SOFT subjects (the easy way out) . Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
To melanie:

You think so? I thought he had a point. For what other reasons would people go for English (Advanced) over English (Standard)?

I mean, if it is like easier to get higher marks in English (Standard)...

Yeah, there might be reasons why people go for English (Advanced) such as:
1. wanting to do Extension
2. university course requires it
3. advanced might be more interesting

But there are like 27000 people doing advanced! I don't think all of them chose advanced because of those reasons above...and if they chose advanced because of their perception of advanced having higher scaling...it would be really unfair because advanced and standard both having same scaling and as mentioned earlier by you guys that it's easier to get band 6 in standard.

I don't think BoS would make such an unfair system....

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
To melanie:

You think so? I thought he had a point. For what other reasons would people go for English (Advanced) over English (Standard)? I mean, if it is like easier to get higher marks in English (Standard)...
there are many reasons, some include:
- they enjoy english.
- they want a challenge and feel like standard doesn't challege them.
- they are uneducated about the uai system and think doing advanced will score them more points.
- the title advanced sounds more attractive.
- there are people like your who make the assumption that it is easier to get better makes in advanced than it is in standard due to statsitics which doesn't necessarily draw the right conclusion.

Yeah, there might be reasons why people go for English (Advanced) such as:
1. wanting to do Extension
2. university course requires it
3. advanced might be more interesting

But there are like 27000 people doing advanced! I don't think all of them chose advanced because of those reasons above...and if they chose advanced because of their perception of advanced having higher scaling...it would be really unfair because advanced and standard both having same scaling and as mentioned earlier by you guys that it's easier to get band 6 in standard.

doesn't necessarily mean that the way they think is right though. so what you are saying is that because there are so many people doing advanced, they must be right. you do see the logical fallacy in that right. btw its not unfair imo. im not saying its easier to get better marks in standard. im saying it is not necessarily easier to get better marks because of diffiulty in advanced. btw i do advanced.

HSC
tommykins said:
I'm not debating the ability of each student, I'm talking about the difficulty of getting a band 6 in Standard as opposed to a band 6 in Advanced. They roughly have the same amount of cohort, but there is significantly more band 6's in Advanced than Standard.

yeah that's because majority of the smarter kids do advanced
if they did standard they would be getting band band5/6 without putting in as much effort

eg for module B
standard - close study
advanced - critical study ie close study plus context, perspectives, critics etc etc

therefore easier to get b5/6 in standard because less is required
but from the results it seems apparent that those doing standard don't do what is required/don't do it well

iEdd

HSC
lyounamu said:

It is a fair system (for the most part - the fact that English is compulsory is unfair, but that's another matter entirely).

English AOS has exactly the same scaling, because it is treated as the one subject. English modules advanced scales higher than standard modules. They _are_ scaled the same way (as is every subject, consistent method), but this does not mean they are equal. So yes, there is higher scaling if you do advanced.

Next point, capping. From what I've read, standard english, like general maths has capping, ie. there is a maximum effective mark towards your aggregate to stop people 'dumbing down'. Between higher scaling and no capping of Advanced, that's more than enough incentive to do it, provided you have the ability to get a decent mark, otherwise you are probably worse off.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
iEdd said:
Next point, capping. From what I've read, standard english, like general maths has capping, ie. there is a maximum effective mark towards your aggregate to stop people 'dumbing down'. Between higher scaling and no capping of Advanced, that's more than enough incentive to do it, provided you have the ability to get a decent mark, otherwise you are probably worse off.
source.

iEdd

HSC
Sigh, this is why we have dumb questions, because people can't read the explanations on this site. [Edit: not saying you're dumb, just that it seems everyone has trouble finding these links]

Source

45.4 47.7 English (Standard)
That is the most, per unit that you can achieve. Note that this is only for modules, AOS for both has no capping (ie 50)

Also, scaling

HSC
bahahha lol

in all seriousness, choose subjects you're good at. sux to be those kids whose parents make them choose physics, chem and ext maths. happened to my friend and he's done so shit.

iEdd

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
yeah way to source something which is 7 years out of date.
As opposed to just "I heard someone say that scaling doesn't exist.", etc comments that people have said? :rolleyes:

It was an example. The data has changed, but the system hasn't.

iEdd

HSC
I didn't say you said it. I'm just pointing out that no-one else is putting sources for any of their claims, so surely *a* source is more credible than *no* source? I'm just trying to explain the system as I understand it from what I've read here and UAC scaling reports.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
iEdd said:
I didn't say you said it. I'm just pointing out that no-one else is putting sources for any of their claims, so surely *a* source is more credible than *no* source? I'm just trying to explain the system as I understand it from what I've read here and UAC scaling reports.
that's obviously not me.

HSC
For fuck's sake this topic has been flogged to death. There is no 'glass ceiling' stopping standard kids getting a band 6, just that most standard students are of a lower calibre.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
For fuck's sake this topic has been flogged to death. There is no 'glass ceiling' stopping standard kids getting a band 6, just that most standard students are of a lower calibre.
*screams and points finger* Generalisation! GENERALISATION!!!!

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
iEdd said:
here is proof that faries exist.
it must be right because no one else is putting up evidence.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Without Wings said:
"Students who undertake the English (Standard) course will have the opportunity to perform at the levels described in the higher bands, but they will be less likely to achieve in those bands than those students undertaking the English (Advanced) course."

Source: Board of Studies
does it say why. is it because of the difficulty. is it because they mark harder. or is it because of the students.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Without Wing, you are sexy(if the dp is yourself), smart and powerful.
Are you a lawyer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)