Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Its a good idea

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
bigboyjames said:
i agree with you - 2000 years ago, religion was perhaps the best source of morality. Don't take this to mean that I am suggesting religion is valid in terms of divinity, it's positive effects say nothing about whether God exists, etc. In today's world, I think the need for it in schools, govts, etc etc has eroded.
I competely disagree with that statement i think there is more need for it in todays society then there has been ever

u-borat

Banned
HSC
religion, far from unifying man, has tore it apart more than ever in today's society.

spiny norman

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
why is it that all the athiests on these forums are so closed minded when it comes to spiritual, issues, there are many christians in public schools, and if they can get support from a christian whilst there i think that is a great thing for them, even if they are not christian, a christian can be a great person to talk to about issues, we tend to be a good person to talk to, not to mention 90% of us i would say at least are trustworthy ( i was guessing this statistic to make my point)
Though this whole thread has been pretty retarded, this post here takes the cake.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
but scripture has been around in public schools for year's why not a chaplin as well.

this would also be someone who can cater for the needs of the christians in the school

lokilokii

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
but scripture has been around in public schools for year's why not a chaplin as well.

this would also be someone who can cater for the needs of the christians in the school
People seem to keep bringing up these "needs", what could possibly be needed during the school day that a normal school counselor or teacher could not provide?

You come to school too learn, seeking "spiritual help" is your own business and should be done in your own time, it is a waste of school resources the public school system is tight for cash as it is.

If your special christian needs are so important they cant wait 6 hours, join a christian school, its that simple.

goliwog

HSC
People Volunteer to do that. Do you understand what volunteer means? It means performing the work without drawing an income from it.

yes , I had a teacher who taught scripture 5 days a week often without pay. out of a school of 800 odd students only 2 decided they didnt want scripture. (this is a secondary college with year 11 and 12 students , so they are all thinking for themselves)

I think it was very fair that close to 100 % of students in my schools opted to do scripture and that my teacher often didnt get paid ... It is equally fair that the teachers have been presuing him and the board of studies to fire him for the past 7 years even though all but 2 students have decided to do scripture. I also think its fair that after he set up his own room which students donated time to by painting the walls and bringing in posters and couches and board games , that the staff decide to use the class room at another school throw out all of the resources he had collected and make him teach scripture in a store room. I also think its fair that now he finally gets paid for his work he get 20,000 a year for 5 days a week. And incedentilly last time i checked almost 100% of secondary students opted for scripture

Stop posting. Public education is secular.

End. Of. Discussion.
This is the first lesson in education. The world changes and when the world changes we teach skills that will help new students survive in the world. Religion is a transferable skill that will help people survive in any culture. Education is secular but i assume it is also intelegent.

goliwog

HSC
^^^ My goodness he's hit the nail right on the head there. Christians have CHRISTIAN schools for this sort of nonsense. Counselors are more important than chaplains.

So are, I don't know... teachers!

The idiocy in this thread is beyond startling.
Im curious has anyone here actually experienced having a school chaplain ?

spiny norman

HSC
goliwog said:
Education is secular but i assume it is also intelegent.
Irony.

I always felt it quite bothersome in my time at school (both primary and secondary) that my family had to opt me out of scripture into non-scripture, that the default one was Protestant.

lokilokii

HSC
goliwog said:
Im curious has anyone here actually experienced having a school chaplain ?
I've never experienced a school chaplain but I'm sure i can boast how spiritually intellgent i am too my employer once i get my 30 uai result back from missing lessons going to see one.

goliwog

HSC
You're not from Sydney, are you?
LOL now thats funny .... im not from sydney ... from the central coast .... its very different on the coast ... people actually say hello to you when you pass by but at the same time its not too bogan there is still plenty of civilization

But the fact that I come from the central coast probably hasd a major bearing on my opinion. The closest christian school for me was over half an hour away for me. Because of the culture on the coast many many people in christian families are forced to go to public schools. For example there is only 1 catholic highschool that I know of on the entire coast region...

Sweet, how does that have anything to do with the fact that it's not the education department's job to subsidise religious institutions?
since when is it the departments role to neglect students with particular needs ? I mean its ridiculous !!! (allow me to digress but look at the poor muslims .. on a large scale muslims are going to christian schools because the public school has not catered enough for them do you call that at all fair ??? ) It works both ways there are minimum requirements and rites !

goliwog

HSC
The government does not exist to subsidise religions. I can't make this any plainer or clearer.
But the society is based on a christian foundation. We are talking about lifestyle and it is the governments role to ensure students learn skills which allows them to interact in society in a sophisticated manner.

However I would like to say that I do respect your view and others here and have enjoyed this discussion , many of you have made some valid points. However as spirituality is a neccesity to a healthy lifestyle i believe that in some way this needs to be catered for in education. However that is really just my philosophy of education.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
goliwog, are you thick?

we have an extremist at our hands, whats the terrorist hot line number? 1300 ??? ???

goliwog

HSC
Lets look at it like this. The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child states education is a RIGHT. It doesn't give RELIGION as a right, although the right to express this belief, without persecution or discrimination is a right. The Human Rights that the UN has formulated, are based on BASIC NEEDS.
well now I know exactly where you are comming from and i thankyou for sharing your view. I have a friend however in the united states ... it seems that in many states now religion teachers are now being accepted allthough from what i hear the curriculem is superior. Instead of doctrine they focus on literature and history of the bible. For example a term paper for scripture might be analyze the themes in the book of timothy and explain the impact it has had on those in leadership today. So as opposed to the spiritual side it leans towards the academic.

However a lot of our views are shaped by our philosophy of education. For me , my philosophy is based on a quote

[to laocidea] "That their hearts may be comforted , being knit together in love , and to all riches to the full assurance of understanding " col 2:2

Laocidea is known as the wicked and hypocrytical church. But paul told believers that we should not treat them with contempt or conflict but that the answer was to love them and to create a community knit together in love and brotherhood. To seek personal assurance and understanding! For me counselling lacks the personal side just a bit . But at the end of the day if we have a united and close community knit together in love .. that is all that is really important

sorry for getting off tract , but I think we are coming from two completly different worldviews

goliwog

HSC
goliwog, are you thick?

we have an extremist at our hands, whats the terrorist hot line number? 1300 ??? ???
Its ok I wont blow you up ... although I will say jesus loves you which is enough to send any non christian mad LOL jokes

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Hey goliwog, I suggest you study either of religion or politics one day. Especially, have a gander at the word 'secular' and how important it is to the fabric of modern society.

Well, I'm going back to my naughty, naughty, hedonistic, pleasure-seeking ways now.

Hugs and kissses,
Slidey

goliwog

HSC
Yeah, your worldview is incompatible with secular governance. You have full right to pluralism. You have no right to government subsidy

Make sense?
There are 5 generic worldviews of education yours appears to be classical (teach students the academic subjects and achieve excelence) mine is more a mix of reconstructionist and humanist (humanist= letting students choose learning and reconstructionist is preparing people for society). Actually the current education system is a mix between humanism and classical education

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
if religion starts creeping into the public education domain, sooner or later these so called religious characters will start preaching their own agendas, which in turn make this country no difference from middle eastern countries where religion has a strong hold in the education curriculum. most of these countries are graduating as close minded bigots as we have seen with the cartoon saga, teddy bear etc etc.

goliwog

HSC
Hey goliwog, I suggest you study either of religion or politics one day. Especially, have a gander at the word 'secular' and how important it is to the fabric of modern society.

Well, I'm going back to my naughty, naughty, hedonistic, pleasure-seeking ways now.

Hugs and kissses,
Slidey
hehehe I rarely debate politics ... mostly I get into historical/biblical debates ... im just in an odd political mood dont know how long it will last lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)