School Captains & Prefects (1 Viewer)

Gigacube

HSC
Yep, Male/Female Captains and Vice Captains, and a Secretary otherwise there are no Year 12 SRC or "prefects" at my school.
Wow, that must make it quite competitive.

At my school there are 12 positions.

What exactly are the advantages of being a Captain? What qualities do teachers look for?
Err...leadership? I think it's how other students interact with you & whether you can get the job done.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Wow, that must make it quite competitive.

At my school there are 12 positions.

Err...leadership? I think it's how other students interact with you & whether you can get the job done.
Not quite as competitive as you'd think. Probably had 12 people overall go for it (I think it was 5 guys, 7 girls), and you immediately knew which ones wouldn't get it.

What exactly are the advantages of being a Captain? What qualities do teachers look for?
Umm... You can voice the opinions of students much better. I have weekly meetings with my Principal where we can argue a point or make suggestions which can work a lot of the time.

Opportunities to go to leadership days/camps (if you're into that, I'm not really a huge fan).

Run assemblies? Haha.

Teachers though, pretty much if they like you and you're a good student they'll be more inclined to choose you. They know who they want in.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I would really to be a prefect, there's no way I'm anywhere near popular enough for captain/vice captain so I wouldn't try for that.

As a prefect I would actually want to do stuff for the school and actually go to the meetings. Most people just want it to put something on their college apps to look good >.< Or to prove how popular they are, they don't care about the school at all. Prefects don't do speeches, but if they ever did, I'd like to do a humorous one.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Even maffs?
Well, every teacher "loves" me pretty much but for one of my subjects, which shall be un-named, the teacher unfairly favours me. It's very creepy.

I basically have three school stalkers.

- A guy that calls me "Cosine kid" and pinches my face.

- A guy that is obsessed with me and calls me cute. He loves my abilities in Maths.

- A guy that's just obsessed with my notes. I wouldn't give it to him, until he threatened to lick me.

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
I would really to be a prefect, there's no way I'm anywhere near popular enough for captain/vice captain so I wouldn't try for that.

As a prefect I would actually want to do stuff for the school and actually go to the meetings. Most people just want it to put something on their college apps to look good >.< Or to prove how popular they are, they don't care about the school at all. Prefects don't do speeches, but if they ever did, I'd like to do a humorous one.
I totally agree with this. I would actually stay at lunch for meetings instead of going home. It also gives you leadership skills which could help in the future.

I know a lot of people who are thinking of trying out for captain or vice are putting in a list of their achievements & activities & are planning on talking about this for the whole speech. A humorous speech would definitely make you stand out.

Gigacube

HSC
Well, every teacher "loves" me pretty much but for one of my subjects, which shall be un-named, the teacher unfairly favours me. It's very creepy.

I basically have three school stalkers.

- A guy that calls me "Cosine kid" and pinches my face.

- A guy that is obsessed with me and calls me cute. He loves my abilities in Maths.

- A guy that's just obsessed with my notes. I wouldn't give it to him, until he threatened to lick me.
Those are some strange stalkers you have there & they are all guys...

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I totally agree with this. I would actually stay at lunch for meetings instead of going home. It also gives you leadership skills which could help in the future.

I know a lot of people who are thinking of trying out for captain or vice are putting in a list of their achievements & activities & are planning on talking about this for the whole speech. A humorous speech would definitely make you stand out.
If you do a speech, don't have it written down so you can read off it. That's the worst.

ciaobella17

HSC
It isn't a popularity contest at our school. We vote for whoever will stand and lead us.
Our school's system pretty much makes it impossible for a captain or vice-captain (we dont have prefects-just two captains and two vice captains) to be chosen on the basis of popularity. They need to fulfill each criteria- Academic, Leadership, Community/Cultural activities, Sport and Spiritual. There are no speeches and only that year votes. You could be the shy-est person at school and fit the criteria the most, and get school captain.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Our school's system pretty much makes it impossible for a captain or vice-captain (we dont have prefects-just two captains and two vice captains) to be chosen on the basis of popularity. They need to fulfill each criteria- Academic, Leadership, Community/Cultural activities, Sport and Spiritual. There are no speeches and only that year votes. You could be the shy-est person at school and fit the criteria the most, and get school captain.
Correct.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^That sounds like a good system. My school it's more popularity centric though you can't be a prefect/captain if you've gotten a certain discipline level punishment-it makes you ineligible.

tranx

HSC
At my school, captains, vice, etc. is sooo rigid some teachers point it out, we had a few ext. 1 math probability questions were the selection of school captancy was rigged lol

enoilgam

HSC
At my school they were elected by the teachers (catholic schools and their image)

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
I am school captain.. Honestly it didn't really affect me, I had some great opportunities to meet people this past year and attend some fun events. Just try, no harm in doing so. LOL and look at my subjects, do you think I am that popular? xD If your school is like ours teachers get a larger vote weight so more than often the leader gets captain while the popular one gets vice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)