• Its a bad idea

Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Its a good idea

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters

AppleNader

HSC
Slidey said:
Moral of the story: don't send your kids to a public school if you want them to have an education.

Oh, snap.

someone like you would have no choice but to send their kids to a public school, what with your meagre salary as a teacher and all.

Oh, snap.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
It's true; living on a salary that's about 20 to 40% higher than the average and pays for 52 weeks even though you only work 30 is not enough for me. That's why I have my IT degree.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
Yeah cool, so you support getting in a religious figure to cater for all religions in Australia, not just Christians? Can we throw in an evolutionary biologist or two for the atheists.

'Oh I'm so stressed, my life is so hard, school is so hard... hay I might relieve some stress by nutting out the holes in the evolutionary scale of the horse!'
yeah why not have one for every religion at least the ones in which there is students in the school that adhere to that religion

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
I wonder actually , if Christians in public schools would even utilise the service of th Chaplain? Might be...embarrassing.
I like the idea of a Christian having support....but then again , scripture teachers can be that?
Im not so sure anymore...I wonder how many parents want chaplains in schools?
I disliked my religous teacher. She couldnt stand my asking questions....a nice scripture teacher would be better.
I know many christians who not are at christian schools or used to go and we were actually talking about this last year and they think that they would use it and they know non-christians who would. I know some people like talking to christians about there issues cos they know they are not getting judged.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
Why do you need a Christian to talk to, about school etc? And lets diverge for a second, and just play with the fact that Christianity is still the dominant religion in Australia, which means that it is more than likely that the counselor, or teacher, you are going to be talking to will be Christian anyway. Furthermore, you want to argue that everyone is against your beliefs, when again,
Christianity still dominates in the religion stakes (example. 2001 Census data for North Sydney. 32,383 out of 54,970 individuals identified themselves as CHRISTIAN (any one of the many denominations), while 11,243 responded with no religion. Christianity dominated "No Religion" by nearly 3:1). But yes, everyone is against you!

I guess teachers or counselors who are Christian don't count, because they aren't ordained ministers though.

CHRISTIANS DO HAVE SUPPORT IN SCHOOL! TEACHERS, DEPUTY PRINCIPALS, PRINICIPALS AND COUNSELLORS ALL FORM A SUPPORT NETWORK FOR STUDENTS, REGARDLESS OF RELIGION
ok i see your point, but there is things that only talking to another christian will help, like i said, there is stuff i will only talk to christians about.
Yeah the census says the majority of aussies are christian but there is a difference between claiming to be a christian and actually been a christian

spiny norman

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I know some people like talking to christians about there issues cos they know they are not getting judged.
This must be true, as I'm not a Christian and I judge you to be retarded.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
ok i see your point, but there is things that only talking to another christian will help, like i said, there is stuff i will only talk to christians about.
Yeah the census says the majority of aussies are christian but there is a difference between claiming to be a christian and actually been a christian
that's like saying that Muslim suicide bombers arnt really true Muslims.

STFU and GTFO.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
*TRUE* might be a fundamentalist, but she learns and uses logic. That's cool; I used to be a fundamentalist, too. I'm not saying True will ever stop believing in god or that she always uses logic correctly, but in the grand scheme she's a decent person with a few foibles, but on the right track.

emytaylor on the other hand is not a fundamentalist; she's just somebody who is driving a monster truck down the wrong side of a busy highway because it's easier than obeying the road rules, but not because of any real need (e.g. hope, curiosity, truth, etc). She's not 'dumb', she's not carefree, she's not even deliberately trying to piss people off - she's just not particularly enthused by the way things are. So, without any real premeditation or effort, she just turns a blind eye every time she notices her subconscious practicing bounded rationality - thus delaying indefinitely both the daily mental 'burden' of thinking for oneself, as well as the pervading intangible spiritual discontentment that should be an essential part of the Human Condition. It's not so hard, either - she just makes no effort to reconcile paradoxes, consider alternatives, or pursue her curiosity. A paragon of doublethink.

Not really a sheep because when following involves too much effort she makes an excuse about her bum knee and rejoins the herd when the difficult part is over.

Last edited:

ajfry

HSC
i went to a christian school from years 7 - 10. we had a school chaplain, i rarely talked to her, yet i am a christian.
in fact barely anyone truly opened up to the school chaplain, christian or not - so i don't see how effective it would be in a public school, especially when there many better ways to spend the money.
i think it's completely unnecessary for people like 'spiny norman' to post something so irrelevant and immature.

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
I go to a Baptist school. I'm a passively aggressive person by nature and honestly, I've come close to exploding at some of the more bigotted individuals. Some of the crap they spout, and the spin they put on things, frustrates me amazingly. Especially the entire "peer pressuring" people into religion when the kids are younger and less informed really does irk me. But this the the extreme end of the spectrum, Baptists I mean, so I guess I've learnt a valuable life lesson in learning to cope with extremists.

That being said, I'm at a Christian school, so I expect such things. Chaplains should be attached to schools in a more passive role, where the student seeks them out, rather than the other way around.

ajfry

HSC
baptists are the passive ones in my opinion.
the focus is on scripture more than spirit. (not trying to create any controversy)

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
Wake up around 4AM on a Saturday morning and watch Believer's Voice of Victory on Channel Ten and tell me that.

Or, better yet, try going to one of the churches near where I live. I won't mention the name, but it called all non-Christians "people who would lead you down the path of murder, thieving and destruction" and a man prayed for five minutes for the souls of the those attending Mardi Gras.

Not the gays. The souls of EVERYONE there who "were supporting Satan's grand designs".

Obviously, this is the more extreme end of the spectrum, but it's what I have to live with. Also, a look at the Southern States of America shows you what a progressive and passive organisation the Baptist chuches are.

ajfry

HSC
sorry i meant passive in terms of actually helping the world.
thats why i said 'not trying to create controversy'

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
darcys22 said:
oh noes, anybody without a religion is a TERRORIST
Don't be daft. Anyone who looks even slightly different to me or doesn't have a first name I can easily put "o" on the end of is a terrorist.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
bodyglove said:
Teaching kids religion or bringing religion into the education system, will cause them to make important decisions based on an ancient holy-book instead of common sense. I cannot stress enough how dangerous this is.
I don't think it is dangerous at all, most christians will not force a child or anyone for that matter to make a decision, as we believe that we can not cause them to become christians we just plant the seed it is up to God to grow it.

I think that more religion in schools is what we need.
I think these boards are a perfect example of this. People are so against religions without knowing anything about the religion itself, other then common misconceptions.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
Like what? One must go to church every week, while the other doesn't?

Come on.
Going to church does not make you christian, been in a relationship with God makes you a christian.

Many people believe because they grew up in christian homes, or because they have christian morals, or they know stuff about the bible that they are a christian, when Christ has no place in there lives at all.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I don't think it is dangerous at all, most christians will not force a child or anyone for that matter to make a decision, as we believe that we can not cause them to become christians we just plant the seed it is up to God to grow it.

I think that more religion in schools is what we need.
I think these boards are a perfect example of this. People are so against religions without knowing anything about the religion itself, other then common misconceptions.
it's funny because half the ppl here 'against religion' probably know moar about it than you do :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)