subject help pls (mostly worried ab scaling) (1 Viewer)

moonbow

HSC
hello :D this is my first post so im not sure if im doing this right anyways

my current subjects r english advanced, maths standard, economics, legal studies, korean beginners n modern history. im aiming for an atar of definitely 90+ and it wld b amazing if i cld get 95+ but idk if itll b rly difficult w these subjects bc i know they dont scale as well as maths extension, physics etc. any advice on that or what kind of atar i can expect?

also im considering between standard and advanced maths - i was #4 in my grade for the 5.2 maths course last year even tho i didnt try too hard in it but im pretty sure we were supposed to do 5.3 in yr 10 if we wanted to do maths advanced lol. i feel like i can get a high mark in maths standard w a minimal to moderate amount of effort so im wondering if its worth putting in a lot of effort into maths advanced for the better scaling even tho i might not enjoy it as much. also my standard classmates arent rly academic (like idk if even 25% of them study) so im worried ab that :[

thank u !!

c_z_m

HSC
If you perform well in your subjects (espcecially English!) you’ll have no problems getting a good ATAR. So try to aim as high as you can rather than simply a Band 6, for example. I don’t think any of us can give ATAR predictions for you at the moment - just aim high and the rest will come naturally.

I’m pretty sure changes were made the scaling on Maths Standard because too many competent kids were taking that over Maths Advanced. That being said, doing well in Maths Standard is obviously better than doing poorly in Maths Advanced. Have you looked at past HSC papers to maybe gauge which Maths course is better for you? Maths Standard is mostly Year 10 content (Stage 5.3) with some more practical topics (pathways, etc.) whereas Maths Advanced has quite a lot of calculus.

Finally, I would advise you to change your mentality. Don‘t put “mild to moderate“ amounts of effort for a supposedly easy subject. Always try your best.

Last edited:

c_z_m

HSC
Another thing to note is the Band 6 rate for Maths Standard (6%) is significantly lower than the Band 6 rate of Maths Advanced (23%). Hence if you do want to go down the Maths Standard path, it is important to be ranking at the top of your school for good marks, as well as performing exceptionally well in the HSC. That's another reason why I would advise against putting "mild to moderate" amounts of effort for Maths Standard, let alone any subject - there will be people putting tremendous amounts of effort - who do you think deserves the Band 6 + marks more?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)