• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rules for Customers (1 Viewer)

HSC
shinji said:
there is a thing called a receipt.

but this is a fact for things that happen in the deli. If the ticket price is lower than the actual price that comes up when we weigh it, we have to, by law, charge them the advertised price.

not sure if it applies to that situation though. because it wasn't advertised with a price, but if it comes up at $39, how would he know if it's $49?
yes, but there's a function to change the price that doesn't show up on the receipt. and as i said, i charge for what it says on the barcode, which is the advertised price, so no disagreements.

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
This bitch and her bogan bf came to my checkout the other day. She lays down her basket [no unpacking], pulls out a Club Ginger Ale, then asks me if we have a diet version.

Honestly, how the fuck should I know.
I've never seen it go through, and I assume there isnt, but I said "whatever's on the shelf" and offered to scan slowly whilst she can go check in the aisle which is literally 5m behind her.

She gave me a dirty and just stood there.
Then she turns to her bf and says, "Why do you think I asked?"

Like if my position was closer than yours, I would quickly run to check if I reaaaaaaaaaally had to. I don't like leaving my register as I have supervisor buttons and once you hit something the cash drawer pops open. However, I had to go in the opposite direction 3 metres to go around the service desk, then head another 8 metres to go check on your stupid fucking ass drink whilst you stand there doing nothing.

So seriously people. If you wanted a similar version of the same brand and type, check the shelf and the tickets ffs. I am NOT a personal shopper. Nor do I know every single fucking product in the store. Plus I don't want to say 'no' when we do and vice versa.

Evilo

HSC
CieL said:
This bitch and her bogan bf came to my checkout the other day. She lays down her basket [no unpacking], pulls out a Club Ginger Ale, then asks me if we have a diet version.

I've never seen it go through, and I assume there isnt, but I said "whatever's on the shelf" and offered to scan slowly whilst she can go check in the aisle which is literally 5m behind her.

Like if my position was closer than yours, I would quickly run to check if I reaaaaaaaaaally had to. I don't like leaving my register as I have supervisor buttons and once you hit something the cash drawer pops open. However, I had to go in the opposite direction 3 metres to go around the service desk, then head another 8 metres to go check on your stupid fucking ass drink whilst you stand there doing nothing.

So seriously people. If you wanted a similar version of the same brand and type, check the shelf and the tickets ffs. I am NOT a personal shopper. Nor do I know every single fucking product in the store. Plus I don't want to say 'no' when we do and vice versa.
just reply with "The shelf stock is all we have" or "whatever we have on the shelf is all we've got"

It doesnt really make sense, but they get the jist that if they cant find it, you probably cant either.

greekgun

HSC
CieL said:

u could always call the grocery department, but they would probably have given u a sour look and be a real bitch to u if u call them to get something for u which is real close.

CieL

HSC
Evilo said:
just reply with "The shelf stock is all we have" or "whatever we have on the shelf is all we've got"

It doesnt really make sense, but they get the jist that if they cant find it, you probably cant either.
I did say, "whatever's on the shelf".

But the problem was, they looked and sounded like they didnt even bother checking, like it was a spur of the moment realisation it wasn't diet.

Plus there weren't any grocery people to help me check anyways. It was just me, another senior also serving, and two managers..

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Evilo said:
He is right. At most place the shelf price is the final price (at least that was the go at all the places i worked at*). You'd whinge if it was the other way around.

If the register says the cheaper price there are two possibilities. a) i dont pick it up so you get it for the cheaper price b) obviously there is a mistake in the computer, i know the correct shelf price, and the shelf price is the final price.

*unless someone has obviously fucked with the sign i.e. $3.99 for a slab of beer. Then i refuse the purchase.

EDIT - because im half asleep i missed the above quote

(otherwise its misleading advertising)
i disagree that thats the cast for most places, at woolies it isnt for example., the computer price is the ACTUAL price, the shelf price is the advertised price, and what the customer will most likely pay, for example, when i work cash office on sunday morning, price changes have uploaded to the system overnight, i print of the new tickets, and then activate the price changes, in the time it takes me to get from the office, to the product, the shelf price is just the advertised price, but the REAL price is the one i activated in the computer system

if something got cheaper in the computer, i wouldnt turn around and then jack up the price to the shelf price.

Evilo

HSC
lol i just realised this is a pretty complex thing :p

In my store the new price tickets are posted up from melb a few days early, the day before the price change - we break them up and put them on the shelf backwards. At 9am when the store opens - it takes all of 5min to put all the tickets on straight. (the prices have been changed over night)

greekgun

HSC
Had a shift today working on the express lane, and i had this custyomer come up with a margarine tub and the rest of her groceries. Anywho when i scanned the margarine according to her it was at the wrong price and i told said "Ah, it could be the machine picking it up at the wrong price or something, ill just page grocery and they can go check for me" and then she said "nah thats allright ill just get a different magarine", so i suspened the sale and continued serving other customers. Anyway she comes back and i resume her sale and she goes on about how thats misleading pricing and all of that and how she's going to call consumer affairs and stuff and asked for the receit from the suspended sale. I held it up and said i have to rip this up and before i could rip it up she satches it from me and says "i need this from consumer affairs, i dont care what you have to do with this" and she would stop dam complaining. Then i told her, "listen lady, i was going to call someone from grocery so they can check and i can get the correct price for you, but you walked off to get another margarine before i could so that your fault not mine" and then she went off to the customer service desk to complain.

Now was i at fault here? did i do anyting wrong?

Anywho the rule is: Let the service assistant do his job with out you stuffing it up and contradicting them, they know what there doing so let them do there job.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
what an idiot, why bother complaining then not following through at the store level when it could have been easily resolved

mitch179

HSC
greekgun said:
Had a shift today working on the express lane, and i had this custyomer come up with a margarine tub and the rest of her groceries. Anywho when i scanned the margarine according to her it was at the wrong price and i told said "Ah, it could be the machine picking it up at the wrong price or something, ill just page grocery and they can go check for me" and then she said "nah thats allright ill just get a different magarine", so i suspened the sale and continued serving other customers. Anyway she comes back and i resume her sale and she goes on about how thats misleading pricing and all of that and how she's going to call consumer affairs and stuff and asked for the receit from the suspended sale. I held it up and said i have to rip this up and before i could rip it up she satches it from me and says "i need this from consumer affairs, i dont care what you have to do with this" and she would stop dam complaining. Then i told her, "listen lady, i was going to call someone from grocery so they can check and i can get the correct price for you, but you walked off to get another margarine before i could so that your fault not mine" and then she went off to the customer service desk to complain.

Anywho the rule is: Let the service assistant do his job with out you stuffing it up and contradicting them, they know what there doing so let them do there job.
Similar thing happened to my friend while we were working at Target today. He was on the registers and a customer came up to his register with a Wii game case. Now, any other Target staff member (not just Target), KMart, BigW etc. They would tell you that to purchase a game, you need to purchase it at the soundbar/home entertainment counter because the discs are stored away in a locked drawer for security. To prevent theft and stuff....

Anyway, he politely and clearly explained to the customer that in order to purchase the game, she'd need to go to the sound counter so they can place the CD in the case and then she can finalise the transaction up there without the need to wait in line again.

So apparently, this customer yelled at my friend, saying that she had already lined up for ages and refused to have to wait any longer.

My friend then said "Sorry, but do you expect us to leave expensive games in unsecured cases?"

Now, I didn't hear the tone of voice used, but the customer took it as rude and complained to a manager claiming that my friend was rude to this customer. It doesn't sound like he was, I couldn't really make a fair judgement, seeing as I was out on the floor.

Apparently, the manager didn't really care, so that didn't matter.

So for future reference, I know that this rule has probably already been mentioned before, but I'll say it again anyway

If you are going to buy a game for a Wii, PS3, XBOX360 etc. Take the case to the counter in the sound/home entertainment department, and pay for it there.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
mitch179 said:
Similar thing happened to my friend while we were working at Target today. He was on the registers and a customer came up to his register with a Wii game case. Now, any other Target staff member (not just Target), KMart, BigW etc. They would tell you that to purchase a game, you need to purchase it at the soundbar/home entertainment counter because the discs are stored away in a locked drawer for security. To prevent theft and stuff....

Anyway, he politely and clearly explained to the customer that in order to purchase the game, she'd need to go to the sound counter so they can place the CD in the case and then she can finalise the transaction up there without the need to wait in line again.

So apparently, this customer yelled at my friend, saying that she had already lined up for ages and refused to have to wait any longer.

My friend then said "Sorry, but do you expect us to leave expensive games in unsecured cases?"

Now, I didn't hear the tone of voice used, but the customer took it as rude and complained to a manager claiming that my friend was rude to this customer. It doesn't sound like he was, I couldn't really make a fair judgement, seeing as I was out on the floor.

Apparently, the manager didn't really care, so that didn't matter.

So for future reference, I know that this rule has probably already been mentioned before, but I'll say it again anyway

If you are going to buy a game for a Wii, PS3, XBOX360 etc. Take the case to the counter in the sound/home entertainment department, and pay for it there.
It's not a hard thing to do. I mean, it's a few metres away, can't they see the people operating the counter looking bored out of their mind?

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
My boyfriend and I were at Subway on Saturday, and we were trying to find his wallet while the girl finished serving the guy in front of us, and then this fat woman with 3 little kids just walks into the gap along the counter in front of us and stares at the serving chick. The serving chick looked past the lady and asked what we wanted and the woman glared at her, so she looked the woman in the eye and very politely said 'they were here first, I'm sorry' and continued to serve us. Then another server girl came up to the counter and asked the lady what she would like. At this point this woman was glaring at my bf and I, as if it was somehow our fault she was a rude tart, but whatever. She then turns to the new serving girl and says really loudly 'Who is serving me here?' The serving girl just stares at her and says 'Me, ma'am.'

Fucking artarded woman and her whingy kids. I applaud those Subway staff though.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
mitch179 said:
Your friend had it under control until this point. What is the point of asking the customer that? It is rude imo.

Your friend just should have said "sorry, for the sake of security...blah.....we don't keep the cd's in the actual case..."

And subway is shithouse. None of the stores around my place have eftpos. cash only. wtf is up with that?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
greekgun said:

no i think that that is reasonable, if i was the customer i would just wait for the price check, and then if i was the one in the wrong i would either get another one or pay full price, i would not yell, whinge and complain if i had mis-read something.

unless it was actually marked wrong, or it was misleading then i would take it further but not br rude.

Last edited:

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
greekgun said:

Saying "Listen lady" sure sounds rude to me.

mitch179

HSC
shinji said:
It's not a hard thing to do. I mean, it's a few metres away, can't they see the people operating the counter looking bored out of their mind?
Exactly, most of the time, our store's soundbar is empty. They get like 3 customers an hour on any non busy period (like yesterday)

HSC
CharlieB said:
And subway is shithouse. None of the stores around my place have eftpos. cash only. wtf is up with that?
I work in a sandwich shop, similar to Subway. When we opened, we didn't have EFTPOS and were told it's because during the lunch rush it slows things down. We recently got EFTPOS, and I hate it. It takes a good minute or two to complete the transaction, which slows us down waiting for the machine, meaning some customers are getting fed up with waiting, and are going somewhere else to eat. During non-busy periods it's fine though.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
sorry, you cant complain about lack of EFTPOS

1) it's a privellege, not a right
2) it actually COSTS MONEY to operate, and isnt really viable for small sales

CieL

HSC
live_without_it said:
I work in a sandwich shop, similar to Subway. When we opened, we didn't have EFTPOS and were told it's because during the lunch rush it slows things down. We recently got EFTPOS, and I hate it. It takes a good minute or two to complete the transaction, which slows us down waiting for the machine, meaning some customers are getting fed up with waiting, and are going somewhere else to eat. During non-busy periods it's fine though.
Urgh reminds me of when I used to work in a shop at the food court.
This couple ordered a mass of food, and when it came to paying she just chucked her piece of plastic onto the counter in front of my face.
When I told her that we don't have a machine for EFTPOS, she gave me a 'wtf' glare... I then told her there's an ATM in the centre of the foodcourt which was like 7m away..

She goes, 'ok', then walks off.. I thought she meant, ok i'll get some cash, but no.. she never came back..

Was kinda hard to sell already cut up pizzas and toasted foccacias..

jordankuai22

HSC
CieL said:
Urgh reminds me of when I used to work in a shop at the food court.
This couple ordered a mass of food, and when it came to paying she just chucked her piece of plastic onto the counter in front of my face.
When I told her that we don't have a machine for EFTPOS, she gave me a 'wtf' glare... I then told her there's an ATM in the centre of the foodcourt which was like 7m away..

She goes, 'ok', then walks off.. I thought she meant, ok i'll get some cash, but no.. she never came back..

Was kinda hard to sell already cut up pizzas and toasted foccacias..
i actually lolled

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)