SOFT subjects (the easy way out) . Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

what else?

HSC
jazzbaby said:
please learn basic spelling first before you start having a go at the people that do these so called "soft" subjects.

you have an "undersized" brain as well

fucking idiot.
I love the people who think others are dumb because of spelling mistakes. Go fuck yourself.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
I agree some of those particular subjects are certainly not soft. The amount of work my friend's put into their VET logbooks is incredible.

It's frustrating though coming from a school which offers lots of VET subjects and the alike because a lot of the students who want to do those subjects wouldn't be there if they weren't otherwise offered. My school is 20% below the state average in maths and science (though we're ranked 182nd) because although a large amount of students get phenominal results, there are a lot of kids also doing VET courses who pick maths and whatnot to fill up the amount of units they are required to complete.

And yes, you can do your B Surfing Studies at Southern Cross :D
Yeah i see where your coming from now. My school is ranked 542nd :|
So im even worse lol.

Apparently our grade has the most potential in years. Im in the running for dux (top 3) approx. And i do the so called 'soft subjects'.

PDHPE, Gen Maths, Std Eng, Business & economics(maybe not considered soft)

And im close with someone doing, ext 1 math, phys, engin, legal ect.

So i don't believe in the long run the subjects you pick maybe with the exception of like ext 2 math/eng / ext languages..will have a huge impact on your UAI, more so the work ethic of the individual

Harkaraj

HSC
Uni Grad
I do all the sciences and also 4u maths and to be honest i would say getting a high mark in biology takes just as much effort as in chem/phys/4u maths. Because once the concepts in chem/phys/maths are mastered its quite simple with a few memorising/societal dot points, whereas bio is heaps hard cause of the amount of memorising required. So i wouldn't classify it as a soft subject. I can't comment on the other subjects listed e.g. legal, SOR. But I would find them harder than science/maths most likely.

laa.musique

Executive Member
HSC
Elly! said:
also, you mentioned scaling....did you know they don't actually do that anymore? they *used* to scale. our science teachers said they did to get us to do physics and chemistry. but no, scaling is non existant
just lol! you should not even be sitting the hsc if you are so clueless about how the system works

CopperBoom

HSC
ok i have only read the first few pages of this thread, but can i just say i have a friend who does standard english, society and culture, 1 unit religion, pdh and a few other 'soft' subjects.
she just got her UAI calculated, and it is 90+.
probably better than someone who is failing physics and eco and ext maths etc etc.

so i think it all depends on the person.
i do general maths, legal, adv eng, eng ext, japanese, drama and religion 1.
i havent got an estimated UAI yet, but im going reasonably well in all.

i think its unfair to say subjects are soft. you sound arrogant to me.
if someone can get brilliant marks in SOC, then why not?

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
No! It's always too boring. And there's no such thing. But if it were, it could drive you crazy with the impassionation and impersonality of everything and everyone involved. It's, as I'm imagining right now, like the life of either a ghost or an invisible.

MHSoR Student

HSC
N/A
Black.Magic said:
Comrades, in case you don't know what I mean, a soft subject is one that is very easy compared to other, 'hard subjects'. (e.g. any extension course, sciences excluding biology, etc...)

People choose them, despite their woeful scaling, thinking they can ace them so it doesn't matter. But it does. You lose your man/womanhood. You do your country a dishonour by reinforcing the stereotype that this is a land of slack anti-intellectual drinkers.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some people who genuinely deserve to do soft subjects. For example, if English isn't your first language, it's fine to do the Standard course. But if you've living in an anglophonic country for your whole life and you do the Standard course and you're not mentally impaired... well, I'm fighting hard not to write expletives.
A list of soft subjects, for those who are a little confused:
-- General maths
-- English Standard
-- Legal Studies. Oh yes.
-- Studies of Religion
-- Geography
-- Business Studies
-- Biology
-- All those accredited subjects or whatever, like sheet metal working.
-- anything else that strikes you as a subject for people with undersized brains.

Now, granted, I am trying to be at least a bit inflammatory, but, my good people, what are your thoughts on these soft subjects and the ninnies who do them? (They're off the hook if they have some sort of mental impairment, God bless them).
Should we force them to do real subjects like physics and maths, and English extension? (Though physics is slowly becoming more and more like a humanity subject).

Go fourth and express your important opinion.
Biology and Studies of Religion have too much contents to be considered "soft subjects".

achowdhury

ka pow poww
HSC
Soft subjects?
There is no such thing as a soft subject, there is such thing as an arrogant, narrow minded elitest though. E.G. person who began this thread.

cheersdog

HSC
what an idiot. I bet him and his little pimply nerd friends had a little giggle at him posting this.

jazzbaby

HSC
achowdhury said:
Soft subjects?
There is no such thing as a soft subject, there is such thing as an arrogant, narrow minded elitest though. E.G. person who began this thread.
+1

clap clap

Elly!

HSC
laa.musique said:
just lol! you should not even be sitting the hsc if you are so clueless about how the system works
righto. if you're so sure.
they don't scale.

iEdd

HSC
You're completely right. Clearly a 90 in Biology is worth the same as a 90 in Maths Extension 2. *facepalm*

Seriously though, it takes 5 seconds to punch numbers into SAM and see obviously that certain subjects add more to your aggregate for a given mark than others (scaling).

Clearly you are confused about HOW scaling works, not whether it does or does not exist. It is done afresh each year based on canditure. "All subjects are scaled the same way" =/= "All subjects are equal", it just means that the process is the same for every subject, hence the varying difficulty level sorts out scaling.

cathychat

HSC
I don't think any subjects should be classified as "soft".
People have different interests and some people are better at creative subjects and some are better at subjects like maths and physics and chemistry.

Creative people for example might do visual arts, photography, textiles, advanced english etc but that doesn't mean they are stupid or copping out by doing "soft" subjects.
School isn't even that important, it isn't the be-all and end-all so people should be doing what they enjoy to pursue a career they enjoy.

That's my view anyway.
...and legal is hard!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
1. Choose soft subjects
2. Get high marks due to relatively easy exam
3. get high UAI due to high marks in exams
4. ???
5. Profit

USE STRATEGY TO YOUR ADVANTAGE PEOPLE!
lol then how do u explain the 95% of the english standard candidature getting band 4 or less?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)