The choice (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
When we choose a government we choose not just a suite of policies but also a frame of mind.

I'm a Liberal because I'm fundamentally optimistic about the world, about Australia, about the capacity of human beings to solve their problems.

When you choose a Liberal government you choose the language of opportunity, of excellence, of aspiration, of ambition.

By contrast, a Labor government is absorbed with the language of insecurity, injustice, discrimination and disadvantage.

As we reflect on which of two men should live in the Lodge and lead this nation, we're faced with one who sees the world through the lens of opportunity, one who is locked in the lens of disadvantage. I'm an optimist, where do you stand?

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's personal. I see the Liberal attitude in a negative light and tend to be more optimistic with regards to Labor's position. It's far from being the simple distinction that you propose (I know that you are aware of this, too).

Edit: You seem to be using the fear (rahter than race) card quite well, though.

Rorix

HSC
oh dear this thread is going to go well

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I fail to see how a party that runs an election campaign based on fear and negativity about the other side can be positive an optimistic. On the other hand, regardless of their policies, the Labor campaign has been far more positive and appealing - they have actually tried to market themselves instead of purely putting down the other team.

I'm assuming your land of opportunity doesn't include rural areas or indigenous communities too, because they're not getting many at the moment (8 1/2 years is enough time to make something of a dint if they wanted to).

ohne

HSC
mervvyn said:
I fail to see how a party that runs an election campaign based on fear and negativity about the other side can be positive an optimistic. On the other hand, regardless of their policies, the Labor campaign has been far more positive and appealing - they have actually tried to market themselves instead of purely putting down the other team.

I'm assuming your land of opportunity doesn't include rural areas or indigenous communities too, because they're not getting many at the moment (8 1/2 years is enough time to make something of a dint if they wanted to).
If you look at most of the ALPs policies they are all negative. The vast majority of their policies involve LOSERS as well as winners. If you look at the Liberal policies they are quite the opposite.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
ohne said:
If you look at most of the ALPs policies they are all negative. The vast majority of their policies involve LOSERS as well as winners. If you look at the Liberal policies they are quite the opposite.
That's presumably because not everyone at every point in time is a winner? People at the bottom of the socioeconomic heap, sometimes you have to help them so they can help themselves.

You still didn't address the overwhelming negativity of the Liberal campaign...

spell check

HSC
ohne said:
When we choose a government we choose not just a suite of policies but also a frame of mind.

I'm a Liberal because I'm fundamentally optimistic about the world, about Australia, about the capacity of human beings to solve their problems.

When you choose a Liberal government you choose the language of opportunity, of excellence, of aspiration, of ambition.

By contrast, a Labor government is absorbed with the language of insecurity, injustice, discrimination and disadvantage.

As we reflect on which of two men should live in the Lodge and lead this nation, we're faced with one who sees the world through the lens of opportunity, one who is locked in the lens of disadvantage. I'm an optimist, where do you stand?
that's right, the Liberals stand for those who have opportunities for excellence, aspiration and ambition

and Labor are preoccupied with people suffering from injustice, discrimination and disadvantage

you can't have Liberals without Lies

is a roflcopter
HSC
i saw the matchup of promised spending in todays herald
greens seem the most attractive but they are a bunch of loonies with no real policy

liberals seem to promote a lot of ephermeral shit with no quantatitive goals - waffling on about promoting workplaces efficiency and opportunities and blah blah. basically crap that i would stuff in a business studies assignment

im still reading labour. but their promise to cut the 25% hecs thing is ......promising

and ohne you load more political bullshit than michael moore and the bush government combined

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
spell check said:
that's right, the Liberals stand for those who have opportunities for excellence, aspiration and ambition

and Labor are preoccupied with people suffering from injustice, discrimination and disadvantage

you can't have Liberals without Lies
It's back to Howard's long-held belief that good social policy means to inject everything into the top tier and hope that it trickles down to the rest of us. By turning a blind eye to the issues of justice, discrimination and disadvantage, you're only fooling yourself. Can we have excellence, aspiration and ambition while simultaneously ignoring the problems inherantly present in society?

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
ohne said:

that is the biggest load of shit i've ever read

howard's campaign is based on discrediting Latham, scaring the public by saying that he will raise interest rates (which is a lie), and that he is inexperienced, will mismanage the economy etc. how can you get more insecure than constantly telling lies about your opponent?

it is hardly optimistic to vote Howard just because you are scared that Latham is inexperienced. I'm an optimist in voting Labor because i'm optimistic that they will be a truthful government and benefit the people.

i really do hope you were kidding when you wrote that, or it is a clever satire

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
mervvyn said:

Are you blind? or the labor ads only one is about a 'positive' future.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
mervvyn said:

Are you blind? the labor ads only one is about a 'positive' future...alot of them are negative...

Rural Areas? The Rural areas will hate latham for siding with the greens in tasmania & because the nationals are very well supported in rural areas..

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Asquithian said:
...how can you say that threatening people with high interest rates if you dont vote for them is positive?
Exactly - at least Labor has talked about a vision for Australia, improving shit in our country, not just beating the same tired drum about interest rates - i give you, the leadership thing is wearing thin, but so are interest rates - THAT is a positive outlook on Australia.
I would really like to believe you though, so if you could just point out some positive, optimistic policies or adverts of the coalition, and i'll give it a shot.

ohne

HSC
mervvyn said:
That's presumably because not everyone at every point in time is a winner? People at the bottom of the socioeconomic heap, sometimes you have to help them so they can help themselves.

If the ALP is so concerned about people at the bottom of the socioeconomic heap why is their tax and family policy taking a significant amount of money away from single income families earning under $35 000 p.a?

ohne

HSC
mervvyn said:
Well if the Liberal party is letting down people from rural and indigenous communities, election results are not showing it. Electorates such as Leichhardt and Kalgoorie with very high Aboriginal populations are held by the Liberal Party.

Here's a challenge for you if you think Liberal policies are so bad for rural areas:

Name me a rural seat held by the ALP

ohne

HSC
mervvyn said:

You are distinguishing between advertising and policy. After October 9 advertising means nothing and policy means everything.

Most ALP policies are based on some degree of hatred or envy towards certain members of our community. This is most easily reflected in industrial relations, forestry, taxation, health and education policies.

Rorix

HSC
I really need to draw up a MSPaint pic for stones in glass houses.

ohne

HSC
Newbie said:
and ohne you load more political bullshit than michael moore and the bush government combined
lol

It's called ideology. Something far more important than the number of spending promises or tax cuts delivered by either party in the campaign.

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
ok so the liberals dont hate unions?
No, the Liberal Party supports the existance of unions.

The ALP hates workers who are not members of unions and those who believe they are capable of negotiating their own wages, free from union interference. The ALP does not believe individuals are capable of achieving anything for themselves so they are attempting to force people to bargain collectively.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
mervvyn said:
Exactly - at least Labor has talked about a vision for Australia, improving shit in our country, not just beating the same tired drum about interest rates - i give you, the leadership thing is wearing thin, but so are interest rates - THAT is a positive outlook on Australia.
I would really like to believe you though, so if you could just point out some positive, optimistic policies or adverts of the coalition, and i'll give it a shot.
oh come on the alp's just as bad, next time one of their ads come on tv just pretend its a liberal ad and see what u think lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)