Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
eliseliselise said:
yes it should definitely be compulsory!! its an english speaking country!! but i think that maths should also be compulsory coz numbers r@wk.

english is really the only thing preventing me from failing life. because those maths/physics/engineering minded people would otherwise dominate the HSC, & without english there would be nothing to bring them down & theyd be getting a UAI of like 103. it also forces people who do like 4u math, physics, engineering and chemistry to have a bit of variety.

its a widely used skill, that everyone is using at this very moment & there are very few jobs that you wont need at least a teensy bit of english knowledge!!

:lol:
Despite the fact that English is my 2nd best subject (in terms of result), English is basically the only subject that keeps me from achieving the highest UAI that I can possibly get.

EDIT: English drags down most of people's results. I had a friend complaining over his 99.45 UAI because of his Standard English mark. He was telling me I would meet the same fate...

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
eliseliselise said:
yes it should definitely be compulsory!! its an english speaking country!! but i think that maths should also be compulsory coz numbers r@wk.

english is really the only thing preventing me from failing life. because those maths/physics/engineering minded people would otherwise dominate the HSC, & without english there would be nothing to bring them down & theyd be getting a UAI of like 103. it also forces people who do like 4u math, physics, engineering and chemistry to have a bit of variety.

its a widely used skill, that everyone is using at this very moment & there are very few jobs that you wont need at least a teensy bit of english knowledge!!

:lol:
I kinda like the idea of both maths and english compulsary,

because wat about people that do 4 unit english, 5 u of history, geography etc. they dont get any variety either

and it makes it fair for people bad at english.

Um... i didnt realize that u needed to be able to analyse Lear to get a job. (Maybe advertising)

eliseliselise

HSC
nayyarv said:
wat i want to know

Is should it be compulsary for UAI calculation

i.e. if someone gets like high band 6's for 10 units of non-english subjects and gets like a band 4 in english, shouldnt his best 10 units count, not his best 8 and 2 units of english

If u were crap at english would u say english should be compulsary

Looks like all the people who like english are voting

YES! because it evens things out!! its just weird/not fair for people to just do numbery sciencey subjects.

& remember... theres nothing u can do to change it.. so go to your room. shut your door. open your book & play the game.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nayyarv said:
wat i want to know

i.e. if someone gets like high band 6's for 10 units of non-english subjects and gets like a band 4 in english, shouldnt his best 10 units count, not his best 8 and 2 units of english

I sincerely view that English result should not affect the other subjects' results. I know tonnes of people who perform at the top ends in most of his/her subjects but performs poorly in English.

It is quite unfair for immigrants who cannot speak & write English properly. If I was one of those immigrant who must put English as my UAI, I would form a campaign against it.

eliseliselise

HSC
nayyarv said:
I kinda like the idea of both maths and english compulsary,

because wat about people that do 4 unit english, 5 u of history, geography etc. they dont get any variety either
yes, yes sounds good!

nayyarv said:
Um... i didnt realize that u needed to be able to analyse Lear to get a job. (Maybe advertising)
yeah but u'll need to know how to write ur name in eng on the application form & communicate [unless its some freaky microsoft IT job] with customers!! not necessarily evaluate the mise-en-scene of every movie.
:)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
It is quite unfair for immigrants who cannot speak & write English properly. If I was one of those immigrant who must put English as my UAI, I would form a campaign against it.
Its quite unfair for people who don't like English.

It's just a waste of time.

lacklustre

HSC
Whoever created the thread obviously needs help in English.

"compulsary"? :p

HSC
nayyarv said:
wat i want to know

English is the only subject that everyone does, standard and advanced overlap for 40% of the course, so it's another way of finding out who are the all rounders/top students. In this respect, I believe it is important for universities to know. For this reason it should be a factor in the UAI.

Yep. I suck at maths but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be compulsory, because it probably should be.

Nope, looks like a lot of people who see the value of English are voting.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
eliseliselise said:
yeah but u'll need to know how to write ur name in eng on the application form & communicate [unless its some freaky microsoft IT job] with customers!! not necessarily evaluate the mise-en-scene of every movie.
:)
Yeah, lol, that is true

i mean not having english compulsary in yr 1 to 10 is just plain stupid. But u should learn how to write and communicate by Yr 10 (unless ur really dense). I mean after that, with regard to stuff like analysing Blade Runner, or Frontline (bring in the chasers), isnt actually required in life.

Everyone seems to think im asking whether english should be compulsary from Yr 1

.deimonic

HSC
eliseliselise said:
YES! because it evens things out!! its just weird/not fair for people to just do numbery sciencey subjects.

& remember... theres nothing u can do to change it.. so go to your room. shut your door. open your book & play the game.
I don't see how it evens anything out. All it does is give people who are bad at the subject a disadvantage and people who are good at it, an advantage.

I've spent my whole hols on english because I'm so bad at it. I reckon english should be compulsory for the HSC but you only need to pass it. It shouldn't have to count to your UAI.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Studentleader said:
Its quite unfair for people who don't like English.

It's just a waste of time.
Don't get me wrong. I love English. It has been one of my favourite subjects. It is just that the investment I made for this particular subject is astronomical. It took me 3 years of intensive & dedicated English learning to get to this level of English (and I am not happy with my current level).

If English was not to become part of my UAI, I really would have poured all those time into subjects where my true potential & aptitudes lie.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
.deimonic said:
I don't see how it evens anything out. All it does is give people who are bad at the subject a disadvantage and people who are good at it, an advantage.

I've spent my whole hols on english because I'm so bad at it. I reckon english should be compulsory for the HSC but you only need to pass it. It shouldn't have to count to your UAI.
The scaling and moderation of english makes it quite hard to pass, our first progress report stated that with our school's scaling that 50/80 people doing standard english will fail.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
lacklustre said:
Whoever created the thread obviously needs help in English.

"compulsary"? :p
lol :p !! rofl!! i never realized, i spell it the way i pronounce it, and i always get mixed up.

Note to self: write out compulsory a 100 times

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey, guys! I have got solution to all these problems!

Why don't we write petition? Sending a nice little mail to our dear Morris will put an end to these all complaints!

Morris will approve our views if we say that he will be kicked out of NSW parliament by the next election.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nayyarv said:
Note to self: write out compulsory a 100 times
That's the dedication & commitment I want to see, son.

That's the only way in which you can get somewhere in life. :) :) :)

.deimonic

HSC
Studentleader said:
The scaling and moderation of english makes it quite hard to pass, our first progress report stated that with our school's scaling that 50/80 people doing standard english will fail.
Yeah passing should be relatively difficult but not uberly... if you know what I mean. I'm just saying it's slack to count it to a person's UAI cause if they have a weakness in that one subject and their aiming for 99 UAI but get 98.95 instead then that's pretty unfair.

On another note: Maths should be made COMPULSORY as well! But doesn't have to count to the UAI.

lyounamu said:
Don't get me wrong. I love English. It has been one of my favourite subjects. It is just that the investment I made for this particular subject is astronomical. It took me 3 years of intensive & dedicated English learning to get to this level of English (and I am not happy with my current level).

If English was not to become part of my UAI, I really would have poured all those time into subjects where my true potential & aptitudes lie.
Seriously? Wow and I thought studying my ass off on it for a few months was terrible. Guess I should work harder then. :D Btw- do you do standard or advanced?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
I dislike the english course , I like the idea of english, but i believe they could make it much more interesting, with modern films we as teenages can relate to.

There must be one subject everyone does, to compare everyone on the same level, in my opinion.

English, when you think about it, is the most obvious choice, but I believe this should change.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Absolutely not. There's nothing in the course that should make it compulsory for all students. Yes, it teaches certain skills like essay writing (doesn't teach them well, btw, as the questions are far too abstract and answers far too restricted) but these skills are taught in other subjects and more or less need to be re-taught at university anyway since the forms of writing are so very different.

I don't see any reason why HSC choices shouldn't be able to be tailored individually towards strengths and what will be necessary for the individual later on.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
Well if he stays in power that long, i will be suprised

But still, apparently english as a compulsory (Sorry everybody) subject has only been in the HSC since Bob Carr changed it

I mean think about it, but who are the most disadvantaged by having english as a compulsory subject:

People who arent good at english. And those people all tend to be good even brilliant in maths, and science. This is the stereotypical asian/indian. And this is quite true

This also gives people who are good at english a huge advantage over those who arent.

So you can have a one sided subject selection like 4u english, 5 u of history, ecos, geo etc, but if u r good at science, it is 'bad' to have a one sided timetable, and so english needs to be part of that time-table to balance it out.

This is a flawed argument

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
.deimonic said:
Seriously? Wow and I thought studying my ass off on it for a few months was terrible. Guess I should work harder then. :D Btw- do you do standard or advanced?
I do Advanced. I only put my subject as 'English' as I was running out of font. :shy:

I am cruising through Advanced due to my absolute dedication and my 'abstemious approach' towards maths & science subjects to further invest in English. 'cough' & 'cough'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)