Should I do Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Re: The High School Nonsense Thread

Wait i'm going to text him asking why he thinks I should do chem.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Oh and do Adv English minimum. :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

but I suck at science.
things change.

I would encourage you to choose at least 1 science like I did. (unless you are utterly hopeless at the subject and despise it that much)

If you still end up hating it, you can always drop it in Year 12.

deswa1

HSC

Fawun

Queen
HSC

Oh and do Adv English minimum. :)
but i'm horrible at English. Seriously. Like last week, our teacher made us do the 2011 HSC AOS paper and I just sat there thinking "wtf do I do" while everyone else was writing next to me :(

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

but i'm horrible at English. Seriously. Like last week, our teacher made us do the 2011 HSC AOS paper and I just sat there thinking "wtf do I do" while everyone else was writing next to me :(
Do not worry things change in Year 11 and 12. You have time, I would suggest do Adv Minimum.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I sucked at English (never understood the logic behind it) but I still did Advanced.

Aysce

HSC

Aren't you the one that does standard?
Exactly - I don't want anyone making the same mistake as me.

If I chose adv, could've potentially scored 98.5+.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

they were probably writing bs.

I wasn't that great at English either in Years 7 to 10.

Didn't stop me from choosing English Extension 1.

Fawun

Queen
HSC

Do you know what you want to do at uni? Like what sort of things interest you?

This is a good reason NOT to do chem imo because you'll hate it if you struggle too much.

Exactly.
I probably want to do something like Business or Eco in uni but I have no idea. He just said that chemistry isn't useless and everything that you learn in chemistry will help me in life.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I probably want to do something like Business or Eco in uni but I have no idea. He just said that chemistry isn't useless and everything that you learn in chemistry will help me in life.
To summarise: Chem is part of the Asian 5. And every Ayshun will convince you to do the Asian 5.

You can either:
- Be a conformist and conform to such ideals.
OR
- Be an individual and rebel. Be an anti-conformist and choose your own subs.

Sadly, many Ayshuns were conformists. MANY.

Your choice.

addoil

HSC
Not sure if it'll help but here's my advice..

I wasn't very good in junior science..hated it too because whatever I studied and however much effort I put into it, the exams were always different compared to what we learnt..or maybe it's because I only dead memorized stuff instead of 'understanding' it...

Nevertheless I chose to pick up chemistry, got a tutor before the course started so I could get a grasp of what would be taught in class and be ahead and everything..and now I'm loving chemistry...Why? Because when you actually understand, and I mean understand the concepts, chemistry is not hard at all... Because I enjoy the countless experiments we do in class... And because the things you learn in Preliminary and hsc really do relate to everyday life.

On a side note, I personally don't think you should be put down by your junior years' experiences with past subjects, because most subjects in yr7-10 are not very accurate reflections of the things you do/study in the senior years.

Moral of essay: chemistry.. I recommend :)

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
Chemistry is easy and it scales well, so yes, you should do it.
do mx2, english, chem and phys :)

HSC

Chem is great! If your good at math and enjoy forumlas, Sciences etc. do it for shaw!!!

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC

I sucked at English (never understood the logic behind it) but I still did Advanced.
But would you have done standard if girra offered it? :p
I haven't ever used anything I learnt in HSC chem outside of the classroom. The most relevant thing to the real world is the various environmental/social impacts you study, but really, they're things you should already know, e.g. Pollution is bad for the atmosphere! who would've thunk it!

Chem is great! If your good at math and enjoy forumlas, Sciences etc. do it for shaw!!!
M8. There is nothing past year 9 maths in chem. The most complicated mathematical concept it uses is logs and really, all you need to know is where the log button is on your calculator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)