The Ladder Theory (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
TheHarlequinMan said:
my view on the ladder theory:

its ridiculous and has enough genralisations to make an english teacher explode...

the end...i hope
your the intelectual whore for sure

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Logain said:
Scenario 3: A girl says any of the following to you:

* "You're like a brother to me"
* "You're like a big teddy bear"
* "I feel like I can talk to you about anything"
* "You're so nice"
* "Can you help me with my homework"

Toooooo true.

I hate that brother one. HATE IT.
* "You're like a big teddy bear" - FAT GUYS THAT ARE JUST FRIENDS TO BE MORE SPECIFIC

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i guess the ladder theory asks one big question: Why do girls be friends with guys? dont you know we want more than friendship? why refer to us as brothers or teddybears?

i think it basically comes down to the girl wants something the guy has, like say he is good with computers and hers keeps fucking up and she wants him to fix it...and she doesnt want to go out with him cause he is ugly/fat/nerdy so she strings him along implying something more will happen just so she gets what she wants.

harhar but i see right through it

girls are stupid, throw rocks at them

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Serius said:
i guess the ladder theory asks one big question: Why do girls be friends with guys? dont you know we want more than friendship? why refer to us as brothers or teddybears?

i think it basically comes down to the girl wants something the guy has, like say he is good with computers and hers keeps fucking up and she wants him to fix it...and she doesnt want to go out with him cause he is ugly/fat/nerdy so she strings him along implying something more will happen just so she gets what she wants.

harhar but i see right through it

girls are stupid, throw rocks at them
Bullshit is an understatement for this post.

Girls are friends with guys for the same reason they're friends with other girls. Although I've never had a guy friend for more than a couple of months (we won't go into that so don't use me as an example for your argument), my friends all have quite a few friends who are guys. They are completely normal friends, with no urges to sex each other (some of them aren't single).

There are people who are only friends with others to use them, but generalising "a few people" as "girls" is just weird. Males use people just as often as females do.

Sanjay

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Bullshit is an understatement for this post.

Girls are friends with guys for the same reason they're friends with other girls. Although I've never had a guy friend for more than a couple of months (we won't go into that so don't use me as an example for your argument), my friends all have quite a few friends who are guys. They are completely normal friends, with no urges to sex each other (some of them aren't single).

There are people who are only friends with others to use them, but generalising "a few people" as "girls" is just weird. Males use people just as often as females do.

So despite the fact that your friendship experiences with men/boys have been temporary and arguably non-existent at best, you're asking us to believe your dissertation that girls and guys are friends for normal and innocent reasons.

So basically you are not in a qualified position to speak and your only experiences are second hand through your "friends" but you want us to take this pretentious drivel and nod politely whilst drolling in a sycophantic intonation "yes indeed dreamerish, that is rather true and such"

Bullshit is an understatement for the content you've just presented.

LOOK EVERYONE IT'S THE RARE ANIMAL CALLED THE HYPOCRITE!!!!! :O:O

**Oh and i did read your request not to talk about your experiences with guys, but it was a total smoke screen for yourself so i decided i'd flout your wishes just this once and point you out for the swine you are.

Btw that theory wasn't meant to be taken very seriously. By his own admission a good part of the content was meant to be satirical and created for his own self acknowledged narcissism. Although i did find it to be quite funny and caustically witty, it is still very generalised.

Peace

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Sanjay said:
So despite the fact that your friendship experiences with men/boys have been temporary and arguably non-existent at best, you're asking us to believe your dissertation that girls and guys are friends for normal and innocent reasons.
You can't say that there are not a number of girls who are friends with the opposite sex merely for the sake of having a friend.

Oh, and FYI, I was friends with guys not because I wanted something from them, but because I thought they were fun to be with. A lot of them just turned into boyfriends. So although the period of pure friendship was short, it still existed, and I'm clear of my own intentions - which were not to use them.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
fair enough Dreamerish, you called me on that one, yeah i was being cynical, i dont actually think all girls use their charm to manipulate men. My post was a pretty extreme generalisation said out of bitterness more than anything

but like there are acceptions in the ladder theory i.e the male is taken which you yourself said your friends male-friends had girlfriends...stay with me lol

but then when ladder theory does apply i.e both are single and the girl isnt heaps far down on the males ladder...then surely the girl must know he likes her
so if ladder theory does apply it comes down to three things
1. the girl is naive and is too stupid to realise what is going on
2. the girl realises he likes her, but she keeps the friendship to use him and string him along.
3. the girl realises what is going on, and is interested = relationship OR is not interested and breaks up the friendship.

i will allow one other clause and that is childhood friends. Any male-female friendship formed before puberty is clearly non sexual so ladder theory does not apply

maybe we have a different definition of friends though... what i think of as aquantances[sp?] u might think of as friends... in which case i have alot of female friends that i dont know all that well and there is no sexual tension

with your own situations rule 3 applied because you ended up going out with them. With your friends who are friends with taken males, ladder theory doesnt apply. With your friends whos male friends are not taken either one of the exceptions [ childhood friend, she is too far down on his ladder, a footstool etc] or the girl is not aware of whats going on, or the girl is manipulatiing him... or she returns the feelings or she is preparing the break off the friendship...
thats alot of ors!

no disrepsect was intended oh Queen of love and relationships

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Back in the day when I was oh so shy and what I thought was socially incompetent, I read ladder theory, but managed to take it with a grain of salt, taking it as somone's experince to put a bit of perspective into my future experiences. Now, having frequenting the whole online "seduction" (please note the sarcasm) community several years ago, and currently being midway through a psychology degree, find it difficult to see past the fact that this has no proof beside anecdotal evidence, with examples of where it fits apparently becoming proof for why it's true everywhere.

That said, it's a nice little summary of the perspective that can be taken, which might help your understanding of how the world can be if you want to look at it like that. You've gotta make your own mind up about girls. Those people who believe this "theory" (again) probably don't want to, yet their past expeiences tell them that it's more or less true, which I'd muse could become self-fulfilling if one isn't careful.

Just my 2 cents from the impression I got of ladder theory years ago. It might've been changed since (but a quick scan tells me it hasn't), or maybe my memory's dodgey. Comments still stand.

Last edited:

MajinR

Procrastination Master
HSC
i found this theory hilarious and at the same time quite true...but not at face value, like other people said its a good generalisation but hyperbolic...

i think the misconception here is that people are taking the theory too seriously and not taking things with a grain of salt or maybe a couple of grains at that :p

jdrockefeller

HSC
This ladder theory reminds me of this quote from bash.org

DragonflyBlade21: A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired.

By the way, I've jumped ladders, but it's fucking hard to do. Almost impossible.

HSC
this was a long read. i think this guy has way too much time on his hands.
i laugh, but then i read that he considers women are 99.999% bitches. i bet he's never got laid in his life.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Anyone watching the Secret Life of Us?

They just talked about the Ladder Theory!!!

Hahahahaha!!!! It's famous!!!!

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Anyone watching the Secret Life of Us?

They just talked about the Ladder Theory!!!

Hahahahaha!!!! It's famous!!!!
omg i just saw that. ahaha

hey i'm coming to port macquarie this weekend!

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
breaking said:
omg i just saw that. ahaha

hey i'm coming to port macquarie this weekend!
Just for a holiday? They're having this huge fishing thing on the weekend, so I think town will be packed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)