Should English Be Compulsary Poll (2 Viewers)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ILUVMYB0YFRIEND said:
It should b compulsary for immigrants to learn English! :mad:
You seriously don't know jack shit at all. English should be compulsory for you to learn English.

Debbo

HSC
English should DEFINATELY be compulsory. I'd say its one of the most universally useful subjects for students. It's not that learning King Lear or Imaginative journeys would be useful in later life, but the critical thnking and the ability to express your thoughts that matter. Plus administrative wise, it's god to have one subject that the whole grade does.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
ILUVMYB0YFRIEND said:
It should b compulsary for immigrants to learn English! :mad:
I'm sure there are immigrants whose English is far superior than yours and whose UAI will also be superior to yours.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
irnirn said:
that's such a stupid q.
Of course it should be compulsory. You go to any country, studying that country's language is compulsory. If we leave it optional then All the Asians and other migrants won't be able to say even "Hello". This will result in a transformation and reformation of Australian culture and language.

ps. It seems like there are quite a number of asians in this forum as they have all voted NO.:D
But the Asians already learnt "Hello" in the compulsory English up to year 10.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure the Asians learnt 'hello' a long time ago. You think just because you don't live in a predominantly English speaking country that you wouldn't know the basics?

irnirn

HSC
learning english or imropving on it means making communication easier with others. now if you don't have that skill then what kind of a job will you get? it should defenitely stay compulsary.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
irnirn said:
learning english or imropving on it means making communication easier with others. now if you don't have that skill then what kind of a job will you get? it should defenitely stay compulsary.
lol at the irony with your shit spelling.

English doesn't really teach you "communication". If you are implying about speeches they don't really teach you about communication because my speaking speed in my recent English speech was about 25-30 words/second and I still got a decent mark and 25-30 words/second isn't good communication.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
lol at the irony with your shit spelling.

English doesn't really teach you "communication". If you are implying about speeches they don't really teach you about communication because my speaking speed in my recent English speech was about 25-30 words/second and I still got a decent mark and 25-30 words/second isn't good communication.
It's more like a typing error than mis-spelling. Everyone can make some typing errors even though they know exactly how the words are spelt.

What he probably means by communication is not necessarily a verbal communication. He is probably implying that learning English promotes the better quality of communication in general between people. In addition, I wholeheartedly agree with that. English may not be a crucial factor in the ways in which we communicate, having a high level of English does help when it comes to expressing yourself. Some people may personally find it difficult to explain the material but with people with good knowledge of English, they have that extra edge over the others when it comes to explanation, expression of the text and the quality of communication we get from those kinds of people is of much higher calibre.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
As much as I hate saying this... I think English should be compulsory - especially in Years 7-10. People need to have the basis to be able to communicate and express themselves, and English allows us to develop skills which we need to do this. Even if you think we don't need it, just like having skills in other areas - having high literacy skills is beneficial.

gangstagrant

HSC
I don't think English should be compulsory especially counting towards your UAI. When i leave school i want to do engineering and i'm in the top few in physics ext maths and advance maths but english is going to bring down my UAI. Learning about Shakespeare and Jane Austen is completely unnecessary. I learn to right essays in other subjects like legal studies and i've had no benefit just distraction from english. If their going to make it compulsory they should make it about english skills like punctuation and spelling but it should not count towards your UAI

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
gangstagrant said:
I don't think English should be compulsory especially counting towards your UAI. When i leave school i want to do engineering and i'm in the top few in physics ext maths and advance maths but english is going to bring down my UAI. Learning about Shakespeare and Jane Austen is completely unnecessary. I learn to right essays in other subjects like legal studies and i've had no benefit just distraction from english. If their going to make it compulsory they should make it about english skills like punctuation and spelling but it should not count towards your UAI
I see, the BOS really needs to focus on writing, grammar speech, punctuation and other necessary English skills, especially spelling.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
I see, the BOS really needs to focus on writing, grammar speech, punctuation and other necessary English skills, especially spelling.
That's the thing.
The BOS I think; has not focused enough on these areas in the primary and junior high school years. Then we have a problem when senior school students cannot write or spell simple words properly. Like for example at my school, some guys in Year 12 have to get readers/writers because their literacy levels are so bad. I mean come on; if you can’t read or write properly you shouldn’t be in senior school.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
That's the thing.
The BOS I think; has not focused enough on these areas in the primary and junior high school years. Then we have a problem when senior school students cannot write or spell simple words properly. Like for example at my school, some guys in Year 12 have to get readers/writers because their literacy levels are so bad. I mean come on; if you can’t read or write properly you shouldn’t be in senior school.
Wouldn't they have disability? I have few here at my own school.

charlesdinio

HSC
ABOLISH COMPULSORY SUBJECTS!!

Why should we have to study a subject we did not elect to?

Because we do have to study it- Why should it be compulsory to the best 10 units if its not one?!

Why don't we study relevant things in English?

Studying English in Germany, China or ANYWHERE is so much more effective than studying it here, they learn the actual language, not useless concepts which NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND appreciates.

Man-up BOS, do something useful.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
Wouldn't they have disability? I have few here at my own school.
They don't have a disability - well one or two broke their arm or something, but most of them are in the Special Education class, so if being in special education is a disability then yes, otherwise they have no problems other than low literacy levels.

kelly jayne

HSC
english shouldnt be compulsary. why should we have to do something we dont elect to do, especially if it wouldnt be in our top 10 units. english may ruin my UAI and therefore i will probably not get into the course i want to at uni. thanks for that.

vds700

HSC
nayyarv said:
READ THIS BEFORE VOTING

the question should be: Should English be compulsary for the UAI?

I think that is the real issue,

Leave ur thoughts on english in the HSC

I just wanted to find out what people thought of English being a compulsary subject, coz loads of people bitch about it at school

English is a shit subject, complete waste of time. When the fuck are we gonna need to know how to analyse texts and remember quotes etc. I reckon it should be compulsory upto year 11, then u can drop it in year 12 if desired.

I fucking hate it, probably whats gonna drag my UAI down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)