the hsc cannot tell you how smart you are. discuss (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
stazi said:
I never said that he is intelligent BECAUSE he gets high university marks, I say that he's intelligent generally and (for example), he gets high university marks.
Well I think everyone here has demonstrated greater intelligence than him by ripping his arguments to shred using good logic... but you know, he did get 99.9 :)

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
u cant really define it, can u?
i mean, intelligence isn't somethin u can define....ppl will be "intelligent" in different areas, but that'll mean everyone is intelligent...if every1 is intelligent then how can there be such a term, since there will be no stupid ppl out there?
so i guess it's like one of those age old questions such as wat is the meaning of life LOL:rofl:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
funnybunny said:
i mean, intelligence isn't somethin u can define....ppl will be "intelligent" in different areas, so i guess it's like one of those age old questions such as wat is the meaning of life LOL:rofl:
you say that after I posted about intelligence. however, just before you were talking about intelligence being 'smartness', therefore those with high uais are smarter/more intelligent than those who achieve lower uais.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
funnybunny said:
i mean, intelligence isn't somethin u can define....ppl will be "intelligent" in different areas, but that'll mean everyone is intelligent...if every1 is intelligent then how can there be such a term, since there will be no stupid ppl out there?
so i guess it's like one of those age old questions such as wat is the meaning of life LOL:rofl:
Surely intelligence has to correspond in some way to critical thinking skills? While of course it's very hard to get down an exact definition, and you can have intelligence in different things...However I think general intelligence in all areas (except perhaps memory skill) come down to critical thinking abilitu.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
funnybunny said:
Point D: 'Smart' people are then all altruistic members of society, who would never think of private/personal gain before the better of the community right?

how can u conclude that from the fact that i've said that not-that-bright thinks life is all about money????? i hav said that not all ppl do med/law for the money....that does NOT necessarily mean that every1 does med/law JUST for alturistic reasons....
After reading post after post., i've just come to the fact that u and not-that-bright simply attack parts of an argument and then simply change the meaning of it, just so that u can actually win an argument.....pfft..pathetic
"The very same way you can justify high shcool marks equate to intelligence"
UMMM>>>when did i actually say that high school marks means u r intelligent..i've simply said that if ur smart then u'll put an effort into the HSC....WELL ANYHOW, SO BASICALLY, according to u , ur justifying stupidity with stupidity?
it's funny though - they way u maniuplate ppl's posts :rofl:
Did you not see the quotes i just posted? Or do i have to link you back to your own posts?

Originally Posted by funnybunny
lol....well, it'as as u said..u cant judge a person by how they act online
"not_that_bright is one of the most 'intelligent' people here, he gets very high university marks, " ..yet again..u fail 2 support ur other posts...how can u say that "intelligent" is getting "high university marks"

Originally Posted by funnybunny
So, i guess it's more like if ur smart, then u'll put more effort into getting a higher uai not the other way around....if u get wat i mean..but if u dont, u must hav not gotten a high uai

Putting the effort into getting a high UAI, thus high school marks, = smart.

I did not misquote you, nor did i attempt to create an argument past what you have stated.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Funnybunny's arguments summed up in one point:

...if u werent commited for the hsc, then it says somethin about everythin u will do later in life.........

Smartness is measured/correlates to the UAI, therefore a bad UAI means you are DOOOOMED

nwatts

HSC
funnybunny said:
No, you're wrong. Intelligence can be defined, however its definition may simply be subject to the individual. I tend to agree with NTB, that intelligence is concerned with an individual's capacity for thought. Specifically, as mentioned, the ability to critique.

Before you rant and rave about how the HSC/UAI is a mark of intelligence, you've got to sort out what you consider intelligent. For example, just reading your roles of bollocks, I figure you as a living example the HSC does shit all. You supposedly got 99.9, and you are unable to argue cohesively, unable to communicate through the written word properly, and don't seem to be able to consider others' input into the debate. They're aspects that I consider encompass a definition of intelligence. You don't?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nwatts said:
No, you're wrong. Intelligence can be defined, however its definition may simply be subject to the individual. I tend to agree with NTB, that intelligence is concerned with an individual's capacity for thought. Specifically, as mentioned, the ability to critique.

Before you rant and rave about how the HSC/UAI is a mark of intelligence, you've got to sort out what you consider intelligent. For example, just reading your roles of bollocks, I figure you as a living example the HSC does shit all. You supposedly got 99.9, and you are unable to argue cohesively, unable to communicate through the written word properly, and don't seem to be able to consider others' input into the debate. They're aspects that I consider encompass a definition of intelligence. You don't?
*claps*
top post.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Anyway from wikipedia on the topic... two major 'consensus' ideas of what intelligence is, I believe the second one echos the point of view of Nwatts, Asylum, Stazi and many others...

wikipedia said:
Individuals differ from one another in their ability to understand complex ideas, to adapt effectively to the environment, to learn from experience, to engage in various forms of reasoning, to overcome obstacles by taking thought. Although these individual differences can be substantial, they are never entirely consistent: a given person’s intellectual performance will vary on different occasions, in different domains, as judged by different criteria. Concepts of "intelligence" are attempts to clarify and organize this complex set of phenomena.
And the one I particularily like...

Wikipedia said:
a very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings—"catching on", "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do. (reprinted in Gottfredson, 1997, p. 13)
Of course, our AWESUM POWAR UAI MASTER! has already seen such arguments and dismissed them as folly - these people are just jealous of him.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Looking at his posts, I not only believe he's not a troll... I also believe he did get 99.9. It's quite scary looking at how stupid his posts are - I mean, I actually think the HSC is a decent indicator of future accademic performance... but he puts me off a little lol

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Looking at his posts, I not only believe he's not a troll... I also believe he did get 99.9. It's quite scary looking at how stupid his posts are - I mean, I actually think the HSC is a decent indicator of future accademic performance... but he puts me off a little lol
I was hoping funnybunny was a troll, he/she is making a complete arse of the HSC/UAI system.

I won't believe the 99.9 UAI until I see a screenshot or other plausible evidence.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I believe the UAI, he probably did exceptionally well in Maths and Science-based subjects. I also assume he's a typical 'asian nerd' with no concept of self or what is happening around him.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
He is going to UNSW doing a Med degree :p

Anyways night fellas, all this typing has made me want to play geetar, and at 2:30 in the morning, thats not an option, time to sleep before i get tempted to wake the rents.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
_dhj_ said:
I have a feeling the uai is real... don't know why.
Yea I believe the UAI, i looked at some of his older posts and they all seem to kinda confirm it... it seems he studied quite a bit, but it's still a great uai. At the same time it's quite a worry...

nwatts

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea I believe the UAI, i looked at some of his older posts and they all seem to kinda confirm it... it seems he studied quite a bit, but it's still a great uai. At the same time it's quite a worry...
Just further goes to show how useless the HSC is.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The HSC is probably not the best indicator of intelligence, but if you actually tried hard and don't have a learning disability, then 79 would indicate that you're probably not a supergenius.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
I think i justfied myself well, but due to the ignorant users on this post, it seems that to make you happy i will be typing for the rest of my life and my afterlife. I remember lexiograher, i believe said that he didn't really try in the HSC (yes ppl do not always try) so this is an exception to the rule.

Anyway not-that-bright, aka Mr 8,500+ posts, now who needs to get a life. :rofl: :rofl: And ur not even a BOS man. rofl IT's sad how a person with so much experience in posting can't even reply with a coherent response, even with a dictionary. I mean is this a hobby of yours?

And yea, spelling mistakes...i didn't really care about mistakes..but not-that-bright "ascertions"..i think that is a genuine mistake btw it's spelt "assertions" :wave: And you went to the dicitonary to define "intelligence"... How many other times did you go to look up other "big" words. rofl

Besides ppl who argue with me are probabalyy thos who tried very hard to get a high uai, but didn't. They are just trying to argue with ppl to delude themselves and make themselves feel better:)
Time to go watch my Simpsons episodes. :):):):):wave:

"Smartness is measured/correlates to the UAI, therefore a bad UAI means you are DOOOOMED" Actually it means that you are not very smart or you have bludged your hsc year. Your use of intellect to string two ideas together, one which i never even said(doomed) is amazing. I see that media degree as got you very far!!

Oh yeah fleasingbAg, screenshots can be easily altered if you didn't know, you'lll then prob accuse me of this anywya.. Mannn it's sseriously sad how ppl who got low uai try to discredit others(not neccessarily directed at u).:)

PS Brogan_77 PLz fo not use expletives, it just shows your stupidity and ignorance. Go to your bogan friends in the bush and release your frustrations on them.

"e is going to UNSW doing a Med degree " Yeah..lucky i studied/worked hard in the last year so i could get into what i want.

Stazi- "he probably did exceptionally well in Maths and Science-based subjects" thankyou but i must have done well in english to get 99.9 since english scales poorly if you get less than 90. " typical 'asian nerd'...once again ur wrong. You must be one of these aussie (or of similar nature) dudes who think that people who get high uais are study asian type nerds. Actually there are a lot of non-asians in law, commerce etc! "no concept of self or what is happening around him." Well obviously making these rather random comments must be a past-time of urs. You obivuosly don't go out much or u'll realise there are non-asians in unis. JUST ANOTHER example of jealousy against high uai-achievers..i pity u

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Anyway not-that-bright, aka Mr 8,500+ posts, now who needs to get a life. And ur not even a BOS man. rofl IT's sad how a person with so much experience in posting can't even reply with a coherent response, even with a dictionary. I mean is this a hobby of yours?
You don't need experience posting to reply in a coherant manner... you just need you know, basic knowledge of english / computers / logic. Yes it is a hobby of mine :/

And yea, spelling mistakes...i didn't really care about mistakes..but not-that-bright "ascertions"..i think that is a genuine mistake btw it's spelt "assertions"
Yea I stuffed up that word :eek:

And you went to the dicitonary to define "intelligence"... How many other times did you go to look up other "big" words. rofl
I used a dictionary to define 'meet' for you because you claimed I wasn't using the word properly... and well I was. As for the definition of Intelligence, I went to Wikipedia... as its name suggests this is an online encyclopedia. The reason I bothered to do this is as there was a slight debate about what intelligence really is, you were claiming it was undefinable yet at the same time you were professing the hsc/uai as a measure of intelligence (odd logic there). I put forward my view of what intelligence is, as did many others... this conflicted with your own view and you seemed to have a problem with it - so off I went to look for some reputable sources on the definition of intelligence for your benefit.

Besides ppl who argue with me are probabalyy thos who tried very hard to get a high uai, but didn't. They are just trying to argue with ppl to delude themselves and make themselves feel better
Ok.. I don't think so, but even if that is true - you still haven't provided a proper rebuttle to their arguments.

Mannn it's sseriously sad how ppl who got low uai try to discredit others(not neccessarily directed at u).
Actually several people with very high uais have been arguing with you also... the only person whos uai you know is mine :/

Stazi- "he probably did exceptionally well in Maths and Science-based subjects" thankyou but i must have done well in english to get 99.9 since english scales poorly if you get less than 90. " typical 'asian nerd'...once again ur wrong. You must be one of these aussie (or of similar nature) dudes who think that people who get high uais are study asian type nerds.
What? So English wasn't your worst subject? It wasn't the one that pulled you down considerably?

Stazi- "he probably did exceptionally well in Maths and Science-based subjects" thankyou but i must have done well in english to get 99.9 since english scales poorly if you get less than 90. " typical 'asian nerd'...once again ur wrong. You must be one of these aussie (or of similar nature) dudes who think that people who get high uais are study asian type nerds. Actually there are a lot of non-asians in law, commerce etc! "no concept of self or what is happening around him." Well obviously making these rather random comments must be a past-time of urs. You obivuosly don't go out much or u'll realise there are non-asians in unis. JUST ANOTHER example of jealousy against high uai-achievers..i pity u
The reason people attribute these qualities to you is because you've shown yourself to be quite a moron when faced with a real life argument.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)