Subject Selection Help plz (1 Viewer)

Bumblebee_18

HSC
SO, I'm so so stressed for the subject selection, I'm stuck on 11 units and I can't decide on any more subjects because I'm kinda scared of what the workload and will be like.

Our school interview was NOT helpful, the person in front of me kept talking and my appointment was delayed and compromised. It was supposed to happen at 10:50 and it happened at 11:15. The teacher didn't seem to care for students she didn't know, so she just went like "what subjects are you thinkin'?" "oh really?" "that's cool" So my 10 min session was cut short into 3 min and confused me even more. 😣

I'm debating between advanced English or extension English. I'm not that good with techniques or analyzation, but I can write hella good essays. For english, I wanna take which is less time consuming, but interesting at the same time. Could I get some advice for this? What topics do you study? how many hours do they take?

Right now, I'm pretty dead set on:
3 unit maths
physics
economics (it makes my soul happy☺)
I also wanna do software design and development or information Tech, don't know which one.

Should I do an non-atar course to give myself space for relaxation or a short 1 year TAFE which will give me a cert 3 or suck it up and do something like bio or legal studies or a beginner language? I'm so confused. If I could get some advise it would be really helpful.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
SO, I'm so so stressed for the subject selection, I'm stuck on 11 units and I can't decide on any more subjects because I'm kinda scared of what the workload and will be like.

Our school interview was NOT helpful, the person in front of me kept talking and my appointment was delayed and compromised. It was supposed to happen at 10:50 and it happened at 11:15. The teacher didn't seem to care for students she didn't know, so she just went like "what subjects are you thinkin'?" "oh really?" "that's cool" So my 10 min session was cut short into 3 min and confused me even more. 😣

I'm debating between advanced English or extension English. I'm not that good with techniques or analyzation, but I can write hella good essays. For english, I wanna take which is less time consuming, but interesting at the same time. Could I get some advice for this? What topics do you study? how many hours do they take?

Right now, I'm pretty dead set on:
3 unit maths
physics
economics (it makes my soul happy☺)
I also wanna do software design and development or information Tech, don't know which one.

Should I do an non-atar course to give myself space for relaxation or a short 1 year TAFE which will give me a cert 3 or suck it up and do something like bio or legal studies or a beginner language? I'm so confused. If I could get some advise it would be really helpful.
do languages!

Bumblebee_18

HSC
??? How do you write "hella good essays" but are not good with techniques or analyzation??? What are you including in your essay?
I'm good at transition sentences and determining the flow so when the teachers read them, it's like a smooth ride and my introduction and conclusion is good. the analysation is average really?

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
An example? I got 18/20 for that...
Nice. You definitely do have a nice flow and i love the simplicity of it. You convey your ideas nicely. So, if you want to decide whether you can do ext english, i would recommend you judge the essays that you write on the spot, rather than an assignment. How well can you answer an unseen question? Keep that in mind! I've heard from MANY that adv english is harder than EXT, and that EXT just means MORE english (more books to read and analyse)

RossoneriAU

HSC
Speaking from experience, I do think that extension was a lot easier and more interesting than advanced. Extension looks at more abstract concepts and philosophical thinking which I felt was more interesting than the content covered in advanced. I was never a maths person (Didn't even count towards my ATAR lmao) so I felt it was perfect for me. The texts we studied for yr12 were Frankenstein, Metropolis, Waiting for Godot and Handmaid's Tale (My own chosen text). I'd recommend checking out some summaries or general ideas online just to see if the actual texts and ideas conveyed are interesting to you. There's no guarantee that you'll use those texts, but I feel that the texts that everyone studied in extension were more open to personal interpretation rather than the teachers telling you the ideas like they did in advanced. For a one-unit subject, it does take up a fair amount of study time, but i would still highly recommend it based off how interesting the content was. Scales pretty well too, so that's a plus :)

Leon_V3

HSC
N/A
Whatever the goddamn f*** you do, do not pick SDD or IPT (or any other tech subjects really). The curriculum is composed in a f***ing awful way to say the least. At least half the class f***ing dropped SDD after Year 11 in my school (and both my previous schools), while IPT was only offered as an accelerated subject. You have been f***ing warned with repeated usage of the word f***.

Like B1andB2 mentioned, languages are good If you have not done a language ate Year 9 or 10, then I suggest Chinese, Italian, Spanish or Indonesian Beginners (the latter three are just outright easy languages, whereas Chinese Beginners as a course is easy from what I've read.). If you are fluent in either Korean or any form of Chinese, Japanese also works (Japanese is easy for these people, although not so much for anyone else). Beginner languages, although scales badly, is reasonably easy so unless you want to be doing Medicine or Law, it should be fine.

Since your essays are good, why not try another HSIE? Especially Society & Culture. Although I never took it, I think it is a really interesting course and I seriously should have taken it if offered. The PIP (or something like that) in Society & Culture lets you investigate any topic you want as long as it is related. Some topics I know that have been done are:
  • Korean names
  • Certain political stuffs
  • Fake news
  • Meme culture (Yes, somebody decided to do that)
I hope that helps.

shashysha

HSC
I dont do extension english, only advanced, but from what my friends say it's more conceptual and "meta" than just pure analysis. I'd suggest you just take up extension english and see if you like it because you always have the choice to drop it if you don't feel like it suits you.
I'd also recommend doing a language - that's something I regret not choosing for my subjects, and plus its really nice to learn a new culture and language thats also applicable in the real world!

ultra908

HSC
ye ipt and sdd arent that great from what i've heard.
If ur good at writing what about modern or ancient? Also another science?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)