• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The legitimacy of depression as an illness. (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Everyone else is selfish for demanding you live and suffer for their benefit. They demand you keep living because it makes them feel better.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm not looking at it in the sense that you should live to keep others happy.

I just object to people doing it and then making people they've never met wash their brains off the pavement
Suicide booths maybe?

Nadiaaa

HSC
Yeah but there is a fundamental self-indulgence attached to it, I think.
An inability to seek help from outside and to engage sufficiently with other distracting pursuits. I mean, I know people who most certainly seem to enjoy being in such a state of self-pity. It can be a way of ensuring that the world revolves around you, while rejecting any onus on your own part to be, like, ambitious or successful at anything
That's very true.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But I doubt people are thinking "great, i'll kill myself and make everyone clean up after me! awesome!" they'd rather just die and not give a shit.
Na, there can be a distinct "this'll show 'em" element to it - like, forcing people to discover your mutilated corpse will make them realise how mistreated you were etc etc and give the whole endevour meaning

Though one of my more cherrished memories is yr10 work experience with the police force and hearing the story of how some bloke who left a suicide note saying that capitalism had made the world evil and uninhabitable etc was found dead at the bottom of a cliff...

having landed in a shopping trolley...

(the pics were less funny.
Minced meat, anyone??)

Nadiaaa

HSC
Na, there can be a distinct "this'll show 'em" element to it - like, forcing people to discover your mutilated corpse will make them realise how mistreated you were etc etc and give the whole endevour meaning

Though one of my more cherrished memories is yr10 work experience with the police force and hearing the story of how some bloke who left a suicide note saying that capitalism had made the world evil and uninhabitable etc was found dead at the bottom of a cliff...

having landed in a shopping trolley...

(the pics were less funny.
Minced meat, anyone??)
Ohh, yeah true. But everyone's different anyway.
Fcking ouch at that trolley stuff.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
no seriously, it's how i feel. I seriously think that if people want to committ suicide, that is their right.

I have serious reservations about people who do it in a way that adversely affects other people, either known to them or not. Once they're gone, they're gone. Tell that to the paramedics and the firefighters and the cops and who have to scrape these people off whatever surface they've landed on.

There are 1000 ways to kill yourself that dont involve making as much mess as possible.
Reminds me of that poor woman in Chatswood who was killed when a suicide landed on her after jumping off the top floor of Westfield, i cant be sure but i think the jumper survived. Horrible thing to happen.

Venom.

HSC
Some people have it.
Some people just need to harden the fuck up.

Truth.

People throw the word around too much. Clinical depression (most are false diagnoses) is a serious issue I guess.

I know a guy who failed his hsc three years ago, and complains about being depressed 99% of the time you talk to him. :burn:

Venom.

HSC
Yeah but there is a fundamental self-indulgence attached to it, I think.
An inability to seek help from outside and to engage sufficiently with other distracting pursuits. I mean, I know people who most certainly seem to enjoy being in such a state of self-pity. It can be a way of ensuring that the world revolves around you, while rejecting any onus on your own part to be, like, ambitious or successful at anything
Good post.

X

xeuyrawp

Psychiatry is a bullshit psuedo-science
Fuck and I thought you couldn't be any more moronic... :-/

Most psychiatrists themselves agree to many of the reasonable objections of that article. But I suppose they're all pseudo-scientists and not accredited medical practitioners or anything. But I guess GPs and all other medical doctors in Australia are also soodo-scientists...?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Truth.

People throw the word around too much. Clinical depression (most are false diagnoses) is a serious issue I guess.

I know a guy who failed his hsc three years ago, and complains about being depressed 99% of the time you talk to him. :burn:
[citation needed], though I do agree that overdiagnosis is probably a big problem.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I had depression 10 years ago, and still suffer from PTSD.

Its nothing to laugh about, i was in year 3 10 years ago and i felt so bad i wanted to crawl up into a ball, goto sleep and never wake up. There are legitimate cases of depression, and the sufferers need all the help they can get.

All the soft cocks out there claiming to have it need to harden up. They wouldnt know what it feels like until they have a legitimate case of it.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
So fuck them.
I know a girl who's boyfriend shot himself while she was in bed, she got up to find his brains splattered against the wall.
A guy here recently went out and hanged himself in an area that is frequented by families taking their kids out to motor bike ride.
I've read of train drivers who have to live off disability pensions for the rest of their lives because they've got PTSD from watching a person jump infront of their train
The wife of the principal at my old school hanged herself in her lounge room, only to be found by her school aged children, still alive. She later died from a heart attack before the paramedics arrived.

It's selfish and it impacts on more than just their families.
A guy I used to know was out shooting with his friends they all got out of the car he locked the doors, shutting himself and the keys in the car. He reached onto the backseat grabbed a shotgun lying there put it in his mouth and pulled the trigger with them all watching.

His brother did the same thing 4 weeks after the funeral.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I went through a period for the past 2-3 years where I would become inconsolably sad at random times for no reason, among a general prolonged sadness.

I still don't think it's accurate to clasify this emotional state as a real illness.
A (seemingly) simple request: define illness.

In fact, to all those who question the validity of psychiatric disorders I would be interested to see what you take the concept of illness to be.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Psychiatry is a bullshit psuedo-science, most diagnoses aren't real.

Anti-psychiatry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with most of the criticisms in this article, particular the issues about normality and illness judgements, psychiatric labelling, and the influence of the pharmaceutical industry.
As pointed out by PwarYeux, philosophically informed psychiatry is acutely aware of these issues. No doubt there is some 'fluff' out there, but it is an evolving science and there is some amazing work being done.

I've attached a couple of my favourite recent articles showing beautiful examples of applied neuroscience in psychiatry. Unfortunately it's hard to find lay-versions of this kind of research, but they should be interesting for anyone with a degree of psych / brain science literacy.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Pretty touchy subject you've started discussion on here, Tim. All discussion is healthy though I guess.

Some people seek attention, for whatever reasons, and others have a genuine chemical imbalance that causes harsh, often uncontrollable mood swings. It's a difficult one for me to comment on objectively.

Though, I am a tad perplexed on the issue of it's relevance as an illness. If depression is not an illness, what is it? Surely this isn't simply about over prescription? :/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)