SOFT subjects (the easy way out) . Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

not.addie

HSC
our dux of last year did all of those 'soft' subjects- as well as english advanced.
she got 99. 95.

beats me.

HSC
babikakez said:
Because the students capable of getting band 5s and 6s are in advanced, not standard.
That's a load of shit. It's exactly the same as getting a band 5 or 6 in advanced, just that the standard of most students for standard english is lower.

HSC
it's a lot easier to get band 5/6 in standard because you are not required to do as much as in advanced

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nirvanafreak02 said:
it's a lot easier to get band 5/6 in standard because you are not required to do as much as in advanced
Actually, it's harder to get Band 5/6 in English (Standard) because you need to perform relatively well in both AoS and Modules.

Norma.Jean

HSC
runnable said:
Everyone should study at the level they are comfortable with.

Declaring certain subjects "soft" sounds like baseless arrogance to me.
Completely agree. Maybe to you(Black.Magic) a certain subject may be a soft subject(i.e. biology) but it could prove difficult for some other people.
Our brains are not all the same.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Actually, it's harder to get Band 5/6 in English (Standard) because you need to perform relatively well in both AoS and Modules.
you could argrue the same for advanced.

iEdd

HSC
lyounamu said:
:confused:

In advanced you need to perform well in AOS and (advanced) modules... Standard English is easier, that's kinda the point of it being "standard" and all.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Let's talk statistics then.

Band 6 in Standard English is 1%>
Band 6 in Advanced English is >1%

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
iEdd said:
:confused:

In advanced you need to perform well in AOS and (advanced) modules... Standard English is easier, that's kinda the point of it being "standard" and all.
But in English (Advanced) you can apparently get pulled up by the entire cohort while in English (Standard) you really cannot. And apparently, you get marked more harshly in English (Standard)...but they are all mysteries that I happened to come across on this website. I still haven't had someone explaining to me properly why that's the case.

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
tommykins said:
Let's talk statistics then.

Band 6 in Standard English is 1%>
Band 6 in Advanced English is >1%

hiiiiiii tommmmmyyyyykiiiinnnnsssss. :p
sorry your statsitics dont take into account the fact that people for each class have different abilities. how do you know those statistics are not because of the general idea that the top students go to advanced and that people who are perceived as less capable go to standard.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
But in English (Advanced) you can apparently get pulled up by while in English (Standard) you really cannot. And apparently, you get marked more harshly in English (Standard)...but they are all mysteries that I happened to come across on this website. I still haven't had someone explaining to me properly why that's the case.
what. where is your proof.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
hiiiiiii tommmmmyyyyykiiiinnnnsssss. :p
sorry your statsitics dont take into account the fact that people for each class have different abilities. how do you know those statistics are not because of the general idea that the top students go to advanced and that people who are perceived as less capable go to standard.
I'm not debating the ability of each student, I'm talking about the difficulty of getting a band 6 in Standard as opposed to a band 6 in Advanced. They roughly have the same amount of cohort, but there is significantly more band 6's in Advanced than Standard.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
By Boxxhead

If you're decent at english, it's probably safer. If you bomb paper 1 and own paper 2 in Standard and you were ranked 1st, your overall mark could be really low since it's scaled on paper 1. In advanced, if you bomb paper 1 and own paper 2, there are probably guys who owned paper 1 hard and can possibly scale up your paper 2.

iEdd

HSC
lyounamu said:
[1]But in English (Advanced) you can apparently get pulled up by the entire cohort while in English (Standard) you really cannot.[2]And apparently, you get marked more harshly in English (Standard)...but they are all mysteries that I happened to come across on this website. I still haven't had someone explaining to me properly why that's the case.
[1]I believe the moderation process for each is almost identical. It SHOULD be relatively the same amount of work (albeit easier) to get a band 5 or 6. A smarter cohort may mean that they are less likely to moderate your raw mark to a higher mark, as it puts you too close to the people who scored high raw marks.
[2]Myth. Probably started by people who aren't too good at english standard.

Scaling on the other hand, then yes a 90 in advanced will contribute more to your UAI than a 90 in standard. There's a scaling section on this site that says how much it was for a few years - or you could play around with SAM.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
iEdd said:
[1]I believe the moderation process for each is almost identical. It SHOULD be relatively the same amount of work (albeit easier) to get a band 5 or 6. A smarter cohort may mean that they are less likely to moderate your raw mark to a higher mark, as it puts you too close to the people who scored high raw marks.
[2]Myth. Probably started by people who aren't too good at english standard.

Scaling on the other hand, then yes a 90 in advanced will contribute more to your UAI than a 90 in standard. There's a scaling section on this site that says how much it was for a few years - or you could play around with SAM.
Ok, I didn't really know then. But look at the post above. That's a post by Boxxhead...and I think it makes sense a bit...

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
tommykins said:
I'm not debating the ability of each student, I'm talking about the difficulty of getting a band 6 in Standard as opposed to a band 6 in Advanced. They roughly have the same amount of cohort, but there is significantly more band 6's in Advanced than Standard.
but how do you know that it is the difficulty that is affecting the students and not there level of ability. a better experiment to base those statistics on would have been to get a random sample of all levels of ability, make them do the standard course, make them do the advanced course and collect results. of course this would be unlikely to happen but for now i would suggest not to draw the conclusion that its easier to get higher marks in advanced because of the level of difficulty.
lyounamu said:
By Boxxhead
thats making a lot of generalisations namu.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
but how do you know that it is the difficulty that is affecting the students and not there level of ability. a better experiment to base those statistics on would have been to get a random sample of all levels of ability, make them do the standard course, make them do the advanced course and collect results. of course this would be unlikely to happen but for now i would suggest not to draw the conclusion that its easier to get higher marks in advanced because of the level of difficulty.
Ah I get your view. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)