Study Discussion (1 Viewer)

MrDimple

HSC
i would like to know when is it a good time to do past papers?
before an exam or just in your spare time, i would also like to hear people who have done it there experiences on doing past papers, as i havent done any is it to late to do so? and want to also know how effective it is.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
i would like to know when is it a good time to do past papers?
before an exam or just in your spare time, i would also like to hear people who have done it there experiences on doing past papers, as i havent done any is it to late to do so? and want to also know how effective it is.
I think - do a few in your spare time, but when studying for an exam - let's say... 3 weeks before - get rid of your textbook questions and rely ONLY on past papers/past paper questions sorted by topic.

Well that's what I think for Maths anyway. Never tried with other subjects.

jordie4

HSC
So Yr 12 is just started for all you new Yr 12's. I suppose i have a few top tips.

1- actually do your assessments, and on time, and well, i know alot of people, and me who did get dragged down by their assessment marks, although i was fortuneate it wasnt THAT much, but its still alot. So try you're best, as annoying as assessments are.
2- Keep up with homework, and pracs (for the sciences esp. i found making sure Bio was all done was the best idea, and that my Bio Teacher marked everysingle one, so my class did ALL of them [over 100] where some schools didnt [ie. my ex's] so he ended up using some of mine)
3- Pay attention, sounds simple enough but it helps more than you can imagine instead of getting to trials, 1/2yearlies or even the HSC and going "shit i should've actually listened in class" trust me it helps ALOT
4- depending how you study {im a writer} i wrote essays over and over and over. Although for my story in Adv. English i wrote one just from the top of my head, although it was 8 pages. So just make sure you know your stuff.

I recommend, one on one study sessions with your teacher/mentor, if your school has that set up if not, talk to your year advisor or deputy (depending on the size of your year/school) and see if that can be set up. I had my Bio and English teacher as mine, and it helps ALOT, we had some group sessions set up for Bio too cause it was such a LARGEEEEEEEE topic! and it is always good to have someone to talk to who's abit older (although my English teacher was 2nd year out of uni, which is awesome but yeah).

When it comes down to it, study for a few months befor the HSC (as ridiculous as it seems) i didn't haha. it wasnt the best idea, but i did do well,i was doing 8hr days sometimes though and crammed ALOT ALOT ALOT! haha. and did like 7 essays to different questions the night before exams as well.

If you can (which it is hard) avoid drama, although some you can't help, but with relationships etc, it can suck when there's a little fight the night before the Paper 2 Adv. Eng. HSC exam *speaks from experience*, but DON'T become a recluse and think that the HSC is the only way you'll ever to what you're meant to. It's BULLSHIT! (excuse the language) when people put soooo much pressure on you guys to get 100% or do subjects "just cause they rate better with UAI's" cause its NOT TRUE! and being a recluse and studying every day (although a small amount is good) it will burn you out, and you will feel like there's no point, which isn't true, but just take it easy, go out on the weekend and such, just dont get blind drunk and do drugs every weekend or at all, it wont help you both physically, emotionally and mentally.

AND there are back ways into uni and tafe and you can always repeat (although put in the effort, repeating with people who aren't your friends WILL be alot harder).

Hope that helps a little bit; Good Luck and you can ask me other questions if you wish or PM me, i'd be happy to help.

and have fun!:)

OH! and past papers, yeah they help ALOT get you used to the broadness in the questions etc. but my HSC (2008) had VERY different questions in my subjects (Eng Adv, PDHPE, Food Tech, Chem and Bio and Gen. Math- not so much math) so any trend which you saw was non-existant which did help.
E.g, for foodtech, every year they had a large question on Legislation and Laws (you foodies will know what i mean soon) but it was in only ONE multiple choice question, although my whole class at the end was cheering it can be like that. So just remember just cause they asked it in 2006 that it wont be exactly the same, but yes, do do them when you've done all your study notes etc, and need to start practicing questions.
:)

(ALSO! haha, this is getting too long sorry)

USE THE SYLLABUS! it helps more than you can imagine, although not so much in english, but writing a page or so on each little point helps ALOT! and you'll have comprehensive notes in the end, this you can do from Day 1! just do it for homework, put it away in sections and tick it off, when you've done one whole course eg. in Biology, the relief is HUGE! and it makes it sooooooo sooooooooo much easier to study and to have it all there, i ended up writing the biology course out twice and chem out twice too.

Last edited:

MrDimple

HSC
dont knpow if this will hep but i spend lots of time on the computer its hard to sacrifice but when i study i have the computer open microsoft word and a book at my desk and type the syllabus onto microsoft word then answer them, after done that write it in your book with different colours to make it stand out. Used this for biology and physics dont know if this works. But works for me. So if your into your computer i definately think its effective.

Dan2008

HSC

4theHSC

HSC
LOL thanks for the effort... will be looking at those links soon enough :)

mameimo

HSC
Studying

I really don't know how to study for the HSC. Whenever i read textbooks on physics or economics, nothing sticks to my head, blank, economics not so much, but physics, specifically motors and generators, don't even understand anything except for the right palm rule and some equations, the rest im, fuked. Don't know what i'm going to do for the HSC assessments.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
Re: Studying

well you could try listening to your teacher explaining it in class..
if reading the textbook is too dry why don't you try having discussions with friends? providing you stick to the proper topics. you just need to concentrate.

untitled....

HSC

i have the same prob.
repetition
reading different articles, sources, perspectives, books, etc
read slowly and concentrate, after each sentence try and grasp the meaning propery- if you dont reread
listen in class, personally my eco. teacher doesnt teach - make sure yrs does coz it at least makes you feel more confident when you get to making notes
and be positive - if you say u can do it , it removes many barriers

wendus

krawr.
HSC

yes it's important to digest every sentence before you move on to the next one

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Have you heard of syllabus (or syllabi)?

They are there for you to refer to when you get stuck. You can refer to them when you make notes, when you read your textbook.

Use them.

dinopoke

HSC

Also, don't just read. Try and write a summary in your own words.

4theHSC

HSC

I really don't know how to study for the HSC. Whenever i read textbooks on physics or economics, nothing sticks to my head, blank, economics not so much, but physics, specifically motors and generators, don't even understand anything except for the right palm rule and some equations, the rest im, fuked. Don't know what i'm going to do for the HSC assessments.
ye i think I'm gonna hate motors and generators... it sounds really boring in comparison to space... my suggestion.. summaries/type notes, then summarise even further and memories.

MrDimple

HSC

yes motors and generators i like space, great topic.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
good place to study

does anyone know a good place to study around strathfield?????????

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Re: good place to study

libraries are always good? especially if you get distracted when you're at home easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)