The legitimacy of depression as an illness. (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
k, time for round two of the health care deregulation debate again.
Haha, I'll have to keep you waiting I'm afraid. I have only just about finished the first of the three essays I need to have completed soon. Expect some potshots some time later this evening.

HSC
Fair calls by those who responded to my emotionally charged comment about this thread. I don't withdraw it, but I can see where y'all are coming from. Reasonable come backs.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Fair calls by those who responded to my emotionally charged comment about this thread. I don't withdraw it, but I can see where y'all are coming from. Reasonable come backs.
Fair question-

It's interesting that you still strongly hold your opinion that depression arises purely from some genetic pre-disposition as opposed to complicated interactions between neurotransmitters and enivronmental stimuli (which has been well argued in last 20 posts).

Now, staying in your emotionally charged frame, I simply want to know whether it makes it easier to deal with if you place 100 percent of causation on biochemical factors?

Blaiseygirl

HSC
i recently was diagnosed with depression.
its a genetic thing, but i think the genetic impulses are triggered,
by stuff that happens in your life.
buti do believe that some people cry wolf. but they are doing it for a reason,
i hav a friend that tried to commint suicide recently.
its sent me into trauma, i cant imagine what she is feeling.
so no i dont think that its just a lets put it on.

how unhappy must someone be to take away the will to live?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
:( you should go on early morning power-walks and chuckle at everything

OOOOOOOOOoooo
I love to LAUGH da-na-na-nah
LOUD AND LONG AND CLEAR

I love to LAUGH
It's getting worse EVERY YEAR

WHEN YOU LAUGH
THE more you fill with glee
AND THE MORE THE GLEE
THE MORE I;M A MERRIER ME

Oh it's embarrasing!
THE MORE IM A MERRIER ME

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Wheeeeeeeeeeeen Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings
Stike me as funny, I cant hold it inside
and squeak
HEH
Like the squeakerlers dooooo

I"VE GOT TO LET GO
WITH A HO-HOOO-HO-HOOOOOOOO

AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

DOo!

Venetiad

HSC
If people legitimately have a case of Depression which should be medicated, then they should be seeking help for it, and it is an illness.
If people legitimately have a case of Depression which needn't be medicated, then it should be understood that this can effect them as an illness.
If people don't suffer Depression, or it's incredibly minor, let them whine and cry, their excuses only stop them from developing. Thats perfectly fine by me.

HSC
considering that depression is a medically recognised illness, the legitimacy of it is pretty solid in my book..and in all relevant books ive seen.

HSC
considering that depression is a medically recognised illness, the legitimacy of it is pretty solid in my book..and in all relevant books ive seen.
female hysteria used to be a medically recognised illness too

but you're right, we better not question anything ever

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The fact is that we're in a pretty shitty phase of human history and it is very difficult for sensitive human beings to not feel some degree of depression at the reality and outlook

HSC
female hysteria used to be a medically recognised illness too

but you're right, we better not question anything ever
Sarcastic comments that infer that I was expressing a cynical and sheltered view of life may make you feel funny, but they just replace your otherwise unintelligent and often degrading comments about the illness. I think you are missing the point that no matter what others do and say (and yes, I agree that some individuals diagnose themselves with what is often illegitmate depression), there are legitimate cases of depression in societies all over the world.

We create a thread to discuss the legitimacy of the illness, meanwhile the legitimate sufferers of depression sit back and question their own illness. I just feel that it is completely unfair that people who are suffering, and who have suffered previously with the illness, feel as though their feelings and symptoms are not real and it is all a figure of their imagination, or is an attempt at gaining attention or some of the other inferences made by others on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Sarcastic comments that infer that I was expressing a cynical and sheltered view of life may make you feel funny, but they just replace your otherwise unintelligent and often degrading comments about the illness. I think you are missing the point that no matter what others do and say (and yes, I agree that some individuals diagnose themselves with what is often illegitmate depression), there are legitimate cases of depression in societies all over the world. We create a thread to discuss the legitimacy of the illness, meanwhile the legitimate sufferers of depression sit back and question their own illness. I just feel that it is completely unfair that people who are suffering, and who have suffered previously with the illness, feel as though their feelings and symptoms are not real and it is all a figure of their imagination, or is an attempt at gaining attention or some of the other inferences made by others on this thread.
Paragraphs.

Make them your fwend.

And he had a point. The beauty of science and medicine is that we should never take everything at face value until there is unequivocal proof..
As for the rest, tl;dr.

HSC
Paragraphs.

Make them your fwend.

And he had a point. The beauty of science and medicine is that we should never take everything at face value until there is unequivocal proof..
As for the rest, tl;dr.
Paragraph = topic sentence + 3-5 proceeding sentences (tick!)

RE: "fwends" << very mature.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Paragraph = topic sentence + 3-5 proceeding sentences (tick!)

RE: "fwends" << very mature.
I have a short attention span and I can't read things that aren't in dot point. Walls of text depress me, it's a medical condition and I can't help it.

But seriously, there was nothing of offense to be taken in the post. We accept a lot of things on face value without questioning them, because we believe medicine and science to be absolute. A lot of mistakes have to be made before we reach the truth.

Depression, unfortunately, is maligned by the fact that people cry wolf - you have to believe a person has depression unless you've got something quantifiable to prove otherwise. You might not believe them - you might have reason to believe they're not depressed, but it's not something we can see physically or quantify idk. And I don't think it's right to ever come out and say 'you're full of shit', unless you're qualified to do so.

But I don't think that questioning the legitimacy of depression in some cases is grounds for people with depression to question their own. It's not the "depression" part itself that is being questioned, it's the legitimacy of the frequency at which people claim to have it.

HSC
Reasonable point. That needs to be made clear. Depression as an illness is not being questioned.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'd hope anyone with a legitimate diagnosis of depression would know that their condition is real and they should listen to their doctor and ignore morons in the community or this thread.

People with depression; stop being so insecure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)