SOFT subjects (the easy way out) . Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
the name i want said:
Hooray for soft subjects

- v.a -
-design
-business
-ad english
-modern history

is it still possible to get a UAI of 86?? lol i really dont know
No doing these subjects doesn't allow you to get a UAI over 81, didn't you read the guide?

HSC
risole91 said:
No doing these subjects doesn't allow you to get a UAI over 81, didn't you read the guide?
i dont know about the guide lol i just picked subjects lol even if your getting in 90 in all of them you still cant get over?

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
the name i want said:
i dont know about the guide lol i just picked subjects lol even if your getting in 90 in all of them you still cant get over?
It depends on your rank, the performance of your year group, and your own HSC marks. You can get 90+ with any combination of subjects, as long as you do well in both your assesment and exam marks.

HSC
squeenie said:
It depends on your rank, the performance of your year group, and your own HSC marks. You can get 90+ with any combination of subjects, as long as you do well in both your assesment and exam marks.
oh well im okay then, it just depends on my years performance

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
risole91 said:
ahh squeenie, read my other posts in this thread...then turn on your sarcasm detector.
I suck at detecting sarcasm.

Even when I'm not on the interwebs.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
squeenie said:
I suck at detecting sarcasm.

Even when I'm not on the interwebs.
Well, i'm against the 'soft subject thing.
I agree with your domination of black magics mass long post before.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
risole91 said:
Well, i'm against the 'soft subject thing.
I agree with your domination of black magics mass long post before.
I just felt like antagonising the troll. It was mostly for the lulz.

HSC
risole91 said:
Idiot, Your opinions, which you are entitled too, are so bad.
No, your opinion is fucking stupid.

The HSC is a load of shit nowdays. Government policy is based on the idea that by exposing poorer people to higher education you improve their economic status, hence why there's been a push for 'practical' subjects in schooling. By law a school is required to give a student EVERY CHANCE to complete the HSC. Even if you put in next to no effort as long as you're doing something you can pass. Soon all students will be required to complete the HSC.

This philosophy doesn't work because for the most part it devalues education, universities are moving in the same direction too with bullshit degrees like 'B Social Work' or 'B Surfing Management'.

Mandatory education should end with the SC. The HSC should be a higher education system for those looking at teriary studies. And if you don't like it crawl back to whatever 'politically correct' hole you came out of.

I baited my last post to say this.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
No, your opinion is fucking stupid.

The HSC is a load of shit nowdays. Government policy is based on the idea that by exposing poorer people to higher education you improve their economic status, hence why there's been a push for 'practical' subjects in schooling. By law a school is required to give a student EVERY CHANCE to complete the HSC. Even if you put in next to no effort as long as you're doing something you can pass. Soon all students will be required to complete the HSC.

This philosophy doesn't work because for the most part it devalues education, universities are moving in the same direction too with bullshit degrees like 'B Social Work' or 'B Surfing Management'.

Mandatory education should end with the SC. The HSC should be a higher education system for those looking at teriary studies. And if you don't like it crawl back to whatever 'politically correct' hole you came out of.

I baited my last post to say this.
I actually agree with most of that. That being said, it doesn't change that 'soft subjects' are untrue. A subject that you call soft, for someone else may be hard.

Is B surfing management a real degree? lol.

Elly!

HSC
well...OP: u really shouldn't get all high and mightly because some people are doing 'soft' subjects, and you aren't. have you thought that some might not be the same level inteligence as you? at least they're having a go at the HSC. they could just go and get a job as a checkout person. but no, they try. get off your high horse, k?

also, you mentioned scaling....did you know they don't actually do that anymore? they *used* to scale. our science teachers said they did to get us to do physics and chemistry. but no, scaling is non existant. besides, it wouldn't matter unless you got above the state average anyway. so you can go do physics and chemistry and 325 uinits worth of advanced anything, it doesn't matter unless you actually do well.

meh. don't you love a good rant forum?

runnable

HSC
Elly! said:
also, you mentioned scaling....did you know they don't actually do that anymore? they *used* to scale. our science teachers said they did to get us to do physics and chemistry. but no, scaling is non existant. besides, it wouldn't matter unless you got above the state average anyway. so you can go do physics and chemistry and 325 uinits worth of advanced anything, it doesn't matter unless you actually do well.
What?

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Elly! said:
[citation needed]

cannibal.horse said:

That sounds familiar...

You have some very valid points there. Universities are for higher learning. They're not meant to be the big businesses they're turning into.

Last edited:
HSC
risole91 said:
I actually agree with most of that. That being said, it doesn't change that 'soft subjects' are untrue. A subject that you call soft, for someone else may be hard.

Is B surfing management a real degree? lol.
I agree some of those particular subjects are certainly not soft. The amount of work my friend's put into their VET logbooks is incredible.

It's frustrating though coming from a school which offers lots of VET subjects and the alike because a lot of the students who want to do those subjects wouldn't be there if they weren't otherwise offered. My school is 20% below the state average in maths and science (though we're ranked 182nd) because although a large amount of students get phenominal results, there are a lot of kids also doing VET courses who pick maths and whatnot to fill up the amount of units they are required to complete.

And yes, you can do your B Surfing Studies at Southern Cross :D

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Guys please stop flaring up over this... if you don't agree, just laugh it off - you have to admit that this humour is sort of hilarious!!

Black.Magic said:
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even get to the interview stage, because I would hope that my employees would know how to factorise a quadratic equation, at least.
Lol, why am I the only one that finds some of these quotable gems funny?

English Advanced is not about rote learning because the subject can't really be mastered, no matter how many fools out there claim to have scored full marks with pre-prepared essays and 'creative' responses.
I do have a bone to pick with you there, though, there is someone in our year that has without fail scored 100% in her four units of English. She gives me faith in the English system lol.

I hope to God that your papers are marked by somebody with more than half a brain who recognises formulaic essays and hackneyed 'creative' responses.
I hope to God that as well, but unfortunately its hard to tell for markers - the only real decider is the question, and its almost the same every year.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
I agree some of those particular subjects are certainly not soft. The amount of work my friend's put into their VET logbooks is incredible.

It's frustrating though coming from a school which offers lots of VET subjects and the alike because a lot of the students who want to do those subjects wouldn't be there if they weren't otherwise offered. My school is 20% below the state average in maths and science (though we're ranked 182nd) because although a large amount of students get phenominal results, there are a lot of kids also doing VET courses who pick maths and whatnot to fill up the amount of units they are required to complete.
As if you care what your school ranks.

Last year my school was in the top 20 in the state, but seriously, as long as I do well I wouldnt care if we came 500th in the state.

cannibal.horse said:
And yes, you can do your B Surfing Studies at Southern Cross :D
but lol

Messier111

HSC
Newsflash: not everyone is mathematically or scientifically inclined. It does NOT make them any less intelligent than you. If someone plans to pursue a career involving the knowledge that comes from humanities... why the fuck should they be learning about chemical equations?

People who do social sciences have to memorise large amounts of information. You won't find a formula for a question regarding the development of humanity over the last 10 000 years of history. There are no simple 'yes or no' answers for these subjects.

It is completely ignorant to think that science and maths are "harder" than humanities. That comes from a personal perspective. Some individuals excel at one or the other, while I know people who do quite well in both fields.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)