• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soldiers are not heroes (1 Viewer)

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
I'm quite happy with there being a larger reserve army for actual defense, as I sure as hell do not want to be called upon should anything actually start.

But other than that active soldiers should not be glorified any more than anyone else who murders for money. And to be considered a hero or anything else than an idiot who put his life at risk over the happiness of his family is just sanctimonious bullshit.

HSC
almost but no quite

you can still be a soldier and a hero in certain circumstances

Several Libyans and Egpytians have shown this recently.

HSC
ebony spot on the money imo

being a professional soldier does not automatically mean you are a hero that is a fucking ridiculous notion

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I'm quite happy with there being a larger reserve army for actual defense, as I sure as hell do not want to be called upon should anything actually start.

But other than that active soldiers should not be glorified any more than anyone else who murders for money. And to be considered a hero or anything else than an idiot who put his life at risk over the happiness of his family is just sanctimonious bullshit.
They are not murdering, they are defending US (you and e and all other Australians).

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Defence is to guard yourself from being attacked. Not to attack.

And I hardly see how invading another country without them having done so first is considered defense.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Defence is to guard yourself from being attacked. Not to attack.

And I hardly see how invading another country without them having done so first is considered defense.
Do you not remember 9/11, Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan? I certainly do.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
I do!

I also remember I don't live in America!

I also remember that that wasn't Iraq attacking them, it was a sole group of people - not even an army.

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
lol at davidbarnes

soldiers should only be considered heroes when fighting in their homeland, in defence of their country

these soldiers in iraq and afghanistan are not heroes, protecting us from al qaeda?! epic lol @ you

a MAJORITY of their murder rape and torture victims arent even these 'terrorists' youre talking about

i salute them for such heroic actions.

get fucked son.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
there has never been any plan for a land invasion of Australia

in b4 Japan, they weren't going to do it

HSC
png was a territory or whatever so justified imo

plus i support using our troops to aid allies in defence of their nations ie WW2 greece, france, england etc

Kittikhun

HSC
Just out of curiosity, why do the majority of you believe that the invasion of Afghanistan was unjustified? I do understand your argument on Iraq; I am fully against that war and I believe that the reasons for invading were stupid and unwarranted but Afghanistan? Also, in one of those liberal GET OUR TROOPS OUT OF AFGHANISTAN leaflets at USYD last year, you got the picture wrong. You had a photo of US Marines in Helmand carrying M16A4s, M4A1s and a SAW in MARPAT desert fatigues (Australian infantry carry the F88 and F89 and wear DPCU and operate in Oruzgan, which is greener and more mountainous than Helmand though a small number of support Engineer elements of the ADF operate in Kandahar as well, I believe).

HSC
Australians were operating in Helmand until recently, werent they? But yes only an idiot would confuse Americans for Australians.

I have found that interfering (supposedly) on behalf of a people only causes problems. Same with installing loyal Governments.

You have to wait until the people of that nation revolt on their own. Then if they are being slaughtered then i see no problem with international interference. I disagree with invading a nation be on the premise that you disagree with their form of government (unelected or otherwise). If that is legitimate then why dont we just invade all nations with unelected governments. And all nations where international terrorism flourishes (Iran anyone?).

ibbi00

HSC
Do you not remember 9/11, Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan? I certainly do.
Excuse me, Sir Retard, but the CIA estimates the number of Al-Qaeda members in Afghanistan to be less than a hundred. Does the end result of killing said 100 individuals justify disrupting an entire country's sovereignty and aggregating a huge civilian death toll?

The primary purpose of NATO's invasion was Al-Qaeda not Taliban who had nothing to do with 9/11 itself.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Didn't the UN reject the validity of both the Iraq and Afghanistan invasion propsals?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)