raw marks? (1 Viewer)

runnable

HSC
lionking1191 said:
not really, there's only 3k or so people doing eco, and the most popular ones include business and modern - which scales like crap
Economics is the 10th most popular subject in 2008. ie Top 10 as I said earlier.

runnable

HSC
souadhaneen said:
what would an 85-88 raw mark in advanced english scale to??????
In 2003, 73=82. But I'm not sure if this is out of 100% or 105 marks.

4jess7lov

HSC
NB...this list is the uac scaling...meaning after all the hsc nonsense is over..the uac ppl then scale the final mark...so eg 90 in french will be alot better than 90 in art

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
magik22 said:
Economics traditionally has never had that great scaling...sadly.

I think in terms of raw marks to get a band 6, you would need to get at least a 90...because all subjects in actual fact scale down. (besides ext 2 maths, physics, chem...) The question is how much does it scale down.
Economics actually aligns better than physics and chemistry.

In terms of getting a band 6, scaling does not matter, alignment does. Scaling happens after youve got your band 6/band 5 etc.

4jess7lov

HSC
woooooo just realised french ext scales almost as well as 4u eng :D

4jess7lov

HSC
woo and french 2u scales sooooo much better than chem and physics woo

lionking1191

HSC
runnable said:
Economics is the 10th most popular subject in 2008. ie Top 10 as I said earlier.
lol k. i was jus saying how popular =/= scales well

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
Economics actually aligns better than physics and chemistry.

In terms of getting a band 6, scaling does not matter, alignment does. Scaling happens after youve got your band 6/band 5 etc.
How do you know that?

runnable

HSC
lionking1191 said:
lol k. i was jus saying how popular =/= scales well

Lol I wasn't suggesting that either. I said Econ scaled as one of the best within the Top 10 most popular subjects.

lionking1191

HSC
runnable said:
Lol I wasn't suggesting that either. I said Econ scaled as one of the best within the Top 10 most popular subjects.
there goes my AoS reading section

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
scaling is the post bit...i think use have missed the point

lykk...what raw mark does the bos see as what standards....so mark X = band 6, but mark Y = band 5....

so for eco what raw mark would get alligned into what band

and on a different topic...modern history does not fair to badly in terms of scaling, better than ancient legal and business....however economics is the best social sciences and in the top 10 lyk runnable said

every mark gets alligned up(unless its completely terrible), its just the scaling that sorts out the soft and hard subjects(which is predominattly down, unless twofold; u absoultely kill the exam and go very slightly up or very slightly down which is irrelevant, or you do 4 unit maths)

shakky15

HSC
Q2C-ME said:
scaling is the post bit...i think use have missed the point

lykk...what raw mark does the bos see as what standards....so mark X = band 6, but mark Y = band 5....

so for eco what raw mark would get alligned into what band

and on a different topic...modern history does not fair to badly in terms of scaling, better than ancient legal and business....however economics is the best social sciences and in the top 10 lyk runnable said

every mark gets alligned up(unless its completely terrible), its just the scaling that sorts out the soft and hard subjects(which is predominattly down, unless twofold; u absoultely kill the exam and go very slightly up or very slightly down which is irrelevant, or you do 4 unit maths)
im sure someones already stated this, but to clarify:
scaling has absolutely NOTHING to do with the bos.. its done by UAC and they use the final HSC mark for each subject, scale those and then come up with a UAI.. in the process of scaling, practically every subject is scaled DOWN, but dont worry, because when they add up 10 units, to get a number out of 500, a 400/500 (roughly) gets you a 95UAI.. so dont stress too much about scaling..

this aligning business is whats a little more important right now. Your school has sent raw marks to the BOS, and often you see that people doing harder subjects have quite low raw marks (eg - highest in chem in my class is like 88), while easier subjects tend to have slightly higher raw marks. When you do the hsc exams, your paper is marked and added up /100... but then the BOS will align this mark (usually goes up), so that the mark fits in within a band range.. if you look on the BOS website, there are things called 'performance descriptors' which outline what standard is required to get a band 6, 5, 4 etc. If people who got 82+ fulfill the criteria for a band 6, then they will get one (ie - the 82 becomes aligned at 90, and anything above 82 will be aligned accordingly). Thats why some people who were expecting a certain mark are surprised with a good one - they may not have actually got that mark (ie - dont look at ur trial marks and think thats the hsc mark you will get).

ok so now we cleared that up, i have a question .. lol

runnable, where do u get ur stats? where are these raw --> aligned mark ranges published?

munchiecrunchie

HSC
shakky15 said:
this aligning business is whats a little more important right now. Your school has sent raw marks to the BOS, and often you see that people doing harder subjects have quite low raw marks (eg - highest in chem in my class is like 88), while easier subjects tend to have slightly higher raw marks. When you do the hsc exams, your paper is marked and added up /100... but then the BOS will align this mark (usually goes up), so that the mark fits in within a band range.. if you look on the BOS website, there are things called 'performance descriptors' which outline what standard is required to get a band 6, 5, 4 etc. If people who got 82+ fulfill the criteria for a band 6, then they will get one (ie - the 82 becomes aligned at 90, and anything above 82 will be aligned accordingly). Thats why some people who were expecting a certain mark are surprised with a good one - they may not have actually got that mark (ie - dont look at ur trial marks and think thats the hsc mark you will get).
qft

tegannno

HSC
PDHPE seems to scale well, don't you think? I noticed it scales slightly better than Biology.

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
shakky15 said:
im sure someones already stated this, but to clarify:
scaling has absolutely NOTHING to do with the bos.. its done by UAC and they use the final HSC mark for each subject, scale those and then come up with a UAI.. in the process of scaling, practically every subject is scaled DOWN, but dont worry, because when they add up 10 units, to get a number out of 500, a 400/500 (roughly) gets you a 95UAI.. so dont stress too much about scaling..

ok so now we cleared that up, i have a question .. lol

runnable, where do u get ur stats? where are these raw --> aligned mark ranges published?
thank you for ur description, but i was not the one who mixed up the uac and bos concept. the basis of my quuestion was raw makrs to what allign mark...nd no matter how much we all try to estimate or speculate it wil always b an unkown number, although an educated guess can land u close to it. therefore anythin above 85 may get a 90 in eco....but hey to b on the safe side u mite aswell aim for a 90

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
tegannno said:
PDHPE seems to scale well, don't you think? I noticed it scales slightly better than Biology.
yes it does, however it is also difficult get a band 6 in pdhpe i.e. top 5.4% (2004ish i think)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)