• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should English Be Compulsary Poll (3 Viewers)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

le91

HSC
.deimonic said:
Isn't that a bad thing? I can't watch a movie now without thinking- Camera angles! Symbolism! Juxtaposition! etc.

Well if you want to live your life being ignorant of deeper issues, feel free to do so. Still, I don't see how having a critical perspective is detrimental. I do hate English but it is very important especially for academia in Uni and elsewhere. There should be a compulsory 2 units of englinsh and 2 units of math for study and UAI. It should also be compulsory for students to do a humanities and a science, although they don't necessarly have to be counted for the UAI.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
le91 said:
There should be a compulsory 2 units of englinsh and 2 units of math for study and UAI. It should also be compulsory for students to do a humanities and a science, although they don't necessarly have to be counted for the UAI.
Thats getting quite close to the british system as well as the IB, in which u have 4 or 5 compulsory categories, and one elective where u can do another science, language or humanity

Apparently the IB is becoming so popular, that State run schools (mainly selective) are going to offer the IB to their students. (IB = International Bacclaureate, check out wikipedia for more info)

ccc123

HSC
le91 said:
There should be a compulsory 2 units of englinsh and 2 units of math for study and UAI. It should also be compulsory for students to do a humanities and a science, although they don't necessarly have to be counted for the UAI.
Um...why?

Shouldn't students, for the most part, be able to select subjects that coincide with their career aspirations/ interests/abilities?

dumarab

HSC
I think they should teach us REAL english including

resumes
coverletters
you knkow the stuff we'll use during our lives

not the shit like

Analyzing

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
english gives you basic life skills. the ability to speak at least vaugley confidently infront of peers and work mates, the ability to write a formal letter, to coherently write or disect an arguement, everything english gives you, you will need in the work force.
even if you work at maccas for the rest of your life.

preliminary maths should be compulsory, but cover much more of its ground in depth.

tambourine

HSC
i don't like english. i think it shouldn't be compulsory for the UAI. i also think english should be based upon grammar, punctuation, spelling etc as some of you have already mentioned. i think it will affect my UAI in a bad way :(

Edu.kid

HSC
Personally i believe english shouldn't be compulsory for the HSC, however i still believe it is a valuable subject which should be taught up to year 11 only and then we should be given the choice of whether to continue with it or not.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Yes, English should DEFINITELY be compulsary as to avoid the jobs in the country being overtaken by people who do not understand our national language or culture.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
^ with like a 97% success rate for the new citizenship test, i dont think thats the biggest concern we have
lol.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
naisAtoN said:
Yes, English should DEFINITELY be compulsary as to avoid the jobs in the country being overtaken by people who do not understand our national language or culture.
Compulsory*

Also, you're an idiot, no-one "overtakes" jobs, they're just willing to put harder work into the same job. Scared of a little competition?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
naisAtoN said:
Do you realise that people who beat you in other subjects are quite likely to beat you in English as well? They are not stupid. They are already aware that English is compulsory part of UAI. They will still put a lot of effort.

rae77rae

HSC
I totally agree with you 100%!!

dumarab said:
I think they should teach us REAL english including

resumes
coverletters
you knkow the stuff we'll use during our lives

not the shit like

Analyzing

jcurry

HSC
english like totally suks...
why do they make peple do it wen it has no impotence to us
like maibe if theiy did the corse for relavant stuff then yeh but no it suks

HSC
jcurry said:
english like totally sucks...
why do they make people do it when it has no importance to us
like maybe if they did the course for relevant stuff then yeah but no it sucks
lol, you need all the English lessons you can get :p

p.s. I assume that was a joke... *is hoping*

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I think that it shouldn't be compulsory =D

Even if it's compulsory, they shouldn't make it count in the HSC

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
jcurry said:
english like totally suks...
why do they make peple do it wen it has no impotence to us
like maibe if theiy did the corse for relavant stuff then yeh but no it suks
English is compulsary because of people who write like you. :mad: I wish they made math compulsary too.

"English totally sucks...
Why do they make people do it when it has no relevance to us.
Maybe if they made the course relevent, then yes it should be compusary.
But otherwise, it sucks." I AGREE!!

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
russianROULETTE said:
lol, you need all the English lessons you can get :p
Forgot to fix 'suk' and 'yeh' (I think it is better written as 'yeah', if not don't bother).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)