• Keep rep removed

Votes: 38 23.2%
  • I don't care

Votes: 33 20.1%

• Total voters

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I got negged for no reason by a troll called khan, he made multiple account yesterday only to ned me for absolutely no reason so I contacted mods to help me.
I am against it, it isn't necessary. I'm looking for a tutor so he negged me so people think I'm a troll and tutors ignore me. Some People are using it for the wrong purpose. I think removing the neg reps is the best solution in this case, people either give positive rep or give nothing.
LOL, what's the point of even having rep then?

Rep is essentially your credibility on bos. If you troll, you get negged- and no one takes you seriously.
People who are helpful are repped, and their credibility in reflective of that (usually).

Just because a few people misuse the rep system doesn't mean that it doesn't work as a whole.

Thief

!!
HSC
yes but we are their income
we are their source of hits
we define their business' success
you can kind of compare users to shareholders
Asking for an opinion may have been the more 'respectful' (can't think of a better word) thing to do. But ultimately, it is their decision. Like sure, we may be their income but I'm sure a large amount of people would continue to come here even if they made some bad decisions (lurkers, people who want resources, etc.).

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I think the only reason why people are against rep is because a few people decided to neg indiscriminately and for no legitimate reason. You can't remove a whole system because very few people misuse it.

It's like me going, "hey guys, you're not allowed to buy pain medication anymore because some people are using it for the wrong reasons"

AbsoluteValue

HSC
getting rid of neg rep will not stop people from criticising you or bullying
it could mean people are more likely to directly confront you in threads rather than leave a red bar in your settings and move on

what are your opinions on this^?
I like it that way, I like people to criticize me face to face so I can prove them wrong.
This isn't Facebook for me, I use this website ONLY to ask answer questions, I don't know about you, but I don't like trolls making me look like a troll while I'm NOT...

Thief

!!
HSC
LOL, what's the point of even having rep then?

Rep is essentially your credibility on bos. If you troll, you get negged- and no one takes you seriously.
People who are helpful are repped, and their credibility in reflective of that (usually).

Just because a few people misuse the rep system doesn't mean that it doesn't work as a whole.
I do believe that there are some flaws in the rep system though. As in the people with high rep power just have this rep circlejerk thing going on. It's not really a true indicator of helpfulness in some cases.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
against.

you can neg someone for no reason (or a stupid reason) which makes the system stupid.
One or two people negging you for no reason does not make the system illegitimate. It would have very little impact on your overall reputation.

The reputation system is in place to show appreciation towards someone's contribution, and also to show whether a person is credible. What happens when a bad user goes around purposely giving bad advice, and unsuspecting/new users take it?

Mods wont be on bos 24/7. You need a way to tell the trolls from the real posterzzzzzz

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
Asking for an opinion may have been the more 'respectful' (can't think of a better word) thing to do. But ultimately, it is their decision. Like sure, we may be their income but I'm sure a large amount of people would continue to come here even if they made some bad decisions (lurkers, people who want resources, etc.).
yes that's true, it is their decision

and yes it would've probably been more 'respectful'

which begs another question
do the site owners even care about what the users think
or are the users just faceless statistics in a business

has there been a public announcement about this yet?
are the site owners being callous?
or are we over reacting?

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
One or two people negging you for no reason does not make the system illegitimate. It would have very little impact on your overall reputation.

The reputation system is in place to show appreciation towards someone's contribution, and also to show whether a person is credible. What happens when a bad user goes around purposely giving bad advice, and unsuspecting/new users take it?

Mods wont be on bos 24/7. You need a way to tell the trolls from the real posterzzzzzz
nah people with low reps always get negged for no reason.

Thief

!!
HSC
yes that's true, it is their decision

and yes it would've probably been more 'respectful'

which begs another question
do the site owners even care about what the users think
or are the users just faceless statistics in a business

has there been a public announcement about this yet?
are the site owners being callous?
or are we over reacting?
Overreacting.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I do believe that there are some flaws in the rep system though. As in the people with high rep power just have this rep circlejerk thing going on. It's not really a true indicator of helpfulness in some cases.
But the thing is, these circle jerkers don't really contribute to the school side of the forum. Their reputation has little impact on the overall effectiveness of rep as a means of determining credibility in the school section.

HSC
Uni Grad
'Lurkers' are a myth put out by the liberal elite to patronise and demean the typical BoS user. I mean, what kind of right-minded poster from the interwebs is going to spend his time lurking on forums and creeping on young students, when he could be getting ahead with a reading random wikipedia articles and jacking off to some HD quality fuckfests?

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
I think the only reason why people are against rep is because a few people decided to neg indiscriminately and for no legitimate reason. You can't remove a whole system because very few people misuse it.

It's like me going, "hey guys, you're not allowed to buy pain medication anymore because some people are using it for the wrong reasons"
yes more questions

should uncalled for negging be infraction worthy?
is it even possible for it to be regulated?
what determines a troll neg and a real neg?
is getting the rep back at the expense of infractions for troll negging (restricting freedoms) worth getting it back?

annagurl

HSC
N/A
nah people with low reps always get negged for no reason.
You don't know this.

i'm a low rep user, I don't get negged very often.

Once you build your credibility, you don't get negged as much. This is not an issue of whether a person of high/low rep gets negged or not, it's an issue of the effectiveness of rep in it's entirety.

AbsoluteValue

HSC

Pain medicines can be used in the wrong manner but it is harmful and a sane person wouldn't do it, also, the advantages of these medications out weigh their disadvantages, unlike reps, they are absolutely unnecessary because you can READ what a person is saying to tell whether he is trolling or whether you should ignore him or not, you can't judge people depending on such system which can be easily miss-used. Also you said reps distinguish between trolls and legit users, what if a new user gets negged, like in my case, I'm new here so when that person made multiple accounts to neg me, people would think I'm a troll by looking at the red rank which says "this person should be ignored", removing the system completely might not be the best idea but the system isn't perfect either!

annagurl

HSC
N/A
Pain medicines can be used in the wrong manner but it is harmful and a sane person wouldn't do it, also, the advantages of these medications out weigh their disadvantages, unlike reps, they are absolutely unnecessary because you can READ what a person is saying to tell whether he is trolling or whether you should ignore him or not, you can't judge people depending on such system which can be easily miss-used. Also you said reps distinguish between trolls and legit users, what if a new user gets negged, like in my case, I'm new here so when that person made multiple accounts to neg me, people would think I'm a troll by looking at the red rank which says "this person should be ignored", removing the system completely might not be the best idea but the system isn't perfect either!
once again, using YOUR logic, the advantages of the rep system outweighs the disadvantages (only a select few people would be bothered to make multiple accounts to neg someone).

Thing is, when people ASK A QUESTION, it means they are unsure themself. not all trolls are obvious.

I'm not saying the system is perfect, i'm saying it's stupid to disqualify it when it works for the most part.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
Also you said reps distinguish between trolls and legit users, what if a new user gets negged, like in my case, I'm new here so when that person made multiple accounts to neg me, people would think I'm a troll by looking at the red rank which says "this person should be ignored", removing the system completely might not be the best idea but the system isn't perfect either!
to be fair
most new users are negged
on my first day posting I got roughly 5 negs

you can earn it back by just making normal/helpful posts
people can tell the difference between trolls and newbie's through posts, it's not an intricate system
people will pos rep you if they like your posts. once red not always red.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
'Lurkers' are a myth put out by the liberal elite to patronise and demean the typical BoS user. I mean, what kind of right-minded poster from the interwebs is going to spend his time lurking on forums and creeping on young students, when he could be getting ahead with a reading random wikipedia articles and jacking off to some HD quality fuckfests?
lol oh feenix

AbsoluteValue

HSC
once again, using YOUR logic, the advantages of the rep system outweighs the disadvantages (only a select few people would be bothered to make multiple accounts to neg someone).

Thing is, when people ASK A QUESTION, it means they are unsure themself. not all trolls are obvious.

I'm not saying the system is perfect, i'm saying it's stupid to disqualify it when it works for the most part.
Pain medicines can be used in the wrong manner but it is harmful and a sane person wouldn't do it, also, the advantages of these medications out weigh their disadvantages, unlike reps, they are absolutely unnecessary because you can READ what a person is saying to tell whether he is trolling or whether you should ignore him or not, you can't judge people depending on such system which can be easily miss-used. Also you said reps distinguish between trolls and legit users, what if a new user gets negged, like in my case, I'm new here so when that person made multiple accounts to neg me, people would think I'm a troll by looking at the red rank which says "this person should be ignored". Removing the system completely might not be the best idea but the system isn't perfect either!
I MENTIONED THAT TOO.

gr_111

HSC
i'm a low rep user, I don't get negged very often.

Once you build your credibility, you don't get negged as much. This is not an issue of whether a person of high/low rep gets negged or not, it's an issue of the effectiveness of rep in it's entirety.
I also am/was a low rep user but never got negged.

The reason you don't get negged when you've got a higher rep power is because often you can do more damage to the other person's rep than they can yours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)