The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Bolton are the latest club to take a look at Australian whizz-kid Panos Armenakas.
Some seven year old wonderkid, already had a session at Barca.

johnny_87

HSC
If I was to play 3 at the back, I'd play:

Rio Terry Campbell
King (like Makelele for Chelsea)
Gerrard Carrick/Parker Cole/SWP
Lampard
Rooney Owen

OR (more likely)

King Terry Rio Cole
Carrick/Parker (like Makelele)
Gerrard Carrick/Parker Cole/SWP
Lampard
Rooney Owen

Depending on form, I'd have 2 of : Beckham, Nolan, Dyer and Jenas on the bench.
Carragher/Neville for the defender, Defoe as striker and possibly James (is there anyone better?)

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
bj_Bhoy 87 said:
My English lineup would be:

Robinson
Ferdinand Terry Campbell
Becks Lampard Gerrard Cole
SWP
Rooney Owen

Risky, i know, but i'll explain my decision later...
Move over Rainieri, the bj is the new Tinkerman :p

A. On current form Rio is the worst of England's defenders, I can say without any bias that Carragher deserves the place more.

B. Your lineup, imo, wastes at least 2 of England's 3 best players- Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney.

Gerrard/Lampard- Thus far they've been a pretty poor CM pairing, as they haven't been able to sort their respective roles in the team. But the fact is, even if they have their roles sorted out, The DM's potential will still be wasted. I think it'd be better to use one as a mid 1/2 half substitute. Probably Gerrard, as he's the better player at running at defenders. Anyway, Lampard is essentially a playmaker-come-striker as well. What I'd like like to see more though, is Lampard pushed forward into an advanced position and Becks dropped to the bench. See explanation at the bottom.

Rooney- Huge waste as a traditional no.10. Give him license to roam and England will reap far greater rewards. On the evidence of the past 2 seasons, he's more of a playmaker than a forward anyway.

C. When Downing gets back from injury I'd like to see him have a run starting at LM. Good a player as Cole is, he tends to cut in and hence doesn't give the team the same width a real winger would.

D. I like the idea of playing 3 CBs, but I don't think it's really wise to play both Terry and Campbell. Both have exceptional positional awareness and are peerless in the air, but both are exceptionally slow. Teams that play with genuine, top quality wingers like Spain and Holland would give that back 3 a lot of headaches. I'd just have Terry, with King and Carragher on either side. When Ferdinand regains his form, and when (if) Woodgate ever gets any prolonged run without hurting himself, they might be interchangeable for Carra and/or King. It's really amazing how much depth they have in defense though. With how many other countries can you just trot out world class defender after world class defender like that. Oh and Gary Neville would do a nice job on the right side of that trio as well.

My England XI

-----------------------------------Robinson
------------------Carragher---------Terry-----------King
SWP-------------Gerrard-----------P.Neville/Reo-coker----------------Downing
----------------------Rooney------------------Lampard
------------------------------Owen/Defoe

Bench: Beckham, Kirkland, Cole, Hargreaves, Ferdinand, A. Cole

* I would drop Beckham for 2 reasons. Firstly, he's not really the most intelligent or the most inspirational of captains. Unlike Beckenbauer, he doesn't have the tactical awareness to martial his troops around the field, and unlike Roy Keane, he isn't involved enough in the action to lift his teammates. His only comparison to Keane is his propensity to get into fights, in most cases needless ones. When the pressure's on, you can't even count on him to cooly and reassuringly perform his duties (e.g. Turkey, Portugal last year). In this respect, Gerrard, Terry, Campbell and even Ferdinand (when in form), are far better choices. I'd go with Gerrard, not entirely becaused I'm biased either. -Istanbul didn't take place that long ago.

More importantly, Beckham unbalances the England team. Playing him means not playing a superb traditional RW in Wright-Phillips, moreover, it also means not playing a professional DM. I know England isn't blessed with the best selection of DMs at the moment, but Reo-Coker is developing nicely, and when called upon 2 seasons ago, Phil Neville was excellent for United in the same position. King played beautifully in that position for England recently as well. The value of a good DM cannot be understated. By playing King/Reo-Coker/Neville in this position, you'd essentially be freeing up Gerrard, Lampard and Wright-Phillips to do their thing.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me johnny. Parker would be a good choice for DM as well.

/end endless ramblings.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I actually like the 4-5-1, with:

'keeper

Back Four

Pivot/Holding person
RW-Gerrard-Lamps-LW

Rooney

Defenders as already mentioned (don't like back three, because against wingers, and an attacking central midfielder, it could be really be bad).

Anyone can babysit the defense - Parker, Carrick or King would do fine.
Give Gerrard and Lamps free roles - they work hard enough anyway, so it's not like their going to stand around.
Keep the wide-men wide, because Gerrard and Lamp with Rooney up front means they'll have enough centrally.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

HSC
Already gave my 2c on England a while back. Still believe it. Can't be bothered repeating the rant. And Sven has until 2008 on his contract I think?? Might be wrong though...

Anyways Boys - it's been great discussing football with you all the last couple of months but alas, I believe it's time to move on.

Keep talking tactics and reading games - nothing better in football than appreciating a beautiful combination/partnership/teamwork or forming opinions on it (whether for or against - as long as you have a valid reason).

FINALLY - JUST LIKE TO SAY THAT I AM AND ALWAYS WILL BE:

RED AND HELLLL PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 :D :D

COME ON MY ANFIELD MEN!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Chao.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
heres some happy news for you b4 u leave curtesy of International Federation of Football History & Statistics..:D

http://www.iffhs.de/main/ranking/clubweltrangliste/?sprache=englisch

that is if you can ignore what an absolute joke the rankings are... inter above milan and juve, barce behind them champions AZ Alkmaar and Shakhtjor Donetsk... and y the hell should roman pour all the money into chelsea if cska moscow is doing much better

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
All the best Diana, i'll miss ur long, rambling posts...c u on msn :)

Constip8edSkunk said:
heres some happy news for you b4 u leave curtesy of International Federation of Football History & Statistics..:D

http://www.iffhs.de/main/ranking/clubweltrangliste/?sprache=englisch

that is if you can ignore what an absolute joke the rankings are... inter above milan and juve, barce behind them champions AZ Alkmaar and Shakhtjor Donetsk... and y the hell should roman pour all the money into chelsea if cska moscow is doing much better
Liverpool FC #1...things seem to be in order here :cool:

In other news, David Seaman finally got a haircut

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
aw no..another one bites the dust

i suppose i might see you on msn, i'll pop up whenever we win :eek:

considering we're No. 1 :cool:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Crazy Horse said:
Anyways Boys - it's been great discussing football with you all the last couple of months but alas, I believe it's time to move on.
Thanks for your many informed and entertaining contributions to this thread...not to mention all the Ronaldo v Xabi Alonso and Liverpool v Man Utd arguments that we have had :) . You too will be greatly missed. Hopefully you will still come back here to see how things are going every once in a while like I do...but if not, I'll chat to you on msn :) .

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Goodbye, Diana! I dont think this thread will be the same without your essays. jeez, I was considering leaving as well but i think I might stay. Just for the football though. :)

Jimmy_B

HSC
thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone. was very stoned and drunk, had a blast.

can't believe it, first hectic, now diana.

all the best woman!!!

matt seems to be back somewhat though....

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
LMF^^ said:
I'm surprised you didn't say anythin after beatin Rangerz in the Cup.
Hehe, I decided to change my sig in celebration instead. I thought that post shouldnt be tinted about football talk, just for farewells. 2-0 to the bhoys, Alex Mcleish will be gone by the end of january, if not sooner. If Celtic win the next derby, it means the Wobblies are 15 points behind the lead.

Oh, and it was interesting to see Celtic ranked 27th in those rankings. Not entirely sure if its flattering, just or not strong enough, but at least it is good to see Rangers at 49 :) I doint think anyone should read too much into any rankings anyway, even the international ones. When USA make the top 10 you know how corrupt the rankings are.

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I wouldn't say the rankings are corrupt, just not accurate enough. They're giving too many points to teams in crap leagues

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Oh, and heres some goss:

Gianluca Vialli, the former Chelsea manager, could be the new director of football at Hearts.

Michael Ballack could snub Man Utd as he says Champions League success is more important than money in his search for a new club, but Lucien Aubey, the Toulouse defender, says Man Utd are one of three clubs he would play for, as well as Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan.

West Brom could sign Republic of Ireland midfielder Matt Holland from Charlton as a short-term fix.

Marcel Desailly's return to Europe from Qatar has prompted speculation he could join Portsmouth.

Man Utd could offer Louis Saha to Deportivo La Coruna as part-exchange for midfielder Aldo Duscher, who has a £8m price-tag.

Hernan Crespo has attempted to patch up his differences with Chelsea, saying an injury forced him to miss last week's trip to Real Betis.

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is pondering a bid for Aston Villa left-back Jlloyd Samuel.

Chelsea face competition from Real Madrid and Barcelona to sign Argentine midfielder Gago, who is valued at £10m by Boca Juniors.

Birmingham will make a move for Sheffield United midfielder Phil Jagielka in January. The Blades are in some real form and look good for promotion but this loss could dent their chances.

Wigan defender Pascal Chimbonda's renegotiated contract is worth £2m over three years.

Blackburn have given a week's trial to Polish defender Antoni Lukasiewicz believing he could cost just £200,000 from Polonia Warsaw.

Rangers chairman David Murray will decide in the next 48 hours when to ask Alex McLeish to step down as manager.

Bookmakers believe George Burley is battling Terry Butcher and Ottmar Hitzfeld to replace Alex McLeish

Rio Ferdinand and not Sol Campbell will partner John Terry in central defence when England take on Argentina on Saturday.

Ruud van Nistelrooy is another possible injury absentee for Manchester United after suffering a rib problem while training with Holland.

Tottenham have taken two teenage Ghanaians - striker Opoku Agyemang and midfielder Wakaso Mubarek - on trial until next week.

Oh, and one that I think is absolutely hilarious:
Madame Tussauds has chosen to make a waxwork of Jose Mourinho instead of Sir Alex Ferguson - because more women fancy the Chelsea manager.

Goodnight folks, Im going out to party :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)