Rules for Customers (1 Viewer)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
xxxx8888 said:
yeah, i also never swipe anyone's card.

you know how some people stand on the other side of the bay area and expect you to walk/lean over to them to grab their card, go back and swipe? i just say 'come around here and swipe your card thanks'. hahaha. it's so fucking annoying and rude. yes. it IS rude. even if you're paying by cash, come around and hand it to me. oh, when i tell them to swipe their card, some people have the nerve to say 'you do it for me' like a pathetic little child. you're 40. do it yourself.

some people immediately get the hint when they take out their card and hand it to me, and i just glance at it and look back at the screen asking them if it's credit or if they want cash out. others just drop it on the scale so i tell them to swipe it. i seriously don't get it. THE MACHINE IS FACING YOU. AT EVERY REGISTER, ALL THE TIME.

i also think middle aged people are really fucking slow. how many times do they go grocery shopping (or shopping in general) exactly, and still never learn to wait until it says 'SWIPE NOW' before swiping their card (unless they've pre-swiped). i've noticed it's always all the young people who wait until it says swipe now.

i've also come to another conclusion. the customers who chuck a fit over me requesting them to unpack their baskets are shit parents who refuse to do any nice favours for their children like picking them up at 2am from wherever. i can just tell.

also hate the dumb customers who keep trying to hand you their card/cash before i've scanned everything.

edit: i think EVERY single staff should ask customers to unpack their baskets then they'll get the hint. i want to stab the dumbasses who say "WELL, every time i've been shopping here, OTHER workers had NO problem unpacking it FOR me. they were HAPPY to do it". ugh. it's so annoying because i know the staff weren't "happy to do it", it annoys them too, but they just don't ASK. I DON'T KNOW WHY. I KNOW IT ANNOYS YOU ALL. JUST TELL THEM TO UNPACK IT.
Customers with cards who expect you to swipe their cards for you at probably THE most annoying thing for me. Mainly because it's a bit arrogant. I don't care if you have a triple platinum mega expensive wealthy people only credit card with a 100 grand limit or whatever, you're the one ordering from McDonalds across from the bloody Knights stadium.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
xxxx8888 said:
yeah, i also never swipe anyone's card.

you know how some people stand on the other side of the bay area and expect you to walk/lean over to them to grab their card, go back and swipe? i just say 'come around here and swipe your card thanks'. hahaha. it's so fucking annoying and rude. yes. it IS rude. even if you're paying by cash, come around and hand it to me. oh, when i tell them to swipe their card, some people have the nerve to say 'you do it for me' like a pathetic little child. you're 40. do it yourself.

some people immediately get the hint when they take out their card and hand it to me, and i just glance at it and look back at the screen asking them if it's credit or if they want cash out. others just drop it on the scale so i tell them to swipe it. i seriously don't get it. THE MACHINE IS FACING YOU. AT EVERY REGISTER, ALL THE TIME.
what's the protocol in stores where the machine is right in front of you but facing the other way? anyone? this always confuses me.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
patty4848 said:
im at coles and i had a customer come through with a whole lot of fruit and veg, and she basically inspected every single thing i put through checking the weight and the price to make sure that i did it correctly. Her reasoning was "don't mind me, im just double checking everything coz you young people never seem to know what you're doing in todays day and age." that was what she said! now i didnt mind that too much at the time because she was obviously just a bitchy customer (every second one is) but i put through her potatoes, and they were really really small (as in some of them were like a 50 cent coin small) so i put them through as cocktail potatoes, and naturally she fixed me up, which again, i was fine with, and i apologised for the mistake, to which she said "Ohh, you must be new here. im sorry i've probably been a little harsh to you. don't worry, i sucked at my job when i first started too." to be honest i was abit pissed off. i know you probably don't think its that bad, but it pissed me off! especially considering i wasn't new...
lol!
i had a customer like that
she gave me potatoes and i put them through as pontiac and she's like NO THEY'RE DESIREE.
man they look exactly the fucking same

and this other bloke. he watched everysingle thing i did and was like 'you always make mistakes' . like 20 mins after he left i saw him at the counter with his reciept and an item and im just like for fucks sake. i've been working for 4 hours, my screen is highly sensitive and i can't make sure i do everything perfect, everytime.

and something for all you people. i actually prefer swiping the cards as well as removing items for the baskets. there's many things i don't mind about work.
it's just the people who don't respond to me i get the shits with

patty4848

HSC
housah0lic said:
lol!
i had a customer like that
she gave me potatoes and i put them through as pontiac and she's like NO THEY'RE DESIREE.
man they look exactly the fucking same

and this other bloke. he watched everysingle thing i did and was like 'you always make mistakes' . like 20 mins after he left i saw him at the counter with his reciept and an item and im just like for fucks sake. i've been working for 4 hours, my screen is highly sensitive and i can't make sure i do everything perfect, everytime.

and something for all you people. i actually prefer swiping the cards as well as removing items for the baskets. there's many things i don't mind about work.
it's just the people who don't respond to me i get the shits with
lol i don't really mind if i make a mistake on something like fruit and veg and the customer tells me because at least i know that for the next one i can get it right. i ALWAYS apologise if i make a mistake, its just a habit, but what really peeved me off was what she said after that (above). that's just bloody annoying.

and also, im in agreement over the swiping thing. most of the time, its quicker for me to do it because i control both screens and i know what's going to come up next so it saves time, especialyl when customers can't seem to read when it says "select account", yet they persist on typing their pin or constantly pressing "ok" despite the weird noise it makes everytime they do. hahaha im sorry to mention this to whoever it was, but i asked one customer "which account" and he replied "50 cash out and a packet of..." i can't remember what the smokes were called, dunhills or something i dunno.

and i always unpack peoples baskets because:
1) its not easy unpacking a basket thats sitting on the belt when the belt is constantly moving
2) i get to choose what comes out of the basket next

surely we're not the only ones who don't mind

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
DownInFlames said:
what's the protocol in stores where the machine is right in front of you but facing the other way? anyone? this always confuses me.
Some of the staff at non-supermarkets actually swipe your cards for you. Such as JB-Hifi, Myers, etc. I hold up my Card to indicate i want to use eftpos, and they sometimes take the card, or indicate for me to hand over the card for them to swipe; and then keep the card till it is approved.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
shinji said:
Some of the staff at non-supermarkets actually swipe your cards for you. Such as JB-Hifi, Myers, etc. I hold up my Card to indicate i want to use eftpos, and they sometimes take the card, or indicate for me to hand over the card for them to swipe; and then keep the card till it is approved.
I've noticed at a few places they don't even swipe it, just like enter in your account number or something (?) and then get you to put in your PIN + ok. Happened at the hairdressers and some other place.

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
shinji said:
okies thanks =) so basically, roll with the punches.

mitch179

HSC
9 times out of 10, I swipe the card for the customer. It's quicker, because most people are such retards that they don't swipe it quick enough and then they wonder why they swipe it 2000 times and it says "BAD READ" each time, and then when I swipe it once, it works, so it works out quicker.

xxxx8888

HSC
i was on express and this old man wanted his newspaper in a bag. so i put it in for him. he asked if i had any big bags and i said 'no, if you want a big bag you'll have to go over to the big registers and ask for one'. which is like, 10 steps away. he was like 'ok' and went off (as in, went home because he couldn't be bothered). he came back and started yelling at me. LOL.

'I'M THE CUSTOMER! if i ask for a big bag i should get one!'
'express only has small bags.'
'NO EXCUSES! I'M A CUSTOMER. IF I WANT A BIG BAG YOU SHOULD GO OVER AND GET ONE FOR ME.'
'i can't leave my register.'
'NO, NO EXCUSES. YOU CAN'T MAKE A CUSTOMER WALK ALL THE WAY OVER THERE! YOU SHOULD GET IT FOR THEM.'
'well. i can't leave my register.'
'NO. YOU SHOULD ASK SOMEONE THEN.'
i turn around to pretend to look for 'someone'.
'NO, DON'T WORRY! here take this (hands me the small bag his paper was in). save it. use it'

lol. it was pretty amusing.

oh, and i dropped cheese into the bag but it missed and fell to the floor. haha, i know. how weird! actually. i was being really careless and throwings things everywhere because this customer annoyed me. har har

customer: WHAT!!! *horrified stare*
me: *delayed response* what?
customer: can you not throw my things AROUND?
me: oh. i thought i was dropping it into the bag.
customer: CAN YOU BE A BIT MORE CAREFUL???
me: IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.
customer: HRMMPHHH.

hahahHAAHAHA.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i would once again like to stress that "out the back" is not some magical fantasy land where there is endless stock supplies all neat and tidy ready for employees to go and collect for customers.

yes, given there is an out the back, there is some stock that will be out there, but most of it is overstocks, special stock that will get put out regularly (in both cases shelf wont be empty) or stock for next week. of the maybe less than 5% of stock that is actually for an empty space 50% of it will not be easily accessible, so please, dont ASSUME that out the back has stock that is not on shelf. By all means ask if it is there, but DO NOT get all huffy and surprised it what is missing isnt out the back.

Most out of stocks are casued by poor planning or unexpected large customer sales, either way not on shelf usually means not in stock

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i find most of those who are pricks of a customer usually have something to do with the way they are raised. their parents either don't care very much about what they do, or they are so rich their parents just grant them whatever they want. in my job, i have to deal with the joneses so often, that i've pretty much immuned to them now.

CieL

HSC
Please do not keep repeating and asking me why we don't stock a particular line.

I DON'T FREAKING KNOW WHY WE DON'T HAVE PLAIN CHOCOLATE COTTEE'S ICE MAGIC!!

CieL

HSC
wuddie said:
pretty sure they don't they don't born jerks.
Clearly you haven't studied Nature VS Nurture.

Unfortunately for the world, some people are born jerks.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Some people just have the OMG I'M A CUSTOMER disease really badly. Being a customer does not entitle you to get whatever you want, it entitles you to recieve the service offered by the place you go to. If that service does not cover your weird/unreasonable demands, that is your problem. I have no problem whatsoever with customers asking if they can have such and such, what I do hate is when you have to say no, and explain the reason, and they still argue back. OMG I'M A CUSTOMER. Yes you are well spotted, doesn't mean I'm going to jump through hoops to do something for you that you're not entitled to/I'm not allowed to do.

When you really get down to it, that's the basis of nearly every rant I've had or will have about customers. Just accept the answer you get and move on with your life for both our sakes. :)

mitch179

HSC
When proceeding to the register to pay for the items you've purchased, please:

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOT EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO BUY. Don't get to the end when I'm about to total it up for you, and you decide, "Hang on, I might buy another cosmetics product" and then have to run halfway across the store to go and get it and then come back to the register. Either pay for the items you've got and then go back in and get it or make sure you've got it when you get to the register the first time.

Also, if you are one of the above people, don't get pissed off at me if I have suspended your transaction so I can serve other people who are waiting in line. You can then wait, and I will finish serving you when I have served the others. I happen to know that the supervisors and managers at my store don't like it if the lines at the registers are a certain length because that means they have to open another register which may involve calling floor staff. Therefore, I must keep the line short by serving others while you are fussing around.

HSC
1. Don't be rude to me, I'm just doing my job. I don't care how shitty your day has been, don't take it out on me.

to employees:

just cause I'm a teenager doesn't mean I'm going to wreck or steal your shit. STOP BREATHING DOWN MY NECK.

funny story:

We were at some food place and the woman ignored my friend for like almost ten minutes and finally someone said "he was here before me" and the woman begrudginly served him.
friend: "can I please have a burger"
server: *stares at him like he's just ordered an elephant on a silver platter :mad1: then check if theres any already made. There isn't. Hurriedly throws together a burger and serves it to friend and walks away without getting money.*
friend: *patiently waits a few minutes to pay for burger. Woman never returns. "cool, free burger." *walk to table* "wtf its cold ! ugh, stuff it I'll get something else."
me: "no no, I'll take it back. Excuse me, this is cold can I please get my money back?"
different server: *gives money we never paid back* "sorry about that!"

OWNED.

bdude

HSC
I think at stores like JB Hi-Fi and Myer they have to hold your card as its quite easy to run off with a $100 bottle of purfume, for example, whilst its more difficult for someone to run off with 15 bags of groceries without someone noticing.

I too get pissed off at people who can't read "PLEASE WAIT" on the EFTPOS screens, or start swiping before I've pressed the eftpos button so they activate the preswipe system.

I also get annoyed at people who want their green bags piled up so much that its hard for even me to lift them.

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
I work at an op shop...

1) it really annoys me when people ask for a discount, then glare at me with their snake eyes when I refuse. a) it's really cheap in the first place, and if I would pay that much, so can you. b) I'm not authorised to. It's the store's policy.

2) Just because I'm young doesn't mean you can trick me. It's insulting. Don't try to pay me heaps less than I told you, then make me ring it up again 3 times and remind you you're wearing the shoes you bought (which you reminded me of about 8 times). Don't pretend to mishear me 5 times. I know I'm quiet but I said it audibly. Don't rip the price tags off clothes and expect me to give them to you for $2. And please, please don't try to hide bags inside other bags you're buying and act innocent when I pull the newspaper out and find them. I may act nice, but I know it was you.

To employees: It's not nice or proffessional to be a total bitch to me just because I'm younger than you. Don't pour your contempt on me, and when I ask you a question, answer it rather than setting me up so you can loudly and rudely throw your company policy at me. I'm not going to argue with you, so you don't need to be impolite about it.

^^^This is why I hate Myers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)