Rules for Customers (1 Viewer)

groovygirl

HSC
on our computer screens we have signs on it telling us to open a conversation with the customer and smile apparently according to my performance appraisal i dont smile when i greet the customer when i do like wtf

HSC
on our computer screens we have signs on it telling us to open a conversation with the customer and smile apparently according to my performance appraisal i dont smile when i greet the customer when i do like wtf
Because you are the lasting impression that the customer has of the store. What bullshit.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Gelato

When you order, please specify how many scoops you want, and whether you want it in a cup or a cone. I need to know so that I can use the appropriately sized cup. It's pretty difficult to stack three scoops in a single scoop cup. Even more difficult to eat it.

Also, be clear with your order. If you say "Two scoops of lemon", does that mean two in one cup, or two single scoops? In a cup or a cone? Help me out a little here. Even when I ask, people usually ignore me or just say "Yes" to whatever question I ask, then say "No, I wanted ...."

Gives me the shits.

CecilyMare

HSC
Gelato

When you order, please specify how many scoops you want, and whether you want it in a cup or a cone. I need to know so that I can use the appropriately sized cup. It's pretty difficult to stack three scoops in a single scoop cup. Even more difficult to eat it.

Also, be clear with your order. If you say "Two scoops of lemon", does that mean two in one cup, or two single scoops? In a cup or a cone? Help me out a little here. Even when I ask, people usually ignore me or just say "Yes" to whatever question I ask, then say "No, I wanted ...."

Gives me the shits.
Some people can't really see cup or cone, just the gelato in front of them. You're meant to be the one asking 'cup or cone', aren't you?

Do you work at Gelatissimo? My friend and I went there once to have a taste test (yeah i know a bit cheap) but they fully told us off for not buying anything >.>

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Most of the time I do ask if people want a cup or cone, one scoop or two, and most of the time they don't listen. They wait until I do the wrong thing, THEN say "Oh but I wanted..." It's your order, be clear about it so you get what you want.

And it's fucking annoying when people ask for samples and don't buy anything. It's also really annoying when people ask to taste more than one thing. These days I tell them they can only taste one because it's a waste of my time, and we're not at all obliged to give out free samples. Kids especially will be like "Can I taste this and that and the other thing?" just for free gelato.

I work in the cafe at a club, and we sell gelato. I also make coffees and take food orders and all that jazz, but last night I scooped gelato for 8 hours on an insanely busy day so I was pretty fed up with customers.

ALSO. I do get sick of every other person telling me that I must have really strong wrists or sore arms or whatever.

Otacon2009

HSC
I wanted to tell this customer to piss off on Friday. She asked if I could demonstrate how to use Self Serves (fine) but as soon I was about to leave, she expected me to do it all. Only because my weakness is that I'm too nice to people did I do it. Moral of the story? SELF SERVES IS WHERE YOU THE CUSTOMER DO IT YOURSELF AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. DO NOT ASK ABOUT GETTING DISCOUNTS OR PAID TO DO IT AND THE GOLDEN RULE IS THAT YOU MUST DO IT ALL YOURSELVES AND MY ONLY TIME TO STEP IN IS TO CLEAR A WEIGHTING MALFUNCTION OR AUTHORISE A SIGNATURE.

They should have to pay for a membership and part of the application and renewal process is to have an IQ test so I'm not running around explaining the procedure (now tacked on to the bottom of the screen).

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I wanted to tell this customer to piss off on Friday. She asked if I could demonstrate how to use Self Serves (fine) but as soon I was about to leave, she expected me to do it all. Only because my weakness is that I'm too nice to people did I do it. Moral of the story? SELF SERVES IS WHERE YOU THE CUSTOMER DO IT YOURSELF AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. DO NOT ASK ABOUT GETTING DISCOUNTS OR PAID TO DO IT AND THE GOLDEN RULE IS THAT YOU MUST DO IT ALL YOURSELVES AND MY ONLY TIME TO STEP IN IS TO CLEAR A WEIGHTING MALFUNCTION OR AUTHORISE A SIGNATURE.

They should have to pay for a membership and part of the application and renewal process is to have an IQ test so I'm not running around explaining the procedure (now tacked on to the bottom of the screen).
Rofl indeed. I hate customers that expect me to stand there the whole time they are using it so I can help out.

Oh, and I was walking out of self serve to go home one day, and i overheard this:

"We serve ourselves and we still have to pay the same for it".

Felt like slapping that idiot in the face, honestly. There are full service lanes open and available, and express lanes two metres away from where they were lining up.

Tards.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I would much rather use self serve than go through a normal register. That said, I'm not a retard and the Woolies self serve system is pretty simple for me.
Yeah, you'd have to be an idiot to not know how to use them. This being said, this makes 85% of the population who use self-serve machines, stupid.

Seriously, it's not hard. P r e s s - S T A R T.

Last edited:

Kiim2507

HSC
I love self serve but I only use it if I have a basket or less. I hate it when people go with massive trolleys and they take SO LONG because the machine keeps saying un expected weight and they have no idea what they're doing.

Self serve is quick and easy and you can put stuff in bags the way you want it. People who say it should be cheaper are retards. They are probably the ones who can't use it right and have to get staff members to help them (eg staff are still working for them).

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
i quit the newsagents and i probably will never post a story in here ever again yay

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Since working in Self Serve, I have a whole range of new customer rules.

GOLDEN RULE 1) If you do not know how to use Self Serve, PISS THE FUCK OFF! (please)

2) Don't come through Self Serve then say "The service here is so shit" in a raised conversation voice so you try and get me to hear. I really dont care fuckwit.
3) You can remove the bags in the baging area when the light above the scale goes green :)
4) I've already told you twice now, it's because your bratty child is leaning on the scale.
5) These machines wouldn't be so "stupid" if you took a second to have a think/read/listen to the instructions on the screen about what you are or should be doing
6) Don't call me and point at the screen when I am OBVIOUSLY walking directly to you to fix the problem.
7) Please don't rip three quarters of the bags off the bagging area, mess then up then dump them back in the bagging area.....
8) Please take your recepit, it's annoying having them bunch up and fall everywhere.
9) Don't leave your coffee cups, magazines, papers, shopping lists in the basket and deny they are yours when i ask "are these yours?"

This one is probably one of the most annoying:

10) I've got the machine lifted open, errors on the screen, why are you standing there or trying to scan shit when IT IS OBVIOUSLY NOT FUCKING READY. I swear, I will give you a stupid look if you do that.
11) I will check your signature when it comes up on the screen, do not wave it in my face and put it away when I am obviously not looking at it for a reason. Then when I ask to see it, don't have a go at me asking me if I am some sort of forensic scientist. I need to check your card against the signature on the screen, I can't do that when I am waiting for it to fucking load you mongolian..
12) I've told you the recepit takes a few seconds to print on credit transactions, so dont press Yes 27 times after I walk away...
13) Your money is dispensed under the scanner, clearly outlined in the voice from the screen, and the really high pitched beeps and flashing.
14) Keep your fruit/veg STILL on the scale, that is why it is giving you scale errors. Same goes with keeping your hands off the scale, it needs a CONSTANT/STILL reading.
15) Don't try and flag me down 0.23 microseconds after your error has come up, and others have been waiting for a while.
16) Yes, the machine actually D-O-E-S know when you put it in the bagging area, smart ass bitch.
17) Please have some common sense and press "Pay Now" before sooking that your coins and notes won't go in.
18) Don't come running up to me complaining your notes won't go in, and whilst im explaining that you need to push "Pay now", try and jam your notes in the thing, you stupid ass if you listened to what I said you'd know why it wasn't going in with me standing right there watching you.
19) Why do you fricken stand there waiting, and insist on using the machine I am fixing when 4 others are completely free and ready to use?
20) You realize the machine you are using has two bagging racks for a reason? Oh, and if you have 2 things, use a single bagging rack machine, you just forced a trolley to use one instead, idiot.
21) Are you serious, there is a button on the screen which says "Exact Amount Due" and you don't know what to push? *f-a-c-e-p-a-l-m*
22) Don't try scanning the items infront of the screen then wonder why it doesnt work, the scanner has 2 censors on the scales/scanning area.....

There is just one thing, one thing that makes me wonder how stupid some people are. This is probably the thing that makes me wonder the MOST about what has happened to man kind.

HOW DO YOU NOT HAVE ANY CLUE WHAT IT IS CALLED WHEN YOU ARE BUYING IT YOU FUCKING MORON!

Last edited:

Otacon2009

HSC
Rule 17 is a newish one. The NCR software used to let you insert without clicking pay now, though it has been over a month now and people should have taken note of it. May have said this before, though to me, it appears that Self Serves always attract DUTCH people; that is people who Don't Understand The Concept at Hand.

Also, I've been noticing customers placing crap under the self serve monitor. Long story short, a self serve was playing up and the technician forgot to put the screws back in place, meaning one can simply lift the screen up and chuck stuff in there. I wonder how long before a customer gets electrocuted.

HSC
book shop:

conditions of the sale are written on the MASSIVE FUCKING SIGN directly behind me, do not ask me to explain them unless you are blind or illiterate.

what is so hard to understand about the term 'fully priced'? if you don't see a massive red sticker on the front saying "was 32.99 now 19.99 etc" or any other sign of reduction, then it is fully priced.

you need proof of purchase to exchange. i don't care if the receipt is in brisbane, every shop requires proof of purchase and i won't do it without. people should really know this by now.

we gave back $900 in refunds yesterday, and probably the same today some people are such scabs.

had a couple of rude customers today, bad thing is my manager gave them what they want just to get rid of them.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Why the fuck do customers think they can get an exchange or refund without a receipt? I'm not aware of ANY store that will do one without proof of purchase. There's signs all over the shop, at point or sale, and on the receipt itself saying to keep the receipt in case of exchange. and we warn people verbally as well. If they ignore all of that, tough fucking luck. And no, I don't care if you know the owner or wish to speak to the owner, he will say the same fucking thing as I will. ARGH.

Otacon2009

HSC
At our Woolies, it's if it's under $15, we'll give a refund without the reciept. Over $15, we give a special store card. I think the need to return with reciept for refund policy has weakened. I do remember it being "No reciept, no refund/exchange" end of story years ago.

Peartie

HSC
Borders will give store credit for books without receipt...at least thats what i was told by a salesperson...

HSC
Why the fuck do customers think they can get an exchange or refund without a receipt? I'm not aware of ANY store that will do one without proof of purchase. There's signs all over the shop, at point or sale, and on the receipt itself saying to keep the receipt in case of exchange. and we warn people verbally as well. If they ignore all of that, tough fucking luck.
it's like that at my work too. i thought this was commonsense but apparently not. and people seem to think 'oh, but i have the sticker still on it' is some kind of proof of purchase lol, idiots. my manager is too lenient with exchanges anyway, some guy had bought a book for his wife over 60 days ago and she let him refund it. 60 days is more than enough to read a book and exchange/return it, that just lets people rort the system.

Borders will give store credit for books without receipt...at least thats what i was told by a salesperson...
cool. i'll tell all the painful customers to go to borders.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)