• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

selective exams coaching?????/ (1 Viewer)

bubblesss

HSC
hey guys,

sorry if this is a repeated thread but i'd just like to know which coaching colleges provide excellent preparation for selective school entrance exams? this is for my sister. presently she goes to pre-uni new college but i don't see it helping her in any way.are there any ones better than that???? has anyone gone there before or could anyone give me info from past experiences.
thanks in advanced.;)

anfonnee

HSC
When preparing for Selective Test I'd recommend going to one of the big coaching colleges like Pre Uni, James An, North Shore etc... mainly because of the Trial Exams that these places offer, I reckon thats probably the most help. I went to Pre Uni myself, I reckon that helped heaps, (although this was like 6 years ago and a lot may have changed since).
Also these places usually achieve pretty good results, MOST of their students get into a selective school. Keep in mind though the student has to be motivated themselves. If they're not motivated then there's really no point.
Hope this helps.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I personally think getting tutoring just to get in to a selective high school is a bit much, but if everyone else gets it (I live in Newcastle so I don't know much about any competition Sydney kids face in getting into their selective schools) I hope your sister goes well and look over past papers with her, it will help too.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
My brother went to James An.

I think James An boasts about having 90% chance of success or something.

transient

HSC
I've been to Pre-Uni and James An before. For high school years, I don't think group coaching helps that much esp. preliminary and HSC.

However, for selective school coaching, I think James An is pretty good. My sister went for the selective school coaching courses and they gave her alot of tests, feedback and results periodically.

Last edited:

aimhigh10

HSC
The Swot Shop, at Baulkham Hills (Norwest Business Park). I went there, got into North Sydney Girls and Hornsby Girls and got a scholarship to a private school. In the end didn't go to either selective school though.. Oh well, the school i'm at now is worth it.

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
I just graduated from Sydney Girls High School, and I went to James An. Its been like 6 years since I've set foot in a coaching centre but from memory JAC was really helpful because they helped me by literally bombarding me with tests on English, Math and GA.

I don't know about the others but I think that your little sister also has to be motivated since I've heard its much harder now.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Pre-Uni homebush is really good, they give you exams every week.

however, they don't really tell you why you get questions wrong or anything, so you can't really improve.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Fuck, did any of you get in with your own brains?
tbh it'd be impossible to get into a selective school with the shit my primary school taught us.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
tommykins said:
tbh it'd be impossible to get into a selective school with the shit my primary school taught us.
Maybe you're just not that smart, it's just the Asian tutoring?
But you don't seem dumb.
Otherwise, why didn't you change school if it waas so crap?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Maybe you're just not that smart, it's just the Asian tutoring?
But you don't seem dumb.
Otherwise, why didn't you change school if it waas so crap?
lol i haven't gotten tutoring since yr 6 and i'm doing quite well in a selective school, so i'd say my primrary school held me back.

i didnt change school because the location was too convenient, wasn't too hassled with getting into selective school or not.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
tommykins said:
lol i haven't gotten tutoring since yr 6 and i'm doing quite well in a selective school, so i'd say my primrary school held me back.

i didnt change school because the location was too convenient, wasn't too hassled with getting into selective school or not.
Okies :) Seems you're the exception to the rule. Those who seem to conform to that pattern is why I chose to travel the opposite direction every morning.

When didyou decide you wanted to go to a selective school then?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Okies :) Seems you're the exception to the rule. Those who seem to conform to that pattern is why I chose to travel the opposite direction every morning.

When didyou decide you wanted to go to a selective school then?
when my teachers told me i'd be the most likely candidate to getting dux in primary (i've been getting HD's in every competition i've done) and so yeah decided from that.

also considered going to endeavour sports high (i was pretty good at tennis) but since i got into c'bah i decidewd to just go for it.

i'm not against tutoring to get into selective (as some primary schools don't even cover fractions) but if you're inselective and still require tutoring, thers a problem.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
tommykins said:
when my teachers told me i'd be the most likely candidate to getting dux in primary (i've been getting HD's in every competition i've done) and so yeah decided from that.

also considered going to endeavour sports high (i was pretty good at tennis) but since i got into c'bah i decidewd to just go for it.

i'm not against tutoring to get into selective (as some primary schools don't even cover fractions) but if you're inselective and still require tutoring, thers a problem.
Cool, yeah, agree.
Wow, it's strange to think you could have ended up at Endeavour instead of Caringbah... (anyone who knows the schools in this area will know what I mean, lol!)

smile00

HSC
I went for macrob (victorian selective school) a few years ago without any tutoring or anything like that - didn't get in. There were questions on the test that I hadn't even covered in school (trig, circ geometry etc). Had I done better in the mathematics part, I would have gotten in as I was in the top percentile for English and writing. In my opinion, selective schools are just that, they will select you if you are smart enough. I know a girl whose parents were so determined that she'd get into Macrob that they had her tutored every week since Year 7. Not on in my opinion, because once you get into the school (if you do), then you'd need to have tutoring each week because you really are not that smart., it was the tutoring that made you learn how to do the test. Maybe it's different in NSW though so I;m really not that much help and really procrastinating from doing hw.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
you could just be smart and get in.
worked for me =/

oasfree

HSC
N/A
hey guys,

sorry if this is a repeated thread but i'd just like to know which coaching colleges provide excellent preparation for selective school entrance exams? this is for my sister. presently she goes to pre-uni new college but i don't see it helping her in any way.are there any ones better than that???? has anyone gone there before or could anyone give me info from past experiences.
thanks in advanced.;)
The big coaching colleges are pretty much useless for this purpose. My nieces and nephews went to all of these colleges, failed OC badly and later only scrape in selective schools because their parents also hire private tutors to help at home in the year prior to the tests.

I never hire tutor for my own kid but the kid easily secure OC placement. Selective school will be much easier. I suppose I knew what do do while many other might not. I would never trust any of these to coach my own kid because I doubt they have teachers that are more qualified than me on this. If your parents went to University, ask them to teach the kid!

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Pre-Uni homebush is really good, they give you exams every week.

however, they don't really tell you why you get questions wrong or anything, so you can't really improve.
Terrible! My friend is subjecting his daughter to this torture weekly. The little girl has to attend coaching and do trial tests every week. That costs the parents thousands! These silly people believe in a fiction that these blood-suckers have secrets to help the kids into selective schools. They also have a fiction that getting the kids into selective school is a way to prove their genetic superiority :)

The truth is simple. Kids only need to get abut 65%-70% in the tests along with good marks from the schools for Math and English.

I prepared some tough free math tests on my website and I offered them to my friend, he did not even bother looking. So it's clear that some people just blindly believe these coaching colleges. When my kid got top 1% in UNSW math competition he still did not even look at my math tests. He still did not look after he knew that I got my own kid entering an OC class among the top kids of this class. Some parents will never learn!

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Just buy a book and do some practice questions at home. Waste of time and money paying for tutoring just for the selective exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)