st andrews application? (1 Viewer)

stephies

so my interview is on this tuesday so melbournian what should i expect?

is porges going to ask questions like 'how can you contribute to college' etc? by the way, how do you pronounce 'porges', sounds dumb i know but there'd be nothing worse than mispronouncing it on the day. how much will he expect me to know about what i want to do next year?

any insight into what to expect from interview would be much appreciated :)

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
so the interview is informal is it? do they already have a good idea of who they are going to choose from your personal statement?

stephies

had my interview today, went pretty well. porges is nice and the interview wasn't at all intimidating. you were right melbournian not to worry about it. porges was a lot blunter than i expected though, like he said stuff i thought he wouldn't.

anyway, now that i need to seriously think about how i'm going to finance going to college i was wondering what living costs are like living in college on top of fees. i know there's heaps of variables but any estimate would help. are there heaps of extras that you don't realise about? thanks in advance

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
hey i think you need to buy stuff like an academic gown and pay bonds and stuff like that. what sort of things did he ask? i have my interview tomorrow

stephies

sorry Luke, forgot you had your interview today otherwise i would have said what porges asked me. oh well too late now. i'm sure you went well anyway.

what did porges ask you? to me, he basically asked questions based on my application so stuff about my family, my schools, my achievements and my exchange to france. about the hardest question he asked was why i wanted to go to st andrews!

the only disconcerting thing for me was that the guy who showed me around the college, mike --? who went to barker, said that about only 20% of the college is public school therefore i'd assume 80% is private school people. i was hoping to find more diversity *shrugs*.

oh and also thyne is really really ugly. what were architects thinking in the 70s?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
stephies said:
sorry Luke, forgot you had your interview today otherwise i would have said what porges asked me. oh well too late now. i'm sure you went well anyway.

what did porges ask you? to me, he basically asked questions based on my application so stuff about my family, my schools, my achievements and my exchange to france. about the hardest question he asked was why i wanted to go to st andrews!

the only disconcerting thing for me was that the guy who showed me around the college, mike --? who went to barker, said that about only 20% of the college is public school therefore i'd assume 80% is private school people. i was hoping to find more diversity *shrugs*.

oh and also thyne is really really ugly. what were architects thinking in the 70s?
i actually didnt get to see inside thyne really but it didnot look very timeless like the main building. i really want to go there and porges was really nice. he made it seem like uai counted alot though but i shud be ok in that department.

i really liked the atmosphere of the college though. it reminds me a bit of barker with the whole team like structure so that makes me want to go there even more. the hardest questioin i had was the "is there anything else you would like to know?" question. he also hinted that he wanted to keep in touch. it was like a test to see if you are genuinely interested in the college. will email him to show im interested and to thank him for the interview. i really like the college and the rooms dont really matter in the end even though i would much rather a main building room than thyne though. hope my uai is sufficient though. your interview sounds quite different to mine but i guess thats cos our applications are quite different. hope to see you at drews :D

Last edited:

stephies

i actually noticed that too about porges being obsessed with good looking people. at one point he was describing to me in general terms a st andrews college student and used about five adjectives focusing on looks. clearly he does not want a college full of ugly people. also he made notes as he went on my application.

interesting what you said about no non anglos 'cos he made a big point to me about the college 'actively seeking diversity' ie public vs private, non anglos etc he didn't seem to overly focus on uai i found but my school gave me a good estimate so that might be why.

i understand what you mean by 'team structure' only i talked about 'community' cos that's the buzz word at ravo (where i've been :)). he asked me if i had any other questions too but i had some prepared so that wasn't hard. in fact, my first question was about the introducing of girls and he seemed almost happy that i asked it. not surprised interview style was different cos you sound more like a sporty person whereas i'm more academic than sporty

also, did he hint (sublty or otherwise) at whether you'd get in or not? he gave me a good idea about what to expect. hope to see you there too

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
stephies said:
i actually noticed that too about porges being obsessed with good looking people. at one point he was describing to me in general terms a st andrews college student and used about five adjectives focusing on looks. clearly he does not want a college full of ugly people. also he made notes as he went on my application.

interesting what you said about no non anglos 'cos he made a big point to me about the college 'actively seeking diversity' ie public vs private, non anglos etc he didn't seem to overly focus on uai i found but my school gave me a good estimate so that might be why.

i understand what you mean by 'team structure' only i talked about 'community' cos that's the buzz word at ravo (where i've been :)). he asked me if i had any other questions too but i had some prepared so that wasn't hard. in fact, my first question was about the introducing of girls and he seemed almost happy that i asked it. not surprised interview style was different cos you sound more like a sporty person whereas i'm more academic than sporty

also, did he hint (sublty or otherwise) at whether you'd get in or not? he gave me a good idea about what to expect. hope to see you there too
he sort of hinted i would get in but he said he couldnt get my hopes up cos he dont know how many people will he's able to take. he gave me these little testing type questions occasionally and my mum who tagged along (wanted to see the place) noticed this too. he kind of through in bits and pieces to see where they would land even towards the end which suggested i was atleast in with a chance. my uai will be pretty good=97+ hopefully 98 though, he was quite excited by my academics and he didnt even mention sport more than one sentence which was unexpected. he was cool with his pink highlighter pen lol

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Porges is a loser, I found that out when trying to apply for St.Andrews two years ago (ended up getting into Wesley instead). He's full of double-standards. Your UAI means a lot to porges, (particularly if you're applying to drews later on), he anticipated that I would get a high 99 uai, but instead got 98.something, and was given the cold shoulder when I told him that. Oh and thyne's a shit place to live, i've been there and been told that by some of my mates there........so hope u don't get put in thyne.

stephies

yep, that would be him, porges said he was the next senior student.
i think you mean CAS not CHS (CHS is public schools)
oh well, 60% or 80% is still better than the 100% i've had at school
also Woody said something about the highlander only operating sporadically? i thought drews had a licence?

keight

where abouts in st andrews do they hold the interviews and what sort of things can i expect to be asked? is it basically q's about your application and why you want to go there?

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
i have my interview on mon!!! dr porges called on wednesday to set it up, was very accomodating. my uai isn't going to be anywhere near 99...does that mean i have no chance????????????????????????????????????????????????

welshi

HSC
hurrah!!! v optimistic following monday's events. fingers crossed...

btw melbournian, is that u in your av? (i know it says i'm a dickhead but maybe u r a self-deprecating type...) if so is ur real name colin? i saw a guy who reminded me of ur avi guy on the photo board at drews.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If they aren't showing just on BOS, it will most likely be your options. User CP -> Edit Options, scroll down to thread display options and there is a box to show avatars.

Welshi it is keypad in his avatar from ages back when they had a fair few disagreements.

If I remember correctly (and I nearly always do) Melbournian has posted a picture of himself before.

Edit: I did put the link here, but nah if you want it can be found, there are probably too many who would probably kill him if they saw him.

Last edited:

welshi

HSC
JKDDragon said:

We're even.
lol i can't believe u went to the trouble of changing the "sir" to "mam" and then finding somewhere to host the new one...just for me.

how am i supposed to know who it is in his av? sorry, i'm not up to speed on every little bos catfight.

peteski01, y am i such an idiot? i wasn't the one talking about fisting and loose slags up in ns. clearly JKDDragon has never been near a vagina in his life.

anyway, back to drews, i got in!!! got my acceptance letter yesterday. so provided i haven't bombed out completely in my exams, i shall be seeing YOU (points, uncle-sam-like) in the dining hall next february.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
welshi said:
anyway, back to drews, i got in!!! got my acceptance letter yesterday. so provided i haven't bombed out completely in my exams, i shall be seeing YOU (points, uncle-sam-like) in the dining hall next february.
hey lucky you!!!! :p i havent got a letter yet. you must have been top of the bunch or somthin. he said he needs to see my uai and results first. i hope i dont disappoint. i said i was aiming for 98.5-99.5 which is high but possible, but i said ill probably get anywhere from 97+. what did you say that was so special? oh i hope i get in. btw. i saw what melbs looked like from the pic on the wall. i expected him to look like his av lol.

congrats

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)