The Board Of Studies Is A Joke (1 Viewer)

Jay-Tee

HSC
I am disgusted that already, week 1 of the HSC, that there has been so much controversy over the examination process.

For a paper that should be checked and rechecked again by an array of teachers so it is perfect for the one day of the year it happens to be on, it doesnt seem that hard a task.

Obviously, my main evidence of this is the studies of religion paper. If they had many teachers check and recheck the paper, we wouldnt have this problem. The Board Of Studies is a collective group of the BIGGEST hipocrites I know, as they stress that if we learn the syllabus that everything will be ok, however it appears that they dont even know the syllabus when it comes time to write exams.

What a joke, you should be ashamed of yourself.

hollaholla

HSC
how dare you insult my aunt. I will not have it. Do you not realize everyone doin religion is in the same boat? The harder the paper the easier you'll be marked. Jeez stop complaining and go study !

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am disgusted that already, week 1 of the HSC, that there has been so much controversy over the examination process.

For a paper that should be checked and rechecked again by an array of teachers so it is perfect for the one day of the year it happens to be on, it doesnt seem that hard a task.

Obviously, my main evidence of this is the studies of religion paper. If they had many teachers check and recheck the paper, we wouldnt have this problem. The Board Of Studies is a collective group of the BIGGEST hipocrites I know, as they stress that if we learn the syllabus that everything will be ok, however it appears that they dont even know the syllabus when it comes time to write exams.

What a joke, you should be ashamed of yourself.
So far you have mentioned ONE "problem" that has occured due to BOS's "hypocricy". Business Studies was fine, English paper 1 + 2 were fine, IPT was fine, DT was fine, languages were fine and everything else was fine. Don't blame BOS for your lack of preparation or the understanding of the question. Even so, SOR wasn't that bad. If you could just look at the Short-Answer responses and how they were structured, you could have a glimpse of what are to be written for the essay. For short answers, we had ALL sections tested. Doesn't that imply that you are to write about SOME or ALL of sections? (that's the case in SOR exams - whatever you do in SA for one religion gets repeated in essay for different religion). Besides, the quote itself implied what are to be written. Solid understanding of the sources of the religious truth was required however - this really prevents people who just memorised 3 essays from doing well - like it should because HSC is, as BOS mentioned, about applying your knowledge not simply regurgitating the given info. All in all, take your anger to yourself for not preparing properly or for not reading the question properly.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
So far you have mentioned ONE "problem" that has occured due to BOS's "hypocricy". Business Studies was fine, English paper 1 + 2 were fine, IPT was fine, DT was fine, languages were fine and everything else was fine. Don't blame BOS for your lack of preparation or the understanding of the question. Even so, SOR wasn't that bad. If you could just look at the Short-Answer responses and how they were structured, you could have a glimpse of what are to be written for the essay. For short answers, we had ALL sections tested. Doesn't that imply that you are to write about SOME or ALL of sections? (that's the case in SOR exams - whatever you do in SA for one religion gets repeated in essay for different religion). Besides, the quote itself implied what are to be written. Solid understanding of the sources of the religious truth was required however - this really prevents people who just memorised 3 essays from doing well - like it should because HSC is, as BOS mentioned, about applying your knowledge not simply regurgitating the given info. All in all, take your anger to yourself for not preparing properly or for not reading the question properly.
+1 Besides since the paper was just more difficult won't the aligning just be better?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
+1 Besides since the paper was just more difficult won't the aligning just be better?
If the paper was "difficult" and if people didn't perform as well as to their "usual level", band cut-off will be higher, and yes.

helper

HSC
N/A
BOS has always stated the exams shouldn't be predictable in the whole. Some subjects seem to finally have taken notice of the message.

tku336

HSC
So far there has not been a valid issue with this years HSC. At least last year with Ruse and 3maths there was a valid complaint. Being asked 1 text instead of 2, or having the syllabus knowledge tested in ways which are (gosh) not a dot point, are not things that should be controversial.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Some of you mightn't realise this but the exam was set by teachers and was piloted by teachers - i.e. teachers who have taught the course within the last year or so but aren't teaching it this year are the ones that set the paper and also actually attempt the questions in the recommended time frame.

This is part of the exam setting process. These exams aren't set by the people employed only by the BOS but by practising teachers from all education systems with final approval given by a member of the BOS who was also at one time a practising teacher.

helper

HSC
N/A
Some of you mightn't realise this but the exam was set by teachers and was piloted by teachers - i.e. teachers who have taught the course within the last year or so but aren't teaching it this year are the ones that set the paper and also actually attempt the questions in the recommended time frame.

This is part of the exam setting process. These exams aren't set by the people employed only by the BOS but by practising teachers from all education systems with final approval given by a member of the BOS who was also at one time a practising teacher.
Not all members of the exam committee have taught the subject. In the sciences at least it is normal to have an academic from a university on the committee. Often they end up being the head examiner.

HSC
get the fuck over it!for people who knew their stuff studies of religion wasn't even that difficult.omgggg they changed the exam. have a whinge!!

Aplus

HSC
N/A
what happened with ruse and 3unit last yr? just curious..
Blackout in their hall, and they got like extra 15 minutes even though they continued working through the blackout unaffected.

Anon4Real

HSC
Get the fuck over SORYeah I agree BOS is a joke, cause I fucking hate exams lol. But seriously, if something like a harder question in a religion exam is ruining your life, then you sir have issues

Book Freak

Whovian
HSC
what was the actual problem with the religion paper? (genuine question, not taking the piss) All I've heard was that it didn't follow the syllabus, were the questions 'answerable'? or just unexpected? For example, in Ad. Eng. paper 2 the Halet essay question was unanticipated but still stuck to the syllabus

HSC
if you can't handle a few little changes to the exams, your shouldn't be going to uni. give up on life. now

jotdan

HSC
how dare you insult my aunt. I will not have it. Do you not realize everyone doin religion is in the same boat? The harder the paper the easier you'll be marked. Jeez stop complaining and go study !
You feel offended when someone insults your aunt? HAHAH i cant even imagine how pissed off youd be if the insult had been directed at your mum get over it, your aunt and everyone else did a shitass job HOWEVER The english papers were amazingly accessible

muz01

HSC
honestly if you do end up fuckin up an exam cuz of a stupid question its not like it the end of your life, fuck.
A chick who i work with got a UAI of like below 60 and got accepted for a course that requires you a min UAI of 88. The whole system is a joke, its all based on knowledge which I believe isn't a great indicator of your capabilities, only your capabilities on ur effectiveness of studying, the whole thing is complete bullshit. It puts extra pressure on you for what??
a piece of paper that your more then likely gonna throw out after uni anyway,
i reckon they need to have a consistany about the board making exams the same level of difficulty not "oh lets make this year easy, and be dickheads and make nxt year harder". Thats what pisses me off and thats my two cents.
Oh and yes I do believe the Board is a joke

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)