Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
im christian, but its kinda messed up cause i was baptised in a "uniting church" currently attend a "baptist church" and go to a "catholic" school
lol

HSC
Well im Orthadox Serbian.

But you know, church and prophets, in my oppinion are all just the mediums through which people recognise morality and justice.

There is so much dispute between religions and churches, which to me, is so dissapointingly funny.

In Serbian Ortahdox, because thats what i happened to be brought up as, because thats what my culture practices. But i dont necessarily completley commit to every peice of religious text; simply because i believe most of it was written for a society so far from mine. Like not washing on sunday's, I still practice... but that its a sin? I dont believe so. I dont believe in hell either.

I find it irionic that people say god gives us free will, to choose between two paths.. but hey choose one and you will burn in hell forver, and the other you will be forever in love? What kind of free will is that!!

I believe god is all loving. And that love is not compramised by the actions we commit. THAT is invented by your various mediums.

Having said that, I still go to church, and believe and aknowledge Christ in my life. But, i also have most of the Quaran, studied into the various sects that believe in the mother godess, and have attended various temples.

Find the common link between all the major religions, and i believe truth is there.

Nhymstral

HSC
Wiccan. Its a great religion. People think that we practice witchcraft, but really all it is is the religion of witches. Wiccan bases most of its beliefs on stopping animal cruelty and treating everyone how you would want to be treated. Its great. Jus thought y'all shood no.
Any who wish to talk about wicca send me an e-mail at:-
Simone.Baker6@education.nsw.gov.au.
Never let other tell you how to run your life, because they don't know what's best for you.

johony

HSC
Athiest. The moment i realised God didn't exist was when i went to an Anglican school at the age of 6. The teachers and ministers talk about God and Jesus, and how great they were, etc, etc.

But after awhile I just saw through the bullshit.

Last edited:

cheap

HSC
Liberal Christian/Buddhist
Synthesis! [::

I've been told I'm not Christian for this and that I'm not Buddhist for that as if it's heresy to integrate the two. Well I'm done with people confining their categorising to claustrophobic parameters when it's clear they don't determine how appropriate my chosen approach to practising spirituality is. I simply believe in morality and all religions strive to actualise this higher ideal.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Fundemental morman.
So I can have multiple wives:)

On a serious note though, I'm an atheist.
Religion is just false hope for those scared of the unknown.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
johony said:
Athiest. The moment i realised God didn't exist was when i went to an Anglican school at the age of 6. The teachers and ministers talk about God and Jesus, and how great they were, etc, etc.

But after awhile I just saw through the bullshit.
Yeah, it's all well and good for them to preach what they believe but it shits me when they try and prove god's existence with such fallacious logic.

Proof and logic is for science. Religion is based on faith and shouldn't require evidence.

edit: soz for double post.

jules.09

HSC
I'm an atheist. But also Buddhist. My understanding is that Buddhism is not a religion and does NOT require worship or temple pilgrimages.

Buddhism doesn't worship a God of any sort and it promotes self-discipline and high morale. It is also parallel to science. Like the idea that everything (composite phenomena) is impermanent and interdependent, and the theory of cause and effect. Nirvana is not heaven but a 'state' where human affliction is annihilated. Basically, you are actually truly 'happy' (lasting) and not merely 'elated' (temporary).

The principle of ahimsa, non violence, is also something I strongly believe in.

That's my post done! :)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
jules.09 said:
I'm an atheist. But also Buddhist. My understanding is that Buddhism is not a religion and does NOT require worship or temple pilgrimages.

Buddhism doesn't worship a God of any sort and it promotes self-discipline and high morale. It is also parallel to science. Like the idea that everything (composite phenomena) is impermanent and interdependent, and the theory of cause and effect. Nirvana is not heaven but a 'state' where human affliction is annihilated. Basically, you are actually truly 'happy' (lasting) and not merely 'elated' (temporary).

The principle of ahimsa, non violence, is also something I strongly believe in.

That's my post done! :)
It depends what buddhism you're talking about... Buddhism as it's practiced in the east is quite different to how most westerners practice it.

jules.09

HSC
Enteebee said:
It depends what buddhism you're talking about... Buddhism as it's practiced in the east is quite different to how most westerners practice it.
Good question. I believe I am more inclined to Mahayana Buddhism.

I personally think it's a different way of thinking between Westerners and Easterners (generalisation) that affects how Buddhism is practised by these two parties. A good analogy for this is over-the-counter medicine versus alternative medicine.

But then again, I can see that a lot of Easterners, who are supposedly Buddhist, who know little or none of the basic Buddhist precepts/practices, engaging in little more than biennial statue tummy rubbing.

Which is rather amusing.

jules.09

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
You mean like the ~50% of aussies who have never read the bible, prayed or been to church (except for their kids' christenings) but still write Christian on the census?
Yes, exactly that.

I don't understand why anyone would affiliate themselves with a particular 'association' when they don't know what the fundamental principles of it are. I am quite serious about this because aside from religious moderation, there are religious ones who will die for their ideologies and at the very least, argue ardently about them.

Take Christianity for example. It isn't the only religion to profess belief in God and love and all that jazz, and it is most definitely not the only source for morality. Further inspection shows us that all these major world religions aren't too dissimilar.

Eversor

HSC
freaking_out said:
evolution theory is just that- a THEORY. don't assume it to b a fact. did u know, that there are a large no. of scientist who reject this theory! anyways, here are a couple of interesting links about refuting darwinism (i.e evolution)

For a basic book: The Collapse of the Theory of Evolution in 20 questions

More advanced book: Darwinism refuted
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!
Anyone who does not accept evolution as fact does not have an accurate understanding of the subject.

Eversor

HSC
Lexicographer said:
You tool. Nobody is trying to FORCE you to join. They are simply trying to gain the attention of those who may already have an interest in it. There are many people who find being a christian extremely difficult in university, where almost all the morals popular among students run contrary to those taught by the faith, and often they do not realise there are groups of christians there to support them.

Similarly, there are just as many people who have NOT heard the whole (or even part) of Jesus' story, the same as any other faith you see evangelised. Nobody complains about the Baha'i posters, yet I assure you they are equally numerous.

As for Muslims handing out pamphlets in the streets - this is EXACTLY WHAT IS BEING DONE. I have seen countless small tables with Qurans and pamphlets, watched by bearded arabs. Nobody complains, nobody cares. If you're interested you can go up to them and ask questions, but they're not going to pull a hard sell on you because everyone called to spread faith (in any religion) knows that only pre-existing conviction will win people over. Unless someone is already interested in faith there is nothing that will convince them to take it up.

It is here that I must say how disgusted I am at members of the "atheist majority" who slam evangelism as "forcing conversion on people" when it is their own secular society that pressures people to abandon their religious values. Quite simply, I and all religious are to some degree sick of society telling us that popular morality is "more right" than that taught by my faith. If you expect me to respect your secular values then you can damn well shut up about me proclaiming my religion.
Lexicographer said:
It is here that I must say how disgusted I am at members of the "atheist majority"

Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"
Lexicographer said:
"atheist majority"

I see ignorance beats logic by a reasounding 81%

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Someone showed me the website for Bob Jones University the other day

I couldn't believe it was a real place at first, but much lol @ it. They're not allowed to do anything normal (like for serious, there's a weirdo dress code and you can't even have a part time job without a fucking chaperone). Fundamentalist wackjobs.

Kannabikki

HSC
I'm not religious myself. I don't mind if some one wants to be religious as long as they are not enforcing their religion on some one else.
Some relegious groups piss me off though, like certain ones that hang around and Pride Parades with rather rude signs and throw eggs ect. Those people need to be hit over the head with heavy objects.

HSC
Eversor said:

I see ignorance beats logic by a reasounding 81%
Lexicographer
Retired 13 May 2006
Last Activity:
14 May 2006, 2:53 AM
mother fucker, I've just lost this twice here trying to get it all down without timing out.

Anyway, here we go again, cos this shit is important. It started out as a post to congratulate you on your timely contributions, but I felt the need to press on. While the initial iteration was eloquent beyond belief, it has suffered some in the multiple retyping, and as such you'll have to make do with the following points for consideration.

* I have NFI what your chart is showing - religious breakdown of mcdonalds payroll, the world, multiple sex offenders? All seem plausible. This is probably quite a different set of data to what you'd find in Lexicographer's university, which is what he was speaking about. Seeing as he beat you to the punch on setting the topic there, if you'd like to disprove his statement about an atheist majority at his university, you'd probably need to discuss it based on that, rather than the good old "hey anyway, look what I found, some random shit!" approach. I think you either deliberately chose to miss this, or misunderstood the post and then went on to argue with an assertion which was not actually made.

* I'd like to think that you'll find more atheists in a university than you would in the wider community, as universities are apparently about knowledge, which is the opposite to religion. This is important to turn over in your head, as it's a very subtle reason as to why some random pie chart from the net probably doesn't correspond to the point which Lexicographer was making.

* Atheists are hard to count - subjective classification, potentially apathetic towards religion-themed research, pressures against declaring atheism in some cases.

* Is there any particular reason why, in the context of what he was saying, Lexicographer wouldn't have also been referring to the "no religion" group from your chart? While (in the case of your data, not his) this still wouldn't have represented an atheist majority, it also stops looking like the ridiculous overstatement you've chosen to interpret it as.

* In future, please jump on posts by people who are likely to reply - it'll save me the time and effort of doing it on their behalf (I try hard to resist the urge, but sometimes I can't help it).

* Provide references when supporting your discussion with someone else's data. It allows people to be much more specific when explaining to you why you are wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)