Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

lionking1191

HSC
Re: Should English be Compulsory?

scaredytiger said:
see, the thing is, id read your whole post, but my quick look registered your horrible misspelling of regurgitation, overuse of ellipsis, and constant use of "realli" which is supposed to be "really".

and yes, i sound like a bitch, but i learnt to spell in primary school. even if youre "ethnic" - if you know youre bad at spelling, you could at least type it in word and use spellcheck? its not that hard.
ultimate irony - the OP can't spell 'compulsory'

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Re: Should English be Compulsory?

-may-cat- said:
This is EXACTLY what happened to a mate of mine, 95+ in both his math exams, 68 in english = 71UAI. As a result he missed out on his computer science uni course and had to do a bridging course which added an extra 2 years to his degree.
Maybe English should be compulsory but not necessarily have to count towards a UAI...

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
You need an "only for year 11" option on the poll.
I would've voted for that.

studentcheese

HSC
English should be compulsory because it is the code in which we use to communicate. We rely on communication for survival.

midnightflower

HSC
the name i want said:
I like english, it should be compulsory but would be cool if it could be changed instead of studying texts it should be like the SATS all about punctuation ect then ext 1 and 2 ect should be studies of texts.

english is important in teaching people to communicate properly but just all the area of study and modules stuff is crap, analysis of texts shouldn't be as importnant as teaching people proper spelling, grammar etc.
and analysis of texts should be far more in depth than just skimming over them for the concepts

DA15Y

HSC
well i personally think it should not be compulsory, however, since we already done the exams, i really couldnt care less, so the ppl doin the hsc in the future can also suffer, lol

but seriously the exam was pretty straight forward this yr i reckon, i didnt even change my intro dat much

DA15Y

HSC
midnightflower said:
english is important in teaching people to communicate properly but just all the area of study and modules stuff is crap, analysis of texts shouldn't be as importnant as teaching people proper spelling, grammar etc.
and analysis of texts should be far more in depth than just skimming over them for the concepts
that is exactly wat i think... coz analysin texts is not something dat we would do in the future unless if u wanna become a journalist or something

morri

HSC
:angry: :angry: :angry: There is absolutely no reason to have english as a compulsory subject, let alone have it count towards our uai. It is complete and utter bullshit, anyone who trys to tell me different please eff off i have no time for it. I've heard all the arguments for why it should be compulsory, and its all crap. It is not only crap, but, it is a significant disadvantage for students who are more say, maths orientated, they can be maths genious's and get a shit uai because of poor performance in english. journeys. modula a. b. c.

ALL CRAP

people should be allowed to choose...

it doesnt make any sense?!?!?!?!

suzlee

HSC
morri said:
:angry: :angry: :angry: There is absolutely no reason to have english as a compulsory subject, let alone have it count towards our uai. It is complete and utter bullshit, anyone who trys to tell me different please eff off i have no time for it. I've heard all the arguments for why it should be compulsory, and its all crap. It is not only crap, but, it is a significant disadvantage for students who are more say, maths orientated, they can be maths genious's and get a shit uai because of poor performance in english. journeys. modula a. b. c.

ALL CRAP

people should be allowed to choose...

it doesnt make any sense?!?!?!?!

That's exactly what I think....but in a slightly less-agitated way :cool:
It's social injustice!

sparkerasp

HSC
midnightflower said:
I agree with you, but I have to say I do find most english topics interesting, particularly critical theories I find most enticing. For those who are maths orientated it is a disadvantage, so perhaps if they focused more on grammar, then they would be more interested in it?

Then again, what more can they teach us on grammar?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hmm even though i dont like it i still reckon it is a beneficial subject to do. we'd have a lot more cultural douchebags in the long term if english wasnt compulsary

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
sparkerasp said:
I agree with you, but I have to say I do find most english topics interesting, particularly critical theories I find most enticing. For those who are maths orientated it is a disadvantage, so perhaps if they focused more on grammar, then they would be more interested in it?

Then again, what more can they teach us on grammar?
my teacher said they might be introducing more grammar into the syllabus soon. so i guess there must be some things =/

verdades

HSC
gibbo153 said:
my teacher said they might be introducing more grammar into the syllabus soon. so i guess there must be some things =/
Use of semi-colons and the like. Pretty sure there are lots of people who get things like that wrong. Not to mention general ill-use of various other things, like speech marks.

But English, while beneficial, isn't actually necessary for life after school.
I'd say make maths compulsary instead. Because general has all the interest rates etc, and they will be useful when you finish.

Mr Ham

HSC
The ability to decompose texts is meaningless to me. Why do I have learn how to analyse a book if I'll never need to. Its bad enough that English I compulsory, but why does it have to contribute to my UAI? If the course taught literary skills then I'd do it without complaints. But why should I be forced to learn a skill I'll never need?

tbohlsennswssrg

Greenver_420
HSC
Translations of SMS Language

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language:
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language:

<p><a name="Text_Devices" id="Text_Devices"></a></p>
<h2><span class="mw-headline">Text Devices</span></h2>
<p><a name="Single_letters_can_replace_words" id="Single_letters_can_replace_words"></a></p>
<h3><span class="mw-headline">Single letters can replace words</span></h3>
<ul>
<li><i>be</i> becomes <i>b</i></li>
<li><i>see</i> becomes <i>c</i></li>
<li><i>are</i> becomes <i>r</i></li>
<li><i>you</i> becomes <i>u</i></li>
<li><i>why</i> becomes <i>y</i></li>
</ul>
<p><a name="Single_digits_can_replace_words" id="Single_digits_can_replace_words"></a></p>
<h3><span class="mw-headline">Single digits can replace words</span></h3>
<ul>
<li><i>ate</i> becomes <i>8</i></li>
<li><i>for</i> becomes <i>4</i></li>
<li><i>to</i> or <i>too</i> becomes <i>2</i></li>
</ul>
<p><a name="A_single_letter_or_digit_can_replace_a_syllable" id="A_single_letter_or_digit_can_replace_a_syllable"></a></p>
<h3><span class="mw-headline">A single letter or digit can replace a syllable</span></h3>
<ul>
<li><i>ate</i> becomes <i>8</i>, so:
<ul>
<li><i>great</i> becomes <i>gr8</i></li>
<li><i>mate</i> becomes <i>m8</i></li>
<li><i>later</i> becomes <i>l8r</i> or <i>l8a</i></li>
<li><i>skate</i> becomes <i>sk8</i></li>
<li><i>skater</i> becomes <i>sk8r</i></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><i>tomorrow</i> becomes <i>2mro</i></li>
<li><i>for</i> or <i>fore</i> becomes <i>4</i>, so:
<ul>
<li><i>before</i> becomes (combining both of the above) <i>b4</i></li>
<li><i>therefore</i> becomes <i>thr4</i></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
<p><a name="Combinations_of_the_above_can_shorten_a_single_or_multiple_words" id="Combinations_of_the_above_can_shorten_a_single_or_multiple_words"></a></p>
<h3><span class="mw-headline">Combinations of the above can shorten a single or multiple words</span></h3>
<ul>
<li><i>Your</i> and <i>You're</i> both become <i>ur</i> or <i>yr</i></li>
</ul>
<p><a name="Characters_and_punctuation_can_be_removed_to_shorten_messages" id="Characters_and_punctuation_can_be_removed_to_shorten_messages"></a></p>
<h3><span class="mw-headline">Characters and punctuation can be removed to shorten messages</span></h3>
<ul>
<li><i>-in</i> can replace <i>-ing</i> in most cases, similar to that in vocal slang.
<ul>
<li>For example, <i>coming</i> becomes <i>comin</i> and <i>txting</i> becomes <i>txtin</i></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Vowels can be removed such that the sequence of consonants remain and the word is still recognizable.
<ul>
<li>For example, <i>between</i> becomes <i>btwn</i> or <i>b/w</i> and <i>yearbook</i> becomes <i>yrbk</i>.</li>
<li>Another example: <i>Sorry</i> becomes <i>sry</i></li>
<li>Or: <i>Are you there</i> becomes <i>r u thr</i></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Whole words may be omitted, especially <a href="/wiki/Article_(grammar)" title="Article (grammar)">articles</a>.</li>
<li>“/” can signify abbreviation, such as <i>w/</i> for <i>with</i> and <i>s/t</i> for <i>something</i>.</li>
</ul>
<p><a name="Common_Abbreviations" id="Common_Abbreviations"></a></p>
<h2><span class="mw-headline">Common Abbreviations</span></h2>
<dl>
<dd>
<div class="noprint relarticle mainarticle"><i>Main article: <a href="/wiki/List_of_SMS_abbreviations" title="List of SMS abbreviations">List of SMS abbreviations</a></i></div>
</dd>
</dl>
<table class="wikitable" border="1">
<tr>
<th>Word or Phrase</th>
<th>Abbreviation(s)</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Account</td>
<td>acc</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Address</td>
<td>addy</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>At the moment</td>
<td>atm</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Be right back</td>
<td>brb</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Be back later</td>
<td>bbl</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Be back soon</td>
<td>bbs</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Because</td>
<td>cuz, bcuz, bcz, bcos, bc, cos, coz or bcoz</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Best friend or Boy friend</td>
<td>bf or b/f</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Best friend(s) for life</td>
<td>bffl</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Best friend(s) forever</td>
<td>bff</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>By the way</td>
<td>btw</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Can't be assed</td>
<td>cba</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Comment me back</td>
<td>cmb (usually used for <a href="/wiki/Social_networking_site" title="Social networking site" class="mw-redirect">social networking sites</a>)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Definitely</td>
<td>def</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Don't worry</td>
<td>dw</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Forever</td>
<td>4eva or 4evr</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>For your information</td>
<td>fyi</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Friend</td>
<td>frend</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Got to go</td>
<td>g2g or gtg</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Have a nice day</td>
<td>H.A.N.D.</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Hold on</td>
<td>hld on or h/o</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Homework</td>
<td>hw, hwk or hmwk</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>How are you</td>
<td>hru</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>I don't care</td>
<td>idc</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>I don't know</td>
<td>idk</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>I do what I want</td>
<td>idwiw</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>I love you</td>
<td>ily, luv u, ilu, or luv ya</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>If I recall correctly or If I remember correctly</td>
<td>iirc</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>In my opinion</td>
<td>imo</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>In my humble opinion</td>
<td>imho</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Jokes</td>
<td>jks</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Just for laughs</td>
<td>jfl</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Just joking</td>
<td>jj</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Just kidding</td>
<td>jk</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Just to let you know</td>
<td>jtlyk or j2luk</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Know</td>
<td>kno or noe</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Kiss my teeth</td>
<td>kmt</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Kiss my ass</td>
<td>kma</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Laugh out loud</td>
<td><a href="/wiki/Lol" title="Lol" class="mw-redirect">lol</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Lots of love</td>
<td>lol</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Laughing my ass off</td>
<td>lmao</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Laughing my fucking ass off</td>
<td>lmfao</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Laughing quietly to myself</td>
<td>lqtm</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Message (as in a text message)</td>
<td>msg</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Never mind</td>
<td>nm or nvm (depending on context used)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>No problem</td>
<td>np</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>No thank you</td>
<td>no tnk u, nty, no ty</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Not much</td>
<td>nm (depending on context used)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Obviously</td>
<td>ovvi or obv</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Of course</td>
<td>ov cors or ofc</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Oh My God</td>
<td>omg or (comically) zomg</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Parents over shoulder</td>
<td>pos</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Please</td>
<td>plz or plez</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Probably</td>
<td>probz, prbly, prolly, or prob</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Love</td>
<td>&lt;3 or luv</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Peace</td>
<td>pce, pece, or \/ (<a href="/wiki/V_sign" title="V sign">V sign</a>)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Right</td>
<td>rite</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Rolling on the floor laughing (out loud)</td>
<td>rofl(ol)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Rolling on (the) floor laughing my ass off</td>
<td>roflmao or rotflmao</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>See you/see you later</td>
<td>cya, cu, or cya/cu l8er/l8a</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Shut the fuck up</td>
<td>stfu</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Something</td>
<td>sth, s/t, or sumthin</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Son of a bitch</td>
<td>sob</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Sorry</td>
<td>sry, "soz", or "sori"</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Talk to you later</td>
<td>ttyl</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Tata for now</td>
<td>ttfn</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>says</td>
<td>ses or sez</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Text</td>
<td>txt</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Text back</td>
<td>txt bck or tb</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Thanks</td>
<td>thanx, thx, or fnx</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Thank you</td>
<td>ty or "thnk u"</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Thank you very much</td>
<td>tyvm</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Tomorrow</td>
<td>tom, 2moz, 2moro, 2mrw or 2mara</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>To be honest</td>
<td>tbh</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Welcome Back</td>
<td>wb</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>What</td>
<td>wat, wut, wht, or wha</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Whatever</td>
<td>w/e or wateva</td>
</tr>
</table>

Sorry about the long post, but it screwed up from copy and pasting from the source code :-$

HSC
i would worry so badly if it wasnt compulsory. what kind of people would that bring out?
definatly should be compulsory. tough if you dont like it, deal with it.

dp624

HSC
lol english.
tbh i did ten units. and if i didnt do adv eng i wouldnt really know what to fill it with... a language or another science maybe

sirfeathers

HSC
possessionless said:
i would worry so badly if it wasnt compulsory. what kind of people would that bring out?
definatly should be compulsory. tough if you dont like it, deal with it.
i understand what you mean, but you could say the same about other non-compulsory subjects (ie. MATHS)

in any case i feel like there have been other subjects that have tested my "english" skills much better than hsc english has. correct interpretation and application of the english language? history. ability to construct logical and persuasive texts? history. creativity? music, art, drama

i totally agree with your sentiment, however i think that for the above reason it would be much more sensible to make it compulsory for people to do at least one subject from a band of subjects testing similar thinking skills, rather than forcing people to do one highly nebulous subject while discounting the importance of other, and arguably more valuable subjects.

HSC
sirfeathers said:
i understand what you mean, but you could say the same about other non-compulsory subjects (ie. MATHS)

in any case i feel like there have been other subjects that have tested my "english" skills much better than hsc english has. correct interpretation and application of the english language? history. ability to construct logical and persuasive texts? history. creativity? music, art, drama

i totally agree with your sentiment, however i think that for the above reason it would be much more sensible to make it compulsory for people to do at least one subject from a band of subjects testing similar thinking skills, rather than forcing people to do one highly nebulous subject while discounting the importance of other, and arguably more valuable subjects.
but if they made maths compulsory, you'd only really have 6 units to choose in the HSC year.
i agree that alot of stuff done in english is quite unnecessary like deconstructing texts but there are other skills that come out of it.

mikael.cfc

HSC
i dont think it should be compulsary, when you have learn things like the concept of beloning and the concept of change, i dont mind learning essays, speaches etc but srsly reviewing a movie or studying belonging how will this ever help me ?? my opinion keep it compulsary but get tid of the crap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)