The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The top four places look about right. It's really a matter now of who can get the last automatic qualification place. I reckon, if anything: Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.

I'm surprised Charlton has run out of steam already, they usually crash after the New Year. As for the UEFA Cup place, it's probably going to be Tottenham or Bolton. I'd prefer to see Tottenham in Europe because they have a decent sized squad of young talent so it would do wonders to get some more game time and experience.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
nedzelic said:
are sunderland the worst team ever in the epl? they are rivaled probably only by their previous attempt two years ago. fuck they really are woeful. i no they have a few players out like arca and watson and that but fuck, really, they are absolute shite. i mean, the players they brought in this seaosn were from reserves and league one clubs!!???? wtf fuck is that?
They are quite shit, yes. Stats taken from the BBC website prior to today's game:

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

SUNDERLAND
Club stats
Fixtures
20th 5 points
Highest achievable: STILL BOTTOM
but reduce the gap at the foot to one point
Lowest could fall: STAY AT THE FOOT
still four points adrift.

# Lost the last seven in all competitions.
# On the longest current losing run in the Premiership (six matches).
# Picked up one win in 34 top flight outings.
# Lost 26 of the last 29 Premiership matches.
# Been beaten in 20 of 23 top flight engagements under Mick McCarthy, winning just one.
# Claimed five Premiership points from a possible 69 under McCarthy.
# Made their worst ever start to a Premier League season. The previous lowest after 14 games was 14 points in 2002/03 when last relegated from the top tier.
# Lost one Carling Cup tie, six League games and drawn one Premiership fixture since winning 0-2 at Middlesbrough on 25 September.
# Only club with just one Premiership victory to their name this season.
# Lost more top tier matches than any other club (11 of 14).
# Dropped more Premiership points than any other club (37), claiming five from a possible 42.
# Lost 29 of the last 33 top League clashes.
# Own the weakest defence in the top table - 28 goals conceded in 14 games, exactly two per game.
# Gone 48 Premier League and Championship games since a goalless draw (home to Derby on 2 October 2004).
# Kept only one clean sheet in 29 Premiership matches (the 0-2 win at Middlesbrough on 25 September).
# Failed to score in four League games this term.
# Lost all 10 games after conceding the opening goal.
# Last club to notch a clean sheet in the Premiership this season (v Middlesbrough), but the only club with just one shut-out so far.

# Notched only two points at the Stadium of Light this season.
# One of three clubs still without a home Premiership victory. The others are fellow bottom three Portsmouth and Birmingham.
# Recorded two draws and six defeats in eight home League games this term.
# Yet to keep a clean sheet in a home League game.
# Scored just seven goals in eight home League outings.
# Failed to score against Birmingham on Saturday, but netted one goal in each of the other seven home League games this term.
# Found the net in two of the last three home League games, but both were Dean Whitehead penalties. Stephen Elliott was the last player to net from open play at the Stadium of Light (against Manchester United on 15 October).
# Own the weakest defence in home Premiership matches (conceded 18 in eight, averaging 2.25 per game).

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Benny_ said:
They are quite shit, yes. Stats taken from the BBC website prior to today's game:

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

SUNDERLAND
Club stats
Fixtures
20th 5 points
Highest achievable: STILL BOTTOM
but reduce the gap at the foot to one point
Lowest could fall: STAY AT THE FOOT
still four points adrift.

# Lost the last seven in all competitions.
# On the longest current losing run in the Premiership (six matches).
# Picked up one win in 34 top flight outings.
# Lost 26 of the last 29 Premiership matches.
# Been beaten in 20 of 23 top flight engagements under Mick McCarthy, winning just one.
# Claimed five Premiership points from a possible 69 under McCarthy.
# Made their worst ever start to a Premier League season. The previous lowest after 14 games was 14 points in 2002/03 when last relegated from the top tier.
# Lost one Carling Cup tie, six League games and drawn one Premiership fixture since winning 0-2 at Middlesbrough on 25 September.
# Only club with just one Premiership victory to their name this season.
# Lost more top tier matches than any other club (11 of 14).
# Dropped more Premiership points than any other club (37), claiming five from a possible 42.
# Lost 29 of the last 33 top League clashes.
# Own the weakest defence in the top table - 28 goals conceded in 14 games, exactly two per game.
# Gone 48 Premier League and Championship games since a goalless draw (home to Derby on 2 October 2004).
# Kept only one clean sheet in 29 Premiership matches (the 0-2 win at Middlesbrough on 25 September).
# Failed to score in four League games this term.
# Lost all 10 games after conceding the opening goal.
# Last club to notch a clean sheet in the Premiership this season (v Middlesbrough), but the only club with just one shut-out so far.

# Notched only two points at the Stadium of Light this season.
# One of three clubs still without a home Premiership victory. The others are fellow bottom three Portsmouth and Birmingham.
# Recorded two draws and six defeats in eight home League games this term.
# Yet to keep a clean sheet in a home League game.
# Scored just seven goals in eight home League outings.
# Failed to score against Birmingham on Saturday, but netted one goal in each of the other seven home League games this term.
# Found the net in two of the last three home League games, but both were Dean Whitehead penalties. Stephen Elliott was the last player to net from open play at the Stadium of Light (against Manchester United on 15 October).
# Own the weakest defence in home Premiership matches (conceded 18 in eight, averaging 2.25 per game).
* Draws breath. *

I wanna see their pass completion rate. :rolleyes:
Still no goal for Crouchy, 1,429 mins. now, and got replaced by Traore of all people.

Everton have denied Timmy Cahill's violent conduct charge. If appeal fails to get through, he'll end up missing matches against Blackburn; MU; and the Hammers. Friggin' Celestine.

FIFA World Player of the Year Shortlist:
Ronnie
Lampard
Eto'o

FIFA World Player of the Year Shortlist: (Women)
Birgit Prinz (Germany)
Marta (Brasil)
Shannon Boxx (USA)

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
Didn't Cahill throw the first punch?

And how is fat frank one the three best players in the world? Sheva anyone?

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Benny_ said:
Anyway, Liverpool move up to 4th with an easy win over a shitty team. Top stuff. I'd say the table's looking a lot closer to how things will finish at the end of the season now, except Wigan will probably be slipping a further couple of places down the table and Middlesbrough a couple of places up... Souness for the guillotine before the season finishes. Can't believe how poorly he's doing with such a fantastic squad.

I just found that Arsenal's home record is the best in the league, but playing away they've only managed a single win. With a tricky match at the Reebok stadium this weekend, I think Liverpool can look forward to moving to 3rd.
Yep another good win from the lads on the road, Xabi comes straight back into the team and sets up both goals...great stuff :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Have you seen the goals yet? The vision from Xabi is literally supernatural. From his position, it would've been very difficult if not impossible to see where Garcia was. I can only assume that it was a well rehearsed move in the training ground.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
RyddeckerSMP said:

And how is fat frank one the three best players in the world? Sheva anyone?
There is no way Sheva deserves to be in the top three this year.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Benny_ said:
Have you seen the goals yet? The vision from Xabi is literally supernatural. From his position, it would've been very difficult if not impossible to see where Garcia was. I can only assume that it was a well rehearsed move in the training ground.
Nah not yet mate, dont hav cable so i gotta wait till TWS tonite...lookin forward to seeing Xabi in action. :)

EDIT: Just saw the highlights, wow Alonso had his back to Garcia yet still managed to get a pinpoint pass to him...he's all class this fella :uhhuh:

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
23 goals and 16 assists in all competitions says Lampard was a worthy top 3 candidate for the best player of the year.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Shit, people here are harsh on Lampard and Gerrard. Gerrard wasnt the most consistent player, but being the best player in a European winning team should get him some points. When Gerrard has a bad game, its more noticable coz there is noone to pick up his role in the midfield, whereas Makelelelelelelelelelele and others replace Lamps when hes not on the best of form. And look at the talent that picks up when Ronnie is not at his best.

So its Eto'o, Ronnie and Lamps? I think they got it very right.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
What an emotional night at Old Trafford, everyone waz singing Bestz name and by the time Brom scored the stadium waz already in full concert mode. Nice to see Saha get back on the scoresheet, he needed that break. Park again shined in midfield, Fergie should use him mo often, replace Fletcher perhapz...?

HSC
In news not related to Keane, Best or how tall, inaccurate or unco P. Crouch is - Milan have announced that they are to sign Uruguyan Diego Lugano for a steal @ £2.7m.

As much as I hate Milan and as much as I am still annoyed that the Socceroos had to face play a football match against the Uruguyan diving team, it is one hell of a signing! :p

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
looking back at the game, Lugan0 was the best player Uruguay on the night, he had an awesome game. He really put Duke off and shut down many attacks. If he was out for that match like the first leg, it wouldnt have went to penalties, Australia would have won 2 or 3 to nil.

For only 2.3mil? Shit, why didnt Gordie hear about this, we woulda taken him in a heartbeat! Nah, seriously, i think he was a madrid target as well. This isnt just a bargain, its proof that south american clubs get ripped off by the europeans.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Damn Milan, they alwayz seem to get the best purchasez of all Italian clubz. Real Madrid iz a defenderz grave, get a Mourinho and start playin borin football first.

Diddimz

HSC
Villa lost to Doncaster, cant say it surprises me, and newcastles loss to wigans reserve team (or close enough) FFS get rid of souness now!!! he is destroying the club, blaming injuries can only last so long.
are sunderland the worst team ever in the epl? they are rivaled probably only by their previous attempt two years ago. fuck they really are woeful. i no they have a few players out like arca and watson and that but fuck, really, they are absolute shite. i mean, the players they brought in this seaosn were from reserves and league one clubs!!???? wtf fuck is that?
yes, yes they are :cool:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Real really isn't a graveyard for defenders. Hierro/Helg. were just fine so long as Maka did most of the defending. It's just when Maka left, and so did Hierro, that there wasn't anyone doing the defending (Beck/Guti?), so Pavon (their reserve guy) comes in and Helg, so there isn't a leader in the defence. They get Walter in, but with Beck/Guti in the middle, Walter and co. still need to do the defending themselves, and he isn't use to it. Finally when they get Gravesen, he thinks that he can do more than just play the holding role. So they get Garcia and Ramos. I forgot about Woody - he's always out injuried so doesn't matter. The problem is - they galac. are aging so fast, and they can longer single-handed win games without the defence holding up.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
RyddeckerSMP said:
Nope, from what I saw I’d say he retaliated. Nevertheless he has been found guilty and effectively misses the Toffee’s next three fixtures.

Benny_ said:
:uhhuh: Wow, those through balls from Xabi were sheer class, especially the first one. Like you said, it probably was a rehearsed training ground routine, not a bad finish either from Garcia.

bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
For only 2.3mil? Shit, why didnt Gordie hear about this, we woulda taken him in a heartbeat! Nah, seriously, i think he was a madrid target as well. This isnt just a bargain, its proof that south american clubs get ripped off by the europeans.
Haha Lugano, some journalist (bloke) described him as a “sweet, handsome, surfer lookalike". By that measure, he'd be at home in trendy Milan. Btw, he was a Sevilla target as well, to replace Sergio Ramos. Atleast, fixtures permitting, he might have another crack at the Aussies at the World Club Championships in December. :D

> L'pool have kept 7 successive clean-sheets now, their record I believe stands at 10. Ironically, it was their championship winning season of 87/88. Plus, this is the highest league position they have held during Rafa's 18-month reign. Playing mighty Wigan this weekend.

> Jol has ruled out drafting a fill-in striker for Mido when he leaves for the African Cup in January. Instead, he is trying to make arrangements with Egyptian officials to fly him back to England for some of the mathces, and, to release him just days before the Cup gets underway, thereby missing the fortnight camp leading up to the tourney.

Last edited:

nedzelic

HSC
yeah, with real, it's not rocket science. they have no midfield. think about the last time they won - they had makelele. an and also they may have played consciecao or helgeurra in there. now, they play beckham *coughs* and well, what can you expect. just fucking get gravesen in there and tell him to sit. the rest will come

nedzelic

HSC
hey celtic hoops boy, you know who my favourite player of all time is

Mo Johnston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)