The Football Thread (2 Viewers)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: The Official Football Thread

Scratch that, looks like he's already gotten the sack.

Makematics

HSC
Hiddink sounds good. Also check out slovakias own goal guys. Absolutely ridiculous, defender passes it to keeper and goes straight through his legs

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A

I think Hiddink will only be a temporary replacement until the WC or even until the Asian Cup.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A

Regardless of if we're going to get thrashed or not...we need to breed the next generation. The so called Golden Generation has well and truly past their expiry date...what's Neil still doing as Captain? Surely now he needs step down

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC

The big today is tomorrow
The use of paradox by Makematics and the declarative tone implied by the use of 'is' hence states that....

yay never need to do that again

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OnEV_P8DgU[/youtube]

Wow.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Regardless of if we're going to get thrashed or not...we need to breed the next generation. The so called Golden Generation has well and truly past their expiry date...what's Neil still doing as Captain? Surely now he needs step down
Neil is fine as captain cause of experience but he should retire soon. I think we just need a better method of development of football players. The Golden Generation was past its expiry date in the performance in 2010. Australia is a developed nation that should theoretically yield players on par with Germany or France.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Neil is fine as captain cause of experience but he should retire soon. I think we just need a better method of development of football players. The Golden Generation was past its expiry date in the performance in 2010. Australia is a developed nation that should theoretically yield players on par with Germany or France.
It doesn't help that football isn't the most popular sport in the country. Like, the United States has a similar problem to us, albeit not as severe.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

That is true. Cricket has been played for centuries and NRL for about over 50 years.
Many people did not actually notice football until the 2006 world cup here in Australia.

Do you think however that other states in Australia have taken football more seriously than NSW?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

That is true. Cricket has been played for centuries and NRL for about over 50 years.
Many people did not actually notice football until the 2006 world cup here in Australia.

Do you think however that other states in Australia have taken football more seriously than NSW?
No, not really.

I'd say it's marginally more popular in Victoria (specifically Melbourne) but in terms of whether there's a difference between states, I don't think it really matters.

NRL and AFL obviously have varying levels of popularity depending on which state you're looking at but the competitions reflect that divide. At best, the A-League has an extra team in NSW and VIC but that's more or less a result of how large the possible market is.

In my opinion, if we really want Australian football to improve, there needs to be a push towards greater exposure in the media. It's all well and good to have the games on Fox Sports but only so many people subscribe to those channels. Those which don't may go to the games, some may watch the games via illegal streams but otherwise, you're missing out on that market. You could argue that increasing television coverage will reduce attendance but I think the majority of fans which attend the games don't consider television coverage and actual attendance as substitutes. Of course, it's worth looking into this further.

Makematics

HSC
The Official Football Thread

SBS live champions league coverage is a gift though. As for the A-League, it is far far away from taking a night-time slot on a major free channel

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Having seen the rubbish which they show at the moment in prime time, they could do a lot worse.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

No, not really.

I'd say it's marginally more popular in Victoria (specifically Melbourne) but in terms of whether there's a difference between states, I don't think it really matters.

NRL and AFL obviously have varying levels of popularity depending on which state you're looking at but the competitions reflect that divide. At best, the A-League has an extra team in NSW and VIC but that's more or less a result of how large the possible market is.

In my opinion, if we really want Australian football to improve, there needs to be a push towards greater exposure in the media. It's all well and good to have the games on Fox Sports but only so many people subscribe to those channels. Those which don't may go to the games, some may watch the games via illegal streams but otherwise, you're missing out on that market. You could argue that increasing television coverage will reduce attendance but I think the majority of fans which attend the games don't consider television coverage and actual attendance as substitutes. Of course, it's worth looking into this further.
Absolutely, the media's influence is greatly proportional to this. I have a friend who still has the dream of becoming a professional and I think he has the potential, but has decided to pursue the dream in the states due to the higher demand for football there. With cricket and NRL all over tv and media, new generations are being exposed to these sports and are entirely missing out on football.
And it is really sad to see that numbers in my local district are decreasing every year for the younger age groups. When I was 11, there were 8 divisions with 10 teams in each. Progressively there are less and less under 11's each year, with only 4 or 5 divisions with less teams each.

If the media could turn more attention to football, then we would still probably see the same number of NRL or cricket players, but an increase in the competition of footballers in Australia.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

SBS live champions league coverage is a gift though. As for the A-League, it is far far away from taking a night-time slot on a major free channel
But that is actually a disadvantage. A lot of aspirating young footballers will have the wrong image that only Europeans or South American teams in Copa Libertadores actually play, thus causing them to not even think of pursuing football in Australia.

But I don't complain. Champions league is the best. Those memories of early 4:30 am waking up to watch Chelsea and Bayern Munich or Milan and Madrid or even Man U and Benfica kick-off.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Dem memories of nearly crying at 3am because we equalised against Arsenal.

Makematics

HSC
The Official Football Thread

Having seen the rubbish which they show at the moment in prime time, they could do a lot worse.
Dont get me wrong, I WANT them to put it on, but in reality its not gonna happen soon as the main target audience of these tv stations is NRL/AFL fans i.e. true blue aussies
Which is why we see so much junk on the tv

Dem memories of nearly crying at 3am because we equalised against Arsenal.
Dem memories of swearing at the TV when Italy scored a penalty back in 06. I dont think any Aussie who watched that will EVER let that go... It was our best run on the world stage by far

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)