School Leavers Scholarships (1 Viewer)

ke2004

HSC
Just wondering, those of you that have been offered scholarships, did you recieve a phone call or a letter in the mail??

HSC
If you put sydney as your second preference does it lessen the chance of being offered a scholarship?

himmy6996

HSC
yeah i got a scholarship for eco and bus - i rang on friday because im away for the next two weeks dont panic because she just put them in the mail on friday arvo

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Is the Macquarie one, Merit Scholarship? How many get in?

it's a new type of schoalrship introduced in 09 for the first time, and you need a minimum UAI of 98.50

At the open day someone asked the person in charge how many were given out,a nd he said 10, so it's very competitive

However, like Scientia at UNSW, you can use it to do whatever degree you choose (even double degrees) within any faculty

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pwnage101 said:
it's a new type of schoalrship introduced in 09 for the first time, and you need a minimum UAI of 98.50

At the open day someone asked the person in charge how many were given out,a nd he said 10, so it's very competitive

However, like Scientia at UNSW, you can use it to do whatever degree you choose (even double degrees) within any faculty
Damn, I will find it difficult to get in then. :mad:

I am confident about the UAI, community involvment and other random stuff but only 10 people? That's just too hard...

HSC
crap lol, that macquarie scholarship might be more difficult to get than i thought. I know a guy at macquarie who said I would probably get one though considering i was shortlisted for syd, that they let me apply over 10 days late despite saying on the application form that no late submissions would be considered, as well as my UAI.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
olivegreentiger said:
crap lol, that macquarie scholarship might be more difficult to get than i thought. I know a guy at macquarie who said I would probably get one though considering i was shortlisted for syd, that they let me apply over 10 days late despite saying on the application form that no late submissions would be considered, as well as my UAI.
When do you get the reply from Macquarie?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
olivegreentiger said:
true, but as namu said, it's gna be very compeitive since there's only 10 ppl accepted

HSC
lyounamu said:
When do you get the reply from Macquarie?
I honestly have no idea. It says on the application form that successful applicants will be notifed by mail after the secondary school results are released.

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
true, but as namu said, it's gna be very compeitive since there's only 10 ppl accepted
yeah, i know. *sighs* It is probably actually harder to get one from Macquarie than Sydney in this respect.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
People put in all this effort to get 12000 a year from macquarie and some people can just move to 10000 a year scholarship with no paper work. :(

I guess I gotta really work to get 99.90 and lie down on my bed with some sense of security. :(

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Macq said by 24 Dec we will be told

from the confirmation of receipt of application email: "Notification of the outcome of your application will be sent to you by e-mail no later than 24 December 2008."

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pwnage101 said:
Macq said by 24 Dec we will be told

from the confirmation of receipt of application email: "Notification of the outcome of your application will be sent to you by e-mail no later than 24 December 2008."
That would be the best christmas gift for some people then. :)

Good luck to all (not that you need it, but extra luck from namu always helps). lol

HSC
We may all rest assured that namu has given us his blessings in the scholarship department. Our scholarships are secured :p

ssglain

HSC
ke2004 said:
Just wondering, those of you that have been offered scholarships, did you recieve a phone call or a letter in the mail??
Speaking for USYD, you will always receive a response for any scholarship that you apply whether or not you have been offered it. So if you're still waiting for a response, just sit tight. The university is closed from Dec 22 to Jan 2 so there definitely won't be anything sent out during this period. Enjoy your holidays and and find out next year. :)

olivegreentiger said:
If you put sydney as your second preference does it lessen the chance of being offered a scholarship?
I would say that it does to an extent because although they do want to attract high achievers, they also want students who are committed to the university. Having another uni as the 1st preference means that you have a higher chance of turning down the offer. This at least means more administratvie hassle for them. But having said that, don't worry about it too much.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
ssglain said:
Speaking for USYD, you will always receive a response for any scholarship that you apply whether or not you have been offered it. So if you're still waiting for a response, just sit tight. The university is closed from Dec 22 to Jan 2 so there definitely won't be anything sent out during this period. Enjoy your holidays and and find out next year. :)

I would say that it does to an extent because although they do want to attract high achievers, they also want students who are committed to the university. Having another uni as the 1st preference means that you have a higher chance of turning down the offer. This at least means more administratvie hassle for them. But having said that, don't worry about it too much.
well, USYD better not take their time getting back to those of us who have been shortlisted, or it'll lessen the chances of me goin there even more!!! Surely they can get back to us in the next week, as somone earlier in this thread said they called usyd, who said they were posted in the mail on friday

that makes sense, because from what i understand, of teh shortlisted people, usyd ranks them in order of who they want (a process already done b4 UAI's are available), then when UAIs a re available, anyone below the 95 UAI minimum is taken off the list (no one is moved up because they got a 100 UAI or anything), and then they give out scholarship offers to teh first x people on the list, where x is the amount of scholarships the faculty will offer

...lol and it better not be an ENTRY scholarship either!!!!

danz90

HSC
Oh Gosh, I'm gonna be freakin out if I get a letter from USyd tomorrow!
*crosses fingers*

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
Pwnage101 said:
well, USYD better not take their time getting back to those of us who have been shortlisted, or it'll lessen the chances of me goin there even more!!! Surely they can get back to us in the next week, as somone earlier in this thread said they called usyd, who said they were posted in the mail on friday

that makes sense, because from what i understand, of teh shortlisted people, usyd ranks them in order of who they want (a process already done b4 UAI's are available), then when UAIs a re available, anyone below the 95 UAI minimum is taken off the list (no one is moved up because they got a 100 UAI or anything), and then they give out scholarship offers to teh first x people on the list, where x is the amount of scholarships the faculty will offer

...lol and it better not be an ENTRY scholarship either!!!!
what faculty did u apply for, mate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)