• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

State Rankers! (1 Viewer)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Not at all. I made no silly mistakes from questions 1-5 in the HSC. The marks I lost there, I just didn't know. But getting the ret of the questions in the HSC is more about brains and intelligence, rather than hard work. To be honest, 4U Maths is probably the only subject in the HSC where there is any consideration given to 'brains' rather than just hard-work.
Maybe I ask afew things:
1. How many questions/marks did you missed from 1-5?
2. How did you go in Q6/7?
3. Did you find that when you did past papers that some years, you will get 10+/12 for Q6/7 while others you will struggle to get ~6/12?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
i think you get recommended to various people
You don't i believe :( Wouldn't really make a difference i believe, maybe something to put on your resume.

I just want to manage a state rank in a Commerce subject (as I do all of them!)

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
no

1. There are some students who are naturally gifted at maths who will remain ahead throughout i.e. most of the people with state ranks. Similarly there are those who struggle no matter how much work they do.

2. True, this is important, but what truly divides the competition is Q7 and Q8 because people who do well in these questions will be ahead of the majority of students who barely attempt them.
Nah, in a top 10 school, the top 10-15 all know how to do the last questions, trust me, it's the silly mistakes that kill you. The difference between coming 1st and 5th in our school is whether you forgot to add the minus in front of the fraction or something, not because of being unable to do the last question. I don't believe in that natural gift crap, those who struggle and fail are those that didn't study the previous years and hold no basic skills in maths. If you are an above average student, if you study hard, you can easily enter the top 5. The top ten in the state are pretty much on equal levels, what differentiates them from the rest of the state is not only being smart but having consistency.

jealous much?

Maybe you havent been using this forum long enough to see how good Spiralflex is at maths.. Tbh if he did the HSC this year for extension two he would score a higher mark than me and im ranked 49/99 at a school ranked 4
No, not jealous, don't make accusations just because you disagree. While it would be nice to get a state rank, I'd rather go well in all my subjects rather than focus on getting a state rank in maths. Tbh, the person getting the state rank is maths is either an accelerated student, an accelerating student repeating, some ruse kids, or some guy that's probably finished the hsc maths course by now.

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Nah, in a top 10 school, the top 10-15 all know how to do the last questions, trust me, it's the silly mistakes that kill you. I don't believe in that natural gift crap, those who struggle and fail are those that didn't study the previous years and hold no basic skills in maths. If you are an above average student, if you study hard, you can easily enter the top 5. The top ten in the state are pretty much on equal levels, what differentiates them from the rest of the state is not only being smart but having consistency.

No, not jealous, don't make accusations just because you disagree. While it would be nice to get a state rank, I'd rather go well in all my subjects rather than focus on getting a state rank in maths.
lol natural gifts so do exist. Some people are just born good are certain subjects/skills

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
lol natural gifts so do exist. Some people are just born good are certain subjects/skills
I'd definitely agree for english. Still, I maintain my position, people that are natural in maths may overlook the simplicity in the first few questions and make a mistake. Smart is not always proportional to consistency.

michaeljennings

HSC
Tbh, the person getting the state rank is maths is either an accelerated student, an accelerating student repeating, some ruse kids, or some guy that's probably finished the hsc maths course by now.
Youve covered all bases here but what about some girl =(

Hahah im not accusing you you just seemed a bit agitated that people thought spiralflex would get a state rank.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Youve covered all bases here but what about some girl =(

Hahah im not accusing you you just seemed a bit agitated that people thought spiralflex would get a state rank.
o_O Ok, sorry :/

I never stated that Spiralflex wouldn't be a state ranker. I think I read somewhere that he goes to Harry's which I may be joining next term, so I'll see for myself. I'm just saying that even though you think you know everything, you should try to aim for consistency if wanting to be a state ranker, esp. in maths where they all know how to do the questions and only those 1-2 silly mistakes make the difference.

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
o_O Ok, sorry :/

I never stated that Spiralflex wouldn't be a state ranker. I think I read somewhere that he goes to Harry's which I may be joining next term, so I'll see for myself. I'm just saying that even though you think you know everything, you should try to aim for consistency if wanting to be a state ranker, esp. in maths where they all know how to do the questions and only those 1-2 silly mistakes make the difference.
Yeah this is true but he has a whole year to work on consistency

michaeljennings

HSC
Yep, that includes me and the other tens of thousands of other people doing maths for HSC next year. And considering I'm already doing past HSC papers for ex1, the only thing I need to do is remain consistent.
Exactly..See now your just proving my point (I knew you would fall for my trap). If everyone has a year to work on consistency then it is obviously a benefit to be naturally gifted.

Everyone has time, not everyone is naturally gifted

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
RELAX! are you saying you might get the state rank? =P
I won't be aiming to, after doing a lot of maths, you start hating it. I wouldn't want to aim for it then get depressed when not coming first after each internal exam.

Exactly..See now your just proving my point (I knew you would fall for my trap). If everyone has a year to work on consistency then it is obviously a benefit to be naturally gifted.

Everyone has time, not everyone is naturally gifted
I fail to see what you said has any relevance to what I'm talking about. Are you saying since I may not be naturally gifted, I have no chance in being successful in maths? I've already done the course, and I'm maintaining in many cases 95%+ in past HSC exams, but since I'm not gifted, I'm destined to fail.. Oh well. Good enough reason for me not to aim for a state rank.

michaeljennings

HSC
I fail to see what you said has any relevance to what I'm talking about. Are you saying since I may not be naturally gifted, I have no chance in being successful in maths? I've already done the course, and I'm maintaining in many cases 95%+ in past HSC exams, but since I'm not gifted, I'm destined to fail.. Oh well. Good enough reason for me not to aim for a state rank.
Nahhhhh thats not what im sayin!
what im sayinnnnn is I never said you werent naturally gifted im just sayinnnnn its a benefit to be naturally gifted. Spiralflex may or may not get a state rank but you seemed pretty adamant that he wouldnt get a state rank when you dont even known him and im just backing him up cos hes pretty damn naturally gifted!

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Nahhhhh thats not what im sayin!
what im sayinnnnn is I never said you werent naturally gifted im just sayinnnnn its a benefit to be naturally gifted. Spiralflex may or may not get a state rank but you seemed pretty adamant that he wouldnt get a state rank when you dont even known him and im just backing him up cos hes pretty damn naturally gifted!
Where did I ever mention that he wouldn't get a state rank. I don't even care if he does, I'm talking in a more generalised sense. I'm saying it's unreasonable to think smartness = state rank. You're acting like only 5 people are capable of answering question 7-8. When it's HSC time, if you include ruse kids, accelerated repeated kids, people who studied hard, there's probably at least a hundred that are able to answer all the questions. Being smart = 97+. Being smart AND consistent = state rank. You said Spiralflex was smart, and I take your word, but you don't have any idea how consistent he is.

And please, study for your hsc, don't waste time here arguing.

michaeljennings

HSC
Where did I ever mention that he wouldn't get a state rank. I don't even care if he does, I'm talking in a more generalised sense. I'm saying it's unreasonable to think smartness = state rank. You're acting like only 5 people are capable of answering question 7-8. When it's HSC time, if you include ruse kids, accelerated repeated kids, people who studied hard, there's probably at least a hundred that are able to answer all the questions. Being smart = 97+. Being smart AND consistent = state rank.

I suppose but dont you think all of the top kids in the state are gonna be consistent...its as if you are saying only 5 people are capable of being consistent..

It all comes down to how you perform on the day

ps i dont need to study for the hsc, defending spiralflex's honour is more important!!

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Where did I ever mention that he wouldn't get a state rank. I don't even care if he does, I'm talking in a more generalised sense. I'm saying it's unreasonable to think smartness = state rank. You're acting like only 5 people are capable of answering question 7-8. When it's HSC time, if you include ruse kids, accelerated repeated kids, people who studied hard, there's probably at least a hundred that are able to answer all the questions. Being smart = 97+. Being smart AND consistent = state rank. You said Spiralflex was smart, and I take your word, but you don't have any idea how consistent he is.

Loving the irony.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
I suppose but dont you think all of the top kids in the state are gonna be consistent...its as if you are saying only 5 people are capable of being consistent..

It all comes down to how you perform on the day

ps i dont need to study for the hsc, defending spiralflex's honour is more important!!
Yes, what determines the things like being a state rank is how you perform on the day. If you have a cold, if you're nervous, it can all translate to mistakes in the exam. And I'm not even sure what we're arguing here since we're starting to agree. I'm not saying spiralflex isn't capable, but the way you guys are talking, you're acting like he's definitely gonna get it no matter what, when you don't even know how consistent he is when doing questions.

michaeljennings

HSC
Yes, what determines the things like being a state rank is how you perform on the day. If you have a cold, if you're nervous, it can all translate to mistakes in the exam. And I'm not even sure what we're arguing here since we're starting to agree. I'm not saying spiralflex isn't capable, but the way you guys are talking, you're acting like he's definitely gonna get it no matter what, when you don't even know how consistent he is when doing questions.
yeahh tbh I just like arguing with people even though half the time im not really sure what im arguing about. its happened numerous times on this forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)