The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
Re: interview @ coles

The questions asked depends on who is interviewing you..

I pretty much knew I got the job after the manager just glanced at me.
So we just chatted for 5-10mins about my education, if I knew which position I applied for, which position I'd like to be in, and it was outgoing and informal.

Just wear a white shirt [not a polo], black pants, and black leather top shoes... well, I wore heels but yeah..

I don't remember what I brought.. I think I brought the resume I sent them, and possibly a photocopy of my birth cert, and my HSC results..

I've trained so many Coles checkout staff [as it's part of my job].. and how hard it is depends on how competent you are.. some get it straight away, and some struggle forever.. but then I guess it also depends on who is training you and how they train you..

CieL

HSC

milocole said:
Try not to get brain freezes on questions that they ask you.

Advice- Do not say "I want to work in Dairy"

You will thank me later....
lol

I reckon working in checkouts is the best. You don't have to do heavy labour, or freeze your ass off =]

greekgun

HSC

nanaxdd said:
btw does coles check references?
Nah i dont believe they do. One of my family friends who owns a computer store said that he would be a referee for me, and that he would make up good bullshit about me and said i was a fantastic sales person etc etc. I put him down as 1 of 2 refrences and when i spoke to him after i got the job he said they didnt even contact him. Seriously dont fret, in the unlikely event u dont get the job (and beleive me u must to the stupidist things stuff up the interview and not get the job), it wont be the end of the world. There a billions of jobs out there.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC

greekgun said:
Nah i dont believe they do. One of my family friends who owns a computer store said that he would be a referee for me, and that he would make up good bullshit about me and said i was a fantastic sales person etc etc. I put him down as 1 of 2 refrences and when i spoke to him after i got the job he said they didnt even contact him. Seriously dont fret, in the unlikely event u dont get the job (and beleive me u must to the stupidist things stuff up the interview and not get the job), it wont be the end of the world. There a billions of jobs out there.
+1

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
ok..so my interview went alright..he told me the procedures of the online induction and he also said i did very well for my interview but he has to choose 8 out of 30?! so im not sure whats going to happen...how long do they contact u after the interview?

mynameiskate

HSC
Unsure- help!!!

Hi, i'm new and I need some help!

I have 4.5 years retail experience behind me at Toys R Us (including some management) , i was full time but went back to part time to go to uni cause retail sucks hardcore. Basically i HAVE to leave because the chick who replaced me is a MORON who thinks she now owns the place.

I had two interviews on friday- one for David Jones and the other for a small Coles. DJ's would be for a christmas casual and Coles is for a part time check out operator.

DJ's
Pros: really nice new store, large company, hopefully lots of hours over the Christmas holidays, stay in retail industry and continue to build my resume- could get the baby department (i used to manage babies at TRU), casual pay rate

Cons: In town (have to pay for parking), might not get as many hours as I want, I would be one of 190 chris casuals to start state wide, could get cut Jan 25th when contract runs out

Coles
Pros: Free parking, 2 min from uni, 10 min from my house, friendly, guarenteed shifts as a part timer, would stay on after christmas, possibility to get some shifts in other areas

Cons: Really small store, old store, to begin with only 8-12 hours a week, part time pay rates.

What do you guys think? Coles or DJ's??? I really dont know what to do- i'm currently leaning towards coles i think.

mitch179

HSC
Re: Unsure- help!!!

mynameiskate said:
Hi, i'm new and I need some help!

I have 4.5 years retail experience behind me at Toys R Us (including some management) , i was full time but went back to part time to go to uni cause retail sucks hardcore. Basically i HAVE to leave because the chick who replaced me is a MORON who thinks she now owns the place.

I had two interviews on friday- one for David Jones and the other for a small Coles. DJ's would be for a christmas casual and Coles is for a part time check out operator.

DJ's
Pros: really nice new store, large company, hopefully lots of hours over the Christmas holidays, stay in retail industry and continue to build my resume- could get the baby department (i used to manage babies at TRU), casual pay rate

Cons: In town (have to pay for parking), might not get as many hours as I want, I would be one of 190 chris casuals to start state wide, could get cut Jan 25th when contract runs out

Coles
Pros: Free parking, 2 min from uni, 10 min from my house, friendly, guarenteed shifts as a part timer, would stay on after christmas, possibility to get some shifts in other areas

Cons: Really small store, old store, to begin with only 8-12 hours a week, part time pay rates.

What do you guys think? Coles or DJ's??? I really dont know what to do- i'm currently leaning towards coles i think.
I'd go with Coles if I were you.
It may be part time pay rates but you could get a chance to extend your guaranteed hours after a while. As stated, you'll get guaranteed hours and you'll still have a job after January.

Plus, free parking is good too right :p

CieL

HSC
nanaxdd said:
ok..so my interview went alright..he told me the procedures of the online induction and he also said i did very well for my interview but he has to choose 8 out of 30?! so im not sure whats going to happen...how long do they contact u after the interview?
He told you the online induction procedures?
You should get the job after he outlines that.. Because they pay you for the online induction and I'm sure he wouldnt spend money training you up to say you're rejected..
Unless I've interpreted something wrong here................

Speaking of which.. we hired some guy's sister for checkouts.. the guy works in produce.. and we got her through the online induction, the training, put her name in the system.. then not even after an official shift.......... SHE QUITS

The office is so pissed off at her because it costs a few hundred dollars to get ONE new person into the system. She we've paid her for all the stupid ass online shit and training and now she's resigned already, plus taking a couple hundred bucks with her. She cost the company $800 in total.

````

Oh, and Kate.. I'm leaning towards Coles too..
I think DJ either pays a dollar more or less [per hr] compared to Coles.. I don't remember which..

But seriously, I live 3-7mins away from work with free parking and it is freaking awesome. I wake up half an hour before my shift.. don't really have to worry about my car.. and I usually work long hours [9hrs, 4-6 days a week], and in a shopping centre or wherever [altho they give staff discounts] it takes a bite out of your pay.. I think Westfield's staff carpark offered $7-10 for the day.. and it's also on the roof which is uncovered..

Plus Coles would also need you for their xmas rush.

Also.. did you say Coles offers you part time rates? Because Coles never hires people as part-timers to begin with..

Just don't accept, try it out then quit.. as mentioned above..

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
You all seem to lucky...

At our store, the nearest "free park" is a 5km away

CieL

HSC
Yeah.. I used to work at King St Wharf.. that was a bitch for parking.. I needed to scout an hour before every shift for "free parking".. which was really a dead end at a construction site.. The one time which I decided to pay for parking [because if I didnt park then I would be late for work].. in which the machine ate my money n didnt give me change.. I was 10mins late to move my car [to park again because my shift hadnt ended] I copped a $77 fine =[

So I was so bloody happy when I got a new job which is close to home with free and unlimited parking

bdude

HSC
Yeah those luck8 things are gay, im sick of explaining wat they are everytime a customer see's one of those signs. I just give them to the customers who ask for them if they have spent 40 dollars or more, otherwise i cbf.
Since they expired today (Sunday) I overheard one of the Coles checkout managers at a store a few days ago saying to just give out a crapload of them.

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
hey guys..i had an interview on sat rite...and todays monday..i still haven't got a reply! how long does it take for them to reply me? within a week? im so nervous..yikes!

CieL

HSC
nanaxdd said:
hey guys..i had an interview on sat rite...and todays monday..i still haven't got a reply! how long does it take for them to reply me? within a week? im so nervous..yikes!
*SIGH*

Since people don't know how to search threads I shall repeat myself for the possibly hundreth time.

NO YOU WILL NOT GET A REPLY IN TWO DAYS.

Common sense girl. You said they had to narrow it down to 8 applicants from 30. Interview was on Saturday. At Broadway Coles which is massive. It is likely they didnt do all 30 in one day. Then the person(s) who does recruitment is likely to not only do that single job. PEOPLE IN THE OFFICE HAVE OTHER THINGS TO TAKE CARE OF. People do not also work 7 days a week since it is not allowed at Coles.

So since there are a few amounts of applications I would think that they should reply to you within a month or two. And from memory from what other people said, after two months you should consider yourself rejected.

Having said that, just so other people know that it is a possibility.. my interview group size was heaps small.. and I got a phone call to say I was hired about 3 hours after my 1-1 interview.

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
thanks for the reply ciel~ i have been reading your previous posts and i am so glad your here to update/advise us abt coles!

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
phyr3 said:
been a month and still waiting ><
Login to your Coles Careers account, click on the "View Application" and see what your Status is.....

I know someone who went to the GInterview on Saturday, and Found out her fate on Wednedsay........

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
i went to an interview on sat...and i knew on thursday that i got it =]] yay! i want to think everyone here for helping =]

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
nanaxdd said:
i went to an interview on sat...and i knew on thursday that i got it =]] yay! i want to think everyone here for helping =]
congrats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)