Roll Call Prelim 2010 (1 Viewer)

adriano_negr0

HSC
Okay so here is the roll call/discussion thread for prelim year 2010.
In you posts describe your subjects, aims and anything else regarding the prelim hsc.

I'll go first.
subjects; physics, mx1, english advanced, business studies accelerated, economics, SLR
aims; few for maths and business studies, top 10% physics and english, neglect economics and SLR

ur turn :shoot:

HSC
Subjects in sig
Aims: Hoping to top my class in English - both Adv and Ext. Same with Ancient. Gonna be working hard next year methinks...
As for HSC subjects, I'm not sure because I haven't actually started year 11 work yet. I think I may drop from 2U maths down to general, but I came first in the 5.2 course in year 10, so I'm going to give 2U a go first.

Oh well, we'll see... good luck to fellow '11ers for next year!!

Senator111

HSC
I have:
-English Advanced
-Legal Studies
-Business Studies
-Economics
-TAFE Accounting
-PDHPE
-Maths General (to be dropped in the first couple of weeks due to TAFE course)

I am hoping to get the TAFE course done in 1 year (as you sit the major exam at the end of year 11 and can do the rest of the course over X-mas) and then drop PDHPE. I will then only have 8 units to concentrate on.

Other option is to keep PDHPE in case of a bomb out on another subject.

Good luck all!

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
English standard, mathematics advanced, legal studies, business studies, modern history, information processes & technology.
i will probably keep all these for hsc as well.

nathanf

HSC
Advanced English, General Mathematics, Legal Studies, Modern & Ancient History, Studies of Religion ( online/correspondance )

Gonna drop General maths for yr 12, only doing cos I dont have any other options on that line and dont wana do economics by correspondance ( couldn't get a class up for it :( )

FTW

HSC
Subjects in my sig. Also I will be dropping business next year as it is just a filler. Hopefully next year if I get invited into maths extension 2 (I really hope so, but it means i will actually have to do homework next year) then I will have room to drop one more if I want to.

I'm pumped for yr 11. Finally subjects we get to have a say in, that also have interesting courses. Can't wait

mioumiou

HSC
Year 11 subjects:
English, Mathematics Extension 1, Chemistry, Biology, Modern History and Japanese Continuers.

I might consider doing Mathematics Extension 2 and Extension Japanese in Year 12. So I have to drop either Chemistry or Modern History. Which means I will have to do 13 units. But is that wise though?

My ATAR aim: 95+

occer

HSC
N/A
Subjects for next year:

Extension 1 Maths, Modern History, French Continuers, English Advanced, Chemistry, Economics.

I might end up dropping to 2U Maths.

Aims: To eventually get 95+ in the HSC, I'm going to have to try a lot more than I did this year even though most of the courses I'm looking at only have cut offs around 90+.

Cee.

HSC
I regret choosing 3U mathematics. Actually, I'd prefer not to do any maths because I hate it with a passion and I'm most likely to fail in it so why bother doing it? My uni course doesn't require maths anyway so it's kind of useless to me. Currently, I have chosen those subjects in my siggy. Going to drop the whole maths course and do SOR II and Ancient History or Japanese Beginners at the beginning of year 11 (if they let me).

ATAR aim: 90+

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
do ancient, ive heard its really bad to start off with a new language in yr 11 because of the workload you get in other subjects, and ontop of that youre learning how to speak and write a different language :s

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
`Year 11 subjects:
Business Studies, Economics, Legal Studies, English Ext & Maths Ext.
Yes, im a social science freak :p

`Year 12:
Dropping English Ext. and doing English Advanced. Picking up 4 Unit maths :) maths ftw! :D

Aims: To top all my subjects basically, maybe not english, because english sucks. No offence to anyone! sorry :S

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Hi thar.
I'm Harrison,
Subjects
  • Mathematics
  • Standard English
  • Software Design & Development
  • Engineering Studies
  • Physics
  • IT VET (via OTEN, not enough to run it at my school)
  • Music (Digital Recording & Sound Production) (School developed course, board endorsed)

SImon05089

HSC
Okay so here is the roll call/discussion thread for prelim year 2010.
In you posts describe your subjects, aims and anything else regarding the prelim hsc.

I'll go first.
subjects; physics, mx1, english advanced, business studies accelerated, economics, SLR
aims; few for maths and business studies, top 10% physics and english, neglect economics and SLR

ur turn :shoot:
accelerating in business studies =) i want too!! i wish i can accelerate in all my subjects, however accelerating in maths..i think it would be enough for me! but im not talented enough :cry:

but anyways my subjects are in my Sig! and obviously yes, i want to top all my subjects =) ;)

thanks.

acemusic415

HSC
Subjects are in my sig, but I'll reinforce them for the sake of it XD

* English Advanced
* Extension English
* Studies of Religion (hoping to do EE2 in the HSC)
* Mathematics
* Ancient History
* Music I
* Legal Studies

In saying that, I also want to do Arts/Law - Sydney University or UNSW would be nice, but highly doubt that. I'm aiming for at least 95+ so I can get into Macquarie. But I still have two years to think of what I would like to do in Uni.

I requested to accelerate in Advanced English because I wanted to undertake the challenge and I have a real passion for English. However, they pressured me into saying no, because the new head teacher supposedly didn't know the nature of acceleration in high school. He also said that it's never been done before in my school rar rar rar....

But ultimately, I want to try come 1st for all my subjects and score 95+, but preferably 97.

SImon05089

HSC
I requested to accelerate in Advanced English because I wanted to undertake the challenge and I have a real passion for English. However, they pressured me into saying no, because the new head teacher supposedly didn't know the nature of acceleration in high school. He also said that it's never been done before in my school rar rar rar....
Hey, can we actually ask to accelerate the course? Do we talk to the principal or the course teacher about it? I really wanna to accelerate most courses so I can concentrate more time in maths =)! Maths would be dam hard!!

but anyways, do you do really good in english? honestly, im starting to think really..trying to improve my english vocab and writing skills, because that would pull me down in my HSC mark :cry: do you have any hints to do well in english? Im consider starting to read books at least everyday...but man...i have no passion for english!

thanks anyway, laters =)!

acemusic415

HSC
Hey, can we actually ask to accelerate the course? Do we talk to the principal or the course teacher about it? I really wanna to accelerate most courses so I can concentrate more time in maths =)! Maths would be dam hard!!

but anyways, do you do really good in english? honestly, im starting to think really..trying to improve my english vocab and writing skills, because that would pull me down in my HSC mark :cry: do you have any hints to do well in english? Im consider starting to read books at least everyday...but man...i have no passion for english!

thanks anyway, laters =)!
Yeah, for you to officially accelerate, a discussion with your Principal and the subject's Head Teacher is in order. It's really a pain getting everything organised - well I found it really irritating because they were exaggerating everything and attempted to get out of it. Even so, an individual program must be made with different assessments to prevent unfair advantages etc, finding teachers who can help you, because supposedly self-teaching is not allowed. But ultimately, if the department allows you to go through with acceleration, by all means, you have nothing to lose in my opinion.

Well, I'm not like the best in English but I managed to come 1st in my year and 1st in the School Certificate Examination within my cohort. I'm not perfect and I'm still learning however my greatest tip for students who want to do well in English is understand the topic your doing. For instance, we were doing women in Shakespeare, and more specifically feminism, and the majority of my cohort couldn't define feminism and its purpose let alone comprehending to the rest of the topic. My other word of advice is when ever you do an assessment, get as much feedback as possible, because criticism really helps. Most of my friends fear criticism and what the teachers may think about them and their abilities.

Similarly, over this past year, I've learnt that a large vocabulary is a minor aspect of the English course. I wont deny you this fact - a large vocabulary helps only to an extent, but what differentiates the top students within English and the bottom students are the ideas that they raise within their essays or creative writing pieces. A large vocabulary is the ornamental decoration of your assessment, however the ideas and ultimately your thesis you emphasise is the key to a successful mark. The transition from Year 9 to 10, my teacher saw me growing in terms of my abilities in vocabulary and degree in sophisitication. I never really realised, but I got into reading - it doesn't necessarily mean you have to read Jane Austen or Dan Brown, I just read Wikipedia. I came across very sophisticated and intricate words and I looked them up. The one thing I learnt is that when you read and don't understand it - look it up! Never guess in context, unless you have to, for instance in an exam.

Also, one thing I'm going to emphasise before I end this post is that start your assessments as early as possible! Research your texts, familiarise yourself with the themes and ultimately the topic whether it may be journeys or alienation. My best friend and I are the only students who start our assessment on the day or the second day and as a result I came 1st and he came 3rd. Forget what people think and really tackle down the assessment as soon as possible.

Notwithstanding, when you are doing the English Course, do not expect to jump from 60% to 90% overnight. It takes time! I went from 60 to 70 to 80 then back down to 60, and slowly increased back up to 90 then 100. It takes time and you must be patient, you cannot be upset with a small leap in terms of marks. With hard work and dedication, and with careful observation of your competition, you'll reach a satisfying mark!

Sorry for the long post, I hope this helps :)

Last edited:

noeyedeer

HSC
everything in the signature ^^
however I still don't know if i should do Society and Culture or Mod History.
But i'm sticking to mod history for the mo.
In 2011, i'm dropping either mod hist or art or the subject im doing worst in (thinking physics)
hahah good luck to everyone next year =)

SImon05089

HSC
Yeah, for you to officially accelerate, a discussion with your Principal and the subject's Head Teacher is in order. It's really a pain getting everything organised - well I found it really irritating because they were exaggerating everything and attempted to get out of it. Even so, an individual program must be made with different assessments to prevent unfair advantages etc, finding teachers who can help you, because supposedly self-teaching is not allowed. But ultimately, if the department allows you to go through with acceleration, by all means, you have nothing to lose in my opinion.

Well, I'm not like the best in English but I managed to come 1st in my year and 1st in the School Certificate Examination within my cohort. I'm not perfect and I'm still learning however my greatest tip for students who want to do well in English is understand the topic your doing. For instance, we were doing women in Shakespeare, and more specifically feminism, and the majority of my cohort couldn't define feminism and its purpose let alone comprehending to the rest of the topic. My other word of advice is when ever you do an assessment, get as much feedback as possible, because criticism really helps. Most of my friends fear criticism and what the teachers may think about them and their abilities.

Similarly, over this past year, I've learnt that a large vocabulary is a minor aspect of the English course. I wont deny you this fact - a large vocabulary helps only to an extent, but what differentiates the top students within English and the bottom students are the ideas that they raise within their essays or creative writing pieces. A large vocabulary is the ornamental decoration of your assessment, however the ideas and ultimately your thesis you emphasise is the key to a successful mark. The transition from Year 9 to 10, my teacher saw me growing in terms of my abilities in vocabulary and degree in sophisitication. I never really realised, but I got into reading - it doesn't necessarily mean you have to read Jane Austen or Dan Brown, I just read Wikipedia. I came across very sophisticated and intricate words and I looked them up. The one thing I learnt is that when you read and don't understand it - look it up! Never guess in context, unless you have to, for instance in an exam.

Also, one thing I'm going to emphasise before I end this post is that start your assessments as early as possible! Research your texts, familiarise yourself with the themes and ultimately the topic whether it may be journeys or alienation. My best friend and I are the only students who start our assessment on the day or the second day and as a result I came 1st and he came 3rd. Forget what people think and really tackle down the assessment as soon as possible.

Notwithstanding, when you are doing the English Course, do not expect to jump from 60% to 90% overnight. It takes time! I went from 60 to 70 to 80 then back down to 60, and slowly increased back up to 90 then 100. It takes time and you must be patient, you cannot be upset with a small leap in terms of marks. With hard work and dedication, and with careful observation of your competition, you'll reach a satisfying mark!

Sorry for the long post, I hope this helps :)
Thank you so much!! Next year, I will surely spend more time and effort in English, unlike these past years, I hardly put any effort in English. No worries for the long post, but yeah when I first saw the long post...I was like...yeah =)! And that is a really good advice, starting assessments as early. I will!

Once again, thank you so much! I will remember what you said to me in this post.

Thank you =) !! :lol: :) :haha:

klaris

HSC
My name is Michelle. I've posted on here heaps of times before so most you probably seen my posts around.

My subjects:

English Ext
English Adv.
Modern Hist.
Ancient Hist.
Economics
Hospitality.

I'm gonna drop hosp. for year 12 and pick up:

English Ext. 2
History Ext.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)