• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subject choices for yr12 (1 Viewer)

Dresden.

HSC
the-derivative said:
LOL well if you do equally well in both - I'd suggest taking Chemistry - mainly because it scales higher and opens a lot more opportunities in terms of university courses.
Thanks for the reply :), and yeah I agree with you, although I do enjoy Biology alot more - probably because its easier.

I got a better rank in Chemistry in my half yearlies report, but then things went down from there. Mainly due to the Practical Task, I did awful in the experiments..I'm more into theory than practical work I guess. But I think that may be risky since 45% of Chemistry is practical work & I can handle Biology pracs better, seeing as they're hardly experiments lol mostly just putting 2 and 2 together and observing :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh, shame. Good luck anyway, Dresden. :)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Dresden. said:
Thanks for the reply :), and yeah I agree with you, although I do enjoy Biology alot more - probably because its easier.

I got a better rank in Chemistry in my half yearlies report, but then things went down from there. Mainly due to the Practical Task, I did awful in the experiments..I'm more into theory than practical work I guess. But I think that may be risky since 45% of Chemistry is practical work & I can handle Biology pracs better, seeing as they're hardly experiments lol mostly just putting 2 and 2 together and observing :p
You're welcome.

I'd recommend waiting to see your Chemistry ranking and mark and compare it to Biology in your Prelim report. If it's higher or equal - stick with chem, otherwise I'd say go to Biology (because scaling will only work if you do well in the subject - and it's more beneficial to do well in Bio than to do crap in Chem).

bored of sc

HSC
Choose Chemistry over PDHPE (if anyone cares the slightest) - could be a silly choice based on results. :(

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
Dresden. said:
Still tossing between Biology or Chemistry. :uhoh:
i had the same problem. i chose chem, coz its recommended for so many uni courses.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
xxstef said:
i had the same problem. i chose chem, coz its recommended for so many uni courses.
But at the same time, that shouldn't be your only consideration.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
Aerath said:
But at the same time, that shouldn't be your only consideration.
it wasn't. i want to do med, and chem is recommended for that. and also coz chem seems more useful in general.
and of course it scales better :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
xxstef said:
it wasn't. i want to do med, and chem is recommended for that. and also coz chem seems more useful in general.
and of course it scales better :)
Well all those reasons make it an informed decision. :)

abdullahasad

HSC
hey
am keeping :
english standard
math 2u
legal studies
business studies

and am thinking of dropping
bio or chem but which 1 or shld i jst keep both of them

bio i get but chem am a bit confused

am aiming 4 85-88 UAI

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
abdullahasad said:
hey
am keeping :
english standard
math 2u
legal studies
business studies

am aiming 4 85-88 UAI
Um, there is another thread about this. But meh, I guess this will be merged soon.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
abdullahasad said:
hey
am keeping :
english standard
math 2u
legal studies
business studies

am aiming 4 85-88 UAI
keep both for at least until half yearlies i think then u can decide, thats if u really cant decide wich one u want to drop now

SimonLee13

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
QFT.

All asians (generally speaking) in year 11 do: 3u eng, 3u math, phys, eco and chem. Then (generally speaking again) in year 12 they do: 2u eng, 4u math, phys, eco and chem.
I would say at least 50% of the year would do those 5 subjects in year 12.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
SimonLee13 said:
I would say at least 50% of the year would do those 5 subjects in year 12.
do u mean of our yr? thats not possible, only 120 people can do 4unit maths and 120 do phys and chem so definitely not true

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
At my school, the class for 4unit maths is 8? 2 years back it was 3. Yes, maths is very popular at my school :)
We will probably have few doing mx2 next year - 2 people from non-accelerants and about 8 from current accelerants.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
At my school, the class for 4unit maths is 8? 2 years back it was 3. Yes, maths is very popular at my school :)
sure is :rolleyes: u see, our school is all asian, and u know wat they think? 4u good scaling, i better do it :D hence the large amounts of people doing it

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
sure is :rolleyes: u see, our school is all asian, and u know wat they think? 4u good scaling, i better do it :D hence the large amounts of people doing it
lol. I don't think I am Asian enough then...I don't do 4 unit for scaling, it's for one of my future career - actuary. I wouldn't do 4 unit for scaling...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
If you fuck up scaling won't do anything for you.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
lol. I don't think I am Asian enough then...I don't do 4 unit for scaling, it's for one of my future career - actuary. I wouldn't do 4 unit for scaling...
i dunno why i'm doing it, i guess its just expected for me coz i'm doing well in 2unit and i liked 2unit sooo i guess thats why i'm doing it and also the fact that if i dont do it i wont have enough units :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
i dunno why i'm doing it, i guess its just expected for me coz i'm doing well in 2unit and i liked 2unit sooo i guess thats why i'm doing it and also the fact that if i dont do it i wont have enough units :p
Lol, yeah. You don't have enough units...

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Aplus said:
If you fuck up scaling won't do anything for you.
thats wat everyone doesn't know,they dont know how scaling works they're like "naah even if u get 0 they'll scale u up to 99 or soemthing"
that is wat some people think with a bit of exagerration lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)