• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Studying over the holidays (yr 11 exams) (1 Viewer)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
kezzaonline said:
Well I chose to take the first week off and started studying only the second week coz I only have exams 2nd week back and I usually start studying for it 2 weeks beforehand haha....

I reckon its a good idea to print out a table with all you subjects and the weeks and put in the assessment tasks etc in the regarding week and designate when you should start studying, coz then you see how much work might be cramped into it...

although this may seem nerd-ish but I found heaps of good tips on the HSC website:
http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/study/

Lol, you're so organised. :D I don't think it's necessary to be so organised considering how little work we have. You picked easy subjects like me! :D

I just study what I want, when I want, (which is usually nothing and never), except for these holidays where I studied soo much I'm sure i'm burnt out.
:read: :read: :read: ...:burn: :burn:

Does anybody use those planners and student diaries that are supposed to keep us organised and stuff? I lost my student diary the day I got it, and I just threw the planner thing away. Those organisation things seem pretty useless, and i've done fine without them, do they even help? :confused:

Homework is pretty useless too. Would anybody even do homework if they wouldn't get into trouble for not doing it?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Probably - helps you remember your stuff.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Aerath said:
Don't believe the BS that teachers tell you: "Assessment tasks can never be done the night before."
QFT

They are made to be done the night before.

selablad

HSC
foram said:
Homework is pretty useless too. Would anybody even do homework if they wouldn't get into trouble for not doing it?
Absolutely agree! I treat homework as recommended study. I'm lucky that almost none of my teachers ever check homework (thoroughly anyway, I mean if you just look like you are rummaging through your bag looking for your book they nod and go straight past you). I try to avoid as much homework as I can, because most of the time it is pages and pages of exercises that take time away from proper studying.

It is my learned opinion that school is most definitely not the most efficient environment in which to learn.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
selablad said:
It is my learned opinion that school is most definitely not the most efficient environment in which to learn.
So true. :D The onlyl good teachers I have are my Maths and Chemsitry teachers. They teach at a decent pace, but they have to keep holding back because the other classes are behind. :(

selablad

HSC
My Maths C teacher is awesome. We don't have many people in the class, and we are the only class, so she can teach however fast we like. Also, we're getting our maths assignments tomorrow hopefully. We have to research some option topic and teach it to the class...and then the class has to mark it, haha. I think she's getting lazy and can't be bothered teaching :) but it's alright, because this is an awesome assignment. Maths orals ftw!

But the rest of school is pointless, especially English at the moment because we've been doing random magazine article "deconstructions". I had to read an article about Ben Cousins :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
They are made to be done the night before.
But that being said, I prefer not to do them the night before. :p

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
selablad said:
Also, we're getting our maths assignments tomorrow hopefully. We have to research some option topic and teach it to the class...and then the class has to mark it, haha. I think she's getting lazy and can't be bothered teaching :) but it's alright, because this is an awesome assignment. Maths orals ftw!
Math Assignment !?!? How did you get an assignment in Math!? thats herecy!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
We got one in Year 8 where we had to make a powerpoint. I failed it. :p

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I got one in Year 8 about Pythagoras and that's about it. Did a crap job on it as well.

~Claire~

HSC
welll, basically i'll be studying for economics and maths

hopefully moderated though!

~Claire~

HSC
lyounamu said:
I was going to ask that too. It probably means that she will study 'moderately'.
that is exactly what i meant!

thankyou :)

selablad

HSC
foram said:
Math Assignment !?!? How did you get an assignment in Math!? thats herecy!
We get two maths assignments every year, the syllabus says they have to have two non-exam assessments you see. Also, in Maths B (not sure about Maths C yet) we get one group maths assignment a year. Which is completely random, I mean, group maths assignments? Weird. The one last year was on surveying, which I suppose could be pretty useful...but yeah, maths+groups=what the heck?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yet another reason to come to New South Wales. :p

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I wouldn't mind maths assignments. Something new for a change instead of those 4 years on high schooling so far working on theory instead of being more practical.

selablad

HSC
Yeah, they're really interesting (even though I didn't do too well in my last one) and as you say are more practical. I mean, exams have "applications" questions, but it is still just a question that you solve, not really real-world ish.

That said, our last maths exam had a picture of a hundred or so jellyfish which we had to count and measure the widths of :( :( and then make up histograms and stuff.

I *hate* statistics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)