Subjection Selection Year 10 (1 Viewer)

papistudy

HSC
I'm currently not sure what subjects to choose this year for my HSC. I'm certain that I want to take Economics, 3U Math, 3U English but I'm not sure whether to take Phys, Chem or Modern History. I did quite well in a recent Physics test, in comparison with other peers so I don't know if I should take Physics. I'm pretty interested in Modern History but my current marks are pretty average, nothing special. I also just started this term to look at Chemistry and I'm not sure if I should take Chem. My main concern is if taking 2 sciences is too demanding, as a science requires a depth study. Any advice?

vivillon

HSC
Hi! I'm currently in year 11. What do you want to do in the future? I know that's quite a loaded question however, certain subjects give you adjustment points depending on what degree and uni you'd like to go do. Physics and chem may be good depending on your drive to study as many of my friends do your exact subject combo. Have you considered biology? Both physics and chemistry are all about applying whilst biology is more content-heavy (although all subjects are quite full-on). Any combination of those choices would be great but tbh just do that subjects that you like since you'll be studying them alot.

vivillon

HSC
Also, I have some physics and chem textbook pdfs, if you'd like them. Feel free to dm!

Carl10101

HSC
I would take whichever you find the most fun, regardless of difficulty or performance. One more thing to consider would be that you can do extension history or extension science in year 12 if you also undertake a history or science, which are both very rewarding subjects

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
The depth study aspect is not that demanding for the sciences and is usually it is quite straight forward as it is based directly on the syllabus dot points. It usually comes in the form of:
- a research task on some syllabus dot points
- performing practicals to answer a certain overall question and then writing a lab report on that
- A combination of the above

A normal depth study will last between 3-6 weeks of one term, so it's not something that you are doing across the whole year

Carl10101

HSC
The depth study aspect is not that demanding for the sciences and is usually it is quite straight forward as it is based directly on the syllabus dot points. It usually comes in the form of:
- performing practicals to answer a certain overall question and then writing a lab report on that

A normal depth study will last between 3-6 weeks of one term, so it's not something that you are doing across the whole year
One of my year 12 chemistry depth studies was just an excursion to the UNSW lol pretty much a day off school and 0 work required

cooljames044

HSC
I mean, i'm currently in Year 10, but try to choose a variety of subjects that you want to do, or that you just like. Thats what my home group teacher suggested. That way, if you don't like some subjects, you have some room to choose other ones...
Although, just keep in mind that prerequisites start to come in at Year 11 and 12.

papistudy

HSC
Hi! I'm currently in year 11. What do you want to do in the future? I know that's quite a loaded question however, certain subjects give you adjustment points depending on what degree and uni you'd like to go do. Physics and chem may be good depending on your drive to study as many of my friends do your exact subject combo. Have you considered biology? Both physics and chemistry are all about applying whilst biology is more content-heavy (although all subjects are quite full-on). Any combination of those choices would be great but tbh just do that subjects that you like since you'll be studying them alot.
Thanks so much for your response it was very helpful! I'm interested in studying commerce and law at uni, but I'm still interested in science so I'm not quite sure at the moment. I'm thinking that I'll do both Phys and Chem as I'm not very strong in biology.

papistudy

HSC

Thanks for your response!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)