• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
pretty much. he was a despicable person, despite his talent as a footballer. i don't see why the hero worship exists for him.
Unless you commit a nasty/widespread crime, if you did something good or well, you're more likely going to get a good response. And on the pitch, he did do well.

Arsenal are second but Man Utd have a game in hand, and could leapfrog them. Wigan are coming to their blip. And Liverpool are on a roll - and with the many early pace-setters losing momentum, they could well secure 4th place by the end of the season (if they find a goalscorer and have a few new faces).

nedzelic

HSC
i'm glad to see that some clubs gave the old fucking delapatded hack drunkard the sending off he deserved - booing. man city and liverpool fans as well as the leeds game vs milwall which i was listening to, gave the old cunt the two fingered salute. good ridance to the old piss head tosser who deprived some good person of a liver
fuck you georgie best....he could play football though couldn't he

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
I was not sad at the news of george bests death, neither did I have a lot of sympathy for him, but calling him "despicable" human, a cunt, et cetera is very harsh. Have some respect. On most accounts he was a well mannered, honest and decent person. He more or less killed himself but that is how he wanted to live his life, and rather than feeling sorry for himself or blame it on others, he accepted his death as his fault. It was nice to see a minute of silence for him at Celtic Park. RIP George Best

Not the fucking result tho. Sutton, Hartson, Camara, Bobo and Thommo may as well have not played, and its a sad day when Telfer is your best on field. I still cant believe we lost to a team that had lost seven on the trot. I hope to see Hibs beat the blue nosed fucks and keep the gap at 15. The three horse race (Celtic Hibs and Hearts :p) is intensifying.

Jimmy_B

HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
I was not sad at the news of george bests death, neither did I have a lot of sympathy for him, but calling him "despicable" human, a cunt, et cetera is very harsh. Have some respect. On most accounts he was a well mannered, honest and decent person.
substance abuser,wife beater, racist? he was a cunt and just because he is dead doesnt make him any less so. and being arguably britains most talented player ever doesnt change it either. he fucked himself up, took a donated liver from someone and decided to spend his second chance at life on the pisser.

from all the coverage his death has been receiving you'd think princess di had died again. i don't see how i was being harsh on him or why i should respect him either.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
No one deniez Bestz alcohol problem, and everyone will admit that hez a fool fo spoilin hiz second chance at life. But everyone respected him fo what he did on the field. Itz not fair to simply judge him like that, he deserved better.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Jimmy_B said:
substance abuser,wife beater, racist? he was a cunt and just because he is dead doesnt make him any less so. and being arguably britains most talented player ever doesnt change it either. he fucked himself up, took a donated liver from someone and decided to spend his second chance at life on the pisser.

from all the coverage his death has been receiving you'd think princess di had died again. i don't see how i was being harsh on him or why i should respect him either.

Many have made mistakes in their life, Im sure Best wasnt alone. Does being an alcoholic make you a cunt? People make mistakes. And as for taking a liver off someone else, check the story. Apparently he was the only person suitable for the transplant in Britain at the time. Ive said I dont feel sympathy for him for not making the most of his second life. Yeah, Im surprised by the level of coverage in Australia of his death, but the man was worshipped in Britain. I thought the word "despicable" was harsh, as many who knew him felt he was a wonderful person.

Oh, and Rangers lost to Hibs. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I tend to disagree with people who think the media have blown his death out of proportion on the basis that he wasn't the best 'role model'. The media doesn't care if you were a good person, the media cares if you have a good story. George Best had the very best of stories: a tragic hero god blessed with not only a talent on the field that transcended club and country rivalries, but also good looks and charm off it to waltz from the bed of one Miss World to another's- all the while battling his inner demons. His trade was football, but his life was that of a rock star. The sheer enormity of his presence on and off the field made him as much of an icon of the 60s to the footballing world as The Beatles or Woodstock. Just as the world had mourned the death of John Lennon and George Harrison, the footballing world mourned the death of Georgie Best. Not so surprising really.

As for all those who'd pass judgment on the recently deceased, give the guy a break for god's sake. It needs to be acknowledged that alcoholism is a disease, and George Best probably did his best to fight it. In the end, his will power wasn't enough, but nevertheless on the hour of his pass he doesn't deserve such crucifixion.

Last edited:

Diddimz

HSC
How he lived his life off the pitch was up to him, he lived a life anyman would dream of, being one of the greatest footballers of all time, sleeping with supermodels, drinking his life away, getting a new liver and then going and doing it all over again. I dont know anyone who wouldnt trade their own lot in for the chance to live his life. He should be remembered for what he accomplished on the pitch not off it.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
W00t! Bolton goes down to Fulham, which means Liverpool will go to 4th if we beat Sunderland midweek. Finally!

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Theres about 50 George Best quotes that are in that mould, Benny, and most of them are gold. Just to kick start debate: who do you think has been the greatest player ever? Its hard for us that never got to see the likes of Pele, George Best and co. play, but from the stories, the legends and footage we've seen, who would come out best?

i havent yet decided my order, but heres some nominations:

Gerd Muller
Garrincha
Pele
Maradona
Lev Yashin
Franz Beckenbauer
Platini
Johan Cruyff
Best
Eusebio
Di Stefano
Roberto Baggio
and many more.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Van Basten should be up there somewhere. I think Ronaldo and Zidane are pretty close. If you're going to include Baggio, the likes of Zidane, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho should probably be there as well.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Yeah, Zidane and Ronaldo deserve to be there, and perhaps after next june, ronaldinho may cement his spot.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Effective comeback from MU at Upton Park this morning. Didn't watch the whole match but of what I did see, Rooney was yet again on fire, actually enough for Sir Fergie to label him the most talented youngster he's worked with. Plus, it was oddly-funny watching the Ferdinand brothers do the marking job on each other at set-pieces, do wonder if Anton will follow the likes of Lampard; Joe Cole; Ferdinand; etc. from the Hammer's Academy and go on to become a top-notch footballer.

Barca. are just steaming ahead, another 4-goal haul at the Nou Camp this morning.

.ps. Villa made it back-to-back victories on the weekend, their first in 12 months.

Ilija

Swinger
HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Theres about 50 George Best quotes that are in that mould, Benny, and most of them are gold. Just to kick start debate: who do you think has been the greatest player ever? Its hard for us that never got to see the likes of Pele, George Best and co. play, but from the stories, the legends and footage we've seen, who would come out best?

Gerd Muller
Garrincha
Pele
Maradona
Lev Yashin
Franz Beckenbauer
Platini
Johan Cruyff
Best
Eusebio
Di Stefano
Roberto Baggio
and many more.

Maradona minus drugs

Beckenbauer was great too.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Paolo Maldini

He's played at the top for more years than most of us have lived, and in this day and age - that's rare.

(As they say, defenders don't get much recognition.)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Ronaldinho iz definitely up there wit the best of the best, witout a doubt.

Great win by United thiz mornin, after goin behind in the first min through a textbook counter attack by West Ham. Rooney again waz the main man, but ball possession ultimately paid dividendz az the hammerz tired and got overrun in the second half. Park also performed well, maybe Ronaldo haz to learn how to pass first befo Fergie will consider him startin in the future.

Glenn198718

saw the goal that west ham scored wasnt too bad at all good counter attack play but after that i was really interested in the game so i turned it off. Christiano Ronaldo dont rate him as a player at all needs to learn how to pass and not hog the ball all the time. he also falls down to easy to get free kicks.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:

Gerd Muller
Garrincha
Pele
Maradona
Lev Yashin
Franz Beckenbauer
Platini
Johan Cruyff
Best
Eusebio
Di Stefano
Roberto Baggio
and many more.
what about Ferenc Puskás ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)