Snobberry at university (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolbinau

HSC
Usyd Law and UNSW Law and med.

Spent an entire conference yelling 'New South are C*NTS!', with Monash and hundreds of other med kids since they went up to everyone and said 'where from NSW and better than you'. But, yeah I ended up getting some kids admitting that there program was sh*t and all over the place.
That's cringeworthy..can you elaborate more on how the people from UNSW actually acted?

miaowsha

HSC
What the? I'm serious here. I don't want to be stuck for four years around arrogant, pompous, parochial and selfish wankers who have never mowed their front lawn before in their entire lives or who have always had their beds done for them each morning.
Sigh, you clearly create the snobbery. Don't go to UNSW, USYD, UTS or MACQ if you don't want snobbery. If you want people of your level go to UWS :rolleyes:

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Sigh, you clearly create the snobbery. Don't go to UNSW, USYD, UTS or MACQ if you don't want snobbery. If you want people of your level go to UWS :rolleyes:
I agree with this. We all know that snobs are usually from the upper classes.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
I agree with the usyd comment. Obviously i can't stereotype the whole uni but from all the people i talk to they thought they were somehow better than me because i went to macq.
But Terry, that's because they ARE better than you. I guess it could be argued they couldn't possibly know that offhand, so I can give you points for your argument.

I found the same with USYD; while asking a girl for directions to Manning Bar, saying I was from UTS - I got, word for word: "WELL, I must admit that university of Sydney is a better uni than UTS." before I got any directions.

I get snobbery from one of my best friends that goes there too, and many think USYDs image it projects is one of a 'better', 'more prestigious' uni. I really hate uni snobbery. But all that is overgeneralising. I have found the original question here pointless - because as someone said you will always find narrow-minded people wherever you go. I know a lot of nice USYD people that don't seem to care about how you chose your education or what marks you earned. So I think it's harsh to completely generalise a segment of society as snobs simply because of the uni they attend.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Apply for Tafe. I doubt that there are any snobs there.
+1.

OP: To avoid snobs: steer clear of sunlight, computers, books and people.

What a pointless question...
+1.

+1.

Yes. Don't ask how I have three different opinions but all I agree with.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I think you can find likeminded people in any degree at any University. Of the good friends I have from uni, some are from the northern beaches and eastern suburbs, some from Western and South Western Sydney, some from rural areas and interstate. And all are different ages, and some come from wealthy backgrounds, others not so well off.
Their backgrounds do not influence how I think of them, how we treat each other, nor how we did in our studies.

Don't be put off a university by your perception of it - you may find it completely different to what you expected, and in any case, it can only broaden your experience in dealing with different kinds of people (which helps in the "real world" after uni).

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
usyd law and unsw law and med.

Spent an entire conference yelling 'new south are c*nts!', with monash and hundreds of other med kids since they went up to everyone and said 'where from nsw and better than you'. But, yeah i ended up getting some kids admitting that there program was sh*t and all over the place.

=s

Kittikhun

HSC
OK, thanks for the replies guys. I will take them all into account even if some do sound pretty slanderous.

Ben1220

HSC
What the? I'm serious here. I don't want to be stuck for four years around arrogant, pompous, parochial and selfish wankers who have never mowed their front lawn before in their entire lives or who have always had their beds done for them each morning.
What the???

You should definitely not pick university due to how "snobbish" you perceive the other students are. You should pick the course that is best for you, and matches your interests and future aspirations. I would not think that it would be much fun to let people you don't like dictate which course you do / don't do.

And whats with the emphasis on snobby people? Wouldn't it be worse to be stuck in a university where no one cares about the content of the course? Or full of incompetent students who lack critical thinking skills? Frankly I don't care how many times my peers have mown their lawn in the past. It is completely irrelevant, So long as they are interesting people with good ideas and passion for what they are doing then I will enjoy being around them while I am learning, reguardless of who makes their bed.

If your going to try and avoid people at least let it be people who will actually get in your way, such as incompetent students dragging the standards of the curriculum down to the lowest common denominator, abnoxious jerks who interrupt lectures with comments, questions, or relating something to their life story about once every 3 minutes, and constantly interrupt to question the professor on a topic (s)he is an international expert in...

Your aversion to what you perceive to be "snobby people" sounds more like an internal problem for you then an external one. If you are actually worried about snobs before you have even been to university, and are prepared to change your preferences due to the levels of snobiness in the students, then chances are you will perceive snobbiness no matter where you are. You won't beat this irrational thinking by avoiding certain universities. It sounds like you have been somehow conditioned to believe that universities are full of "snobs" which are these mythical 'un-Australian' rich kids who went to private schools and eat caviar for breakfast...

Back to reality... If you already have an attitude like that then you will have a self inflicted disadvantage at university. Academia has got nothing to do with wealth. It is about knowledge and critical thinking. Creating and discovering new knowledge, developing academic fields, teaching knowledge and developing intellectual virtues in students. It is not about whose parents have a bigger boat. Grow up a little, you're not in highschool any more, no one who is going to last at uni cares about petty shit like whose parents drive a convertible... Its time for you to transcend above that level of thinking.

ascentyx

HSC
But Terry, that's because they ARE better than you.
It's funny because the same people i talk to call UTS the 'super tafe'. I guess that's just because they ARE better than you as well.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
apparently law students are very snobby because they think they will make a lot of money some day. same with commerce and med students.... their number 1 focus is to beat everyone else ie be snobby. psych students are massive snobs because they think they know everything about everyone. engineering and science students are snobs because they think their heaps smart and are going to change the world someday with their brilliant work. arts students are also snobby because theyre enjoying themselves more than everyone else due to their flexible degree.

so sorry... but it looks like you may have to go to tafe.

Danzboy

HSC
USYD!!!!!!!!!!!!! USYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snobby people go to USYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

This is only cause at orientation day there was this chick at the engineering stand with this smug look on her face telling people how they dont accept people with Low UAI's and how only the smartest go to usyd.

i then looked at her shoes and they were untied. and i was like AHUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTTCHYA! lol.

There are snobby people in every uni mate. In every coarse regardless.

Actually, i havnt seen much in science and engineering. but that dont mean they dont exist

Law and buisness, thats where they are lol.

Danzboy

HSC
apparently law students are very snobby because they think they will make a lot of money some day. same with commerce and med students.... their number 1 focus is to beat everyone else ie be snobby. psych students are massive snobs because they think they know everything about everyone. engineering and science students are snobs because they think their heaps smart and are going to change the world someday with their brilliant work. arts students are also snobby because theyre enjoying themselves more than everyone else due to their flexible degree.

so sorry... but it looks like you may have to go to tafe.

THis is the biggest load of bull i have ever read. Well atleast for the engineering part :)

Where did you get this info? I know at UTS eng students are very far away from snobby. And they dont think they are smart. Trust me. Ask them and youll see.

Enjoy your day :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)