The Pill (1 Viewer)

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Born Dancer said:
or you could go to a reliable doctor :/
well i would've expected that most doctors were reliable enough to give you good advice on things like pills.
i went to a polyclinic initially caus they bulk billed and were easier than our "family doctor" (who i havent been to in forever) to get an appointment. this time i went to a walk-in service and i must've been really lucky caus the doctor who was on is actually really interested in things like women's hormones

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
alby said:
well i would've expected that most doctors were reliable enough to give you good advice on things like pills.
i went to a polyclinic initially caus they bulk billed and were easier than our "family doctor" (who i havent been to in forever) to get an appointment. this time i went to a walk-in service and i must've been really lucky caus the doctor who was on is actually really interested in things like women's hormones
It's becasue he was going to have a sex change and had researched hormones.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
wheres this walk in service? usually i just go to the medical centre on crown st[right near subway] never really had any problems there and they bulk bill.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Serius said:
wheres this walk in service? usually i just go to the medical centre on crown st[right near subway] never really had any problems there and they bulk bill.
Do they know a lot about the pill?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
maybe, but thats not why i usually go there. I might go on some sort of hormone pill soon though, cause my pimples have got out of control hence the asking

SweetSeasons

HSC
Hey guys.. when I was on the pill it made me really depressed and everything, I'm n this thing called the Nuva Ring now, which is also a hormonal contraceptive but you insert it in your vagina like a tampon, n the hormones relase slowly through the 3 weeks then u take it out again for your new cycle to begin. It's really really great, I don't even get PMS any more, my skins never been better and I've never been so regular, even on the pill i was never regular..

it's pretty expensive.. like 80 bucks for 3 months, but it's just as effective as the pill with less side effects. I highly recommend it for people who have trouble with the pill.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Serius said:
its on the highway in corrimal, just north of woolies..its part of the pharmacy. its pretty new, i didnt know about it until the polyclinic told me to go there caus i needed an appointment that day. there's 3 pages of stuff to fill out as a new patient, but it was worth it for me

//Niix//

HSC
N/A
im on the pill, and ive never experienced any side effects!! and i dnt use a

condom as well as taking the pill, as far as im concerned that just ruins the

point of taking it! it really effective, as long as u know ur partner isnt

infested with any STI's then theres no need 2 worry bout that!!

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
melsc said:
What time do people find to be the best in terms of minimising side effects and making sure you remember (or are able to take the pill consistantly at that time)?
I've heard it is better taken with food and am thinking about doing it with breakfast the only thing is I dont wake up at the same time everyday, occasionally I sleep in.
im not sure there is a way to minimise side effects as such.. some people react, some dont.

in terms of time taking it, i have never heard that taking it with food is better, though i guess it would make sense in terms of absorbency. I take mine at 11:30pm, because i normally go to bed around this time, and i dont have a consistent time for when i wake up.

sleeping in shouldnt be a huge problem, as long as each time you take your pill is generally around the same time. so for what i understand, you could take it inbetween the hours of say 10 and 12 each day, and the effectiveness shouldnt be altered.

It's more of a concern if you are changing your pill taking times from day to night / vice versa.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Taking the pill with or without food does not change its effect. Medicines that require food to be taken with them, as I understand it, are those that can cause nausea and stomach upset if food is not taken to, um, dilute it. Or so my experience with malaria tablets told me.

There is also a 12-hour window in which to take the pill. Don't worry if you take it a few hours late :)

*Buttercup*

HSC
melsc said:
I have a question about starting levlen ED. In the info in the packet it says to start on the first day of your period in the RED section on the day that corresponds with the day you started bleeding. I noticed in the red section of the packs Monday - Friday are sugar pills and SAT and SUN are active pills. So If I end up with my period on a sat or sun is it ok to take those active pills because thats what it says because if I started on a monday i would be taking 5 sugar pills. Am I reading the info right?

This pic i found on this website should show the layout of the pills

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ttachments/help-pill/14104/1.jpg?d=1163276903
Yeah, that sounds the same as my pill and yeah, if your period starts on a sat or sun u take the active pills. That might make ur first period quite short but after one or two cycles it should sort itself out.

rozymisty

HSC
Im on that too, but I dont normally take it according to th dates stated. For example if i want to start a period on a certain day, say Wednesday and I want to end it the next Wed, i normally just take the white sat and sun pills on mon and tues, adn then start the normal monday one in the red area and just follow it normally, just not worrying about going on it according to the day

otherwise, u could like ah skip a few active ones and then go to the white pills, if that makes sense?

I sometimes take a longer time than normal to get the pill just for conveneice

Thats the beauty of going on teh pill, u dont have to start on a saturday. You may for some reason only want to have a 2 wk break and get a period on the 3rd row. But then again i find that it may take a few days of not taking the active ones before i get a period, and then when i want to stop and take teh aftive ones, sometimes the period will just continue on and stop by itself rather than from the pill, whcih is why im not really satisfied with the pill. But then again i dont normally take teh sugar ones, coz i dont see how they start it, since they are just sugar and no hormone to start the period off.

*Buttercup*

HSC
rozymisty said:
Im on that too, but I dont normally take it according to th dates stated. For example if i want to start a period on a certain day, say Wednesday and I want to end it the next Wed, i normally just take the white sat and sun pills on mon and tues, adn then start the normal monday one in the red area and just follow it normally, just not worrying about going on it according to the day

otherwise, u could like ah skip a few active ones and then go to the white pills, if that makes sense?

I sometimes take a longer time than normal to get the pill just for conveneice

Thats the beauty of going on teh pill, u dont have to start on a saturday. You may for some reason only want to have a 2 wk break and get a period on the 3rd row. But then again i find that it may take a few days of not taking the active ones before i get a period, and then when i want to stop and take teh aftive ones, sometimes the period will just continue on and stop by itself rather than from the pill, whcih is why im not really satisfied with the pill. But then again i dont normally take teh sugar ones, coz i dont see how they start it, since they are just sugar and no hormone to start the period off.
The sugar ones don't start it, they're just placebo, so if u dont take them it doesnt matter - they're only there because most people find it easier to have something to take every day. your period starts because u arent getting the extra hormones. It's SUPPOSED to take a few days for ur period to start after u start the sugar pills - that's why the first few sugar pills aren't in the red section, and the last few in the red section are active. It takes a few days from when u start taking the active pills for ur period to stop. So you can't just take the white ones randomly and expect your period to start that day...

rozymisty

HSC
well the past few months, when ive actually had one, the bleeding has gone on for a lot longer than expected, even if i am taking the active ones...quite annoying.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Question, if you guys remember how long did the side-effects take to show up?
I know things like weight gain wouldn't be instant but what about nausea, dizziness etc...first day, first few or later on? I've started today and wondering how things will go.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
It'll be fairly immediate, the serious ones.

Thrush symptoms may not appear for quite some time.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
melsc said:
What time do people find to be the best in terms of minimising side effects and making sure you remember (or are able to take the pill consistantly at that time)?
I've heard it is better taken with food and am thinking about doing it with breakfast the only thing is I dont wake up at the same time everyday, occasionally I sleep in.
i've started taking mine at night time now for that reason, because i can never take it at the same time due to different times i get up (and amount of time it takes me to remember haha) but now i keep thinking 'AH! haven't taken pill!' but it's only morning, and then by night i forget..my friend suggested taking it when i eat dinner so i know that dinner time = pill time..but my memory sucks :(

*Buttercup*

HSC
melsc said:
Question, if you guys remember how long did the side-effects take to show up?
I know things like weight gain wouldn't be instant but what about nausea, dizziness etc...first day, first few or later on? I've started today and wondering how things will go.
I felt nauseous from day one or two... it only lasted maybe two weeks, something like that. so it was pretty immediate for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)