• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (5 Viewers)

danberg

HSC
attention: Woolworths supermarket employees

TT just did another woolworths story
this time about a couple of cases of ppl buying stuff that turned out to be under-weight

so expect your regular "they're out to get me" type customers to be extra bitchy in the next few days

ah i see... Supermarket rip-off - Today Tonight

and i thought THOSE customers couldn't get any worse, looks like now they actually have some ammunition.

greekgun

HSC
mate you obviously have no idea how your CSM works out his/her rosters, or the resources they have to help them.

one day when you're bored at work get your boss to log into office for you, and look up the sales breakdown by hour for any particular day. it'll show you exactly when the busy periods of the day are, and when it is quiet.
Yeah but wat im saying is, the periods which the office workers have deemed busy can sometimes turn out unexpectedly busier than usual, and because the CSM have to follow a budget set by the office (the budget is worked out by how busy it is expected to be with respect to how many workers are needed to b on shift to handle the customers),so they can only put on the staff which the office thinks is necessary; which turns out to be not enough when it gets unexpectedly busy because the supermarkets take a conservative approach to their expenses.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
okay, i feel we should call a truce now on the issue, and bitch about the bosses instead :p

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Man am I buggered today. It was literally twenty questions for the grad program, took me over 90 mins to answer them all. And Taleo is shit and I kept getting this error message saying exceeding 1000 chars for Q. X. Despite the fact that a) they didn't say there was a limit and b) they didn't keep a count so I had to delete words here and there and hope it went under.

Nervously hopeful to get a spot I guess.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Man am I buggered today. It was literally twenty questions for the grad program, took me over 90 mins to answer them all. And Taleo is shit and I kept getting this error message saying exceeding 1000 chars for Q. X. Despite the fact that a) they didn't say there was a limit and b) they didn't keep a count so I had to delete words here and there and hope it went under.

Nervously hopeful to get a spot I guess.
graduate program eh? what area did you apply for?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Buying and Marketing. I am doing a marketing degree at MQ so it makes sense. They only take in 20 a year, so its going to be competitive.

I have applied for Aldi as well, because they offer $82.3k starting salary, five weeks annual leave and a company car for first years, rising to $127k by fourth year. Woolworths say they offer a 'competitive and attractive' salary, but I would be hugely surprised if it was above $50k. It is Woolworths, after all.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
I took a Annual leave for a Sunday Shift at Big W, I was paid my normal rate, should have they paid me my Sunday rate...????

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I took a Annual leave for a Sunday Shift at Big W, I was paid my normal rate, should have they paid me my Sunday rate...????
technically, yes, but in my experience they never do pay penalty rates on Annual leave for some reason

edit: probably out of laziness

Last edited:

greekgun

HSC
i dont get any sick leave, annual leave or any other type of leave because im a casual worker. Makes me wonder whether the couple of dollars an hr for being casual is worth being a casual.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
It's so not worth the extra money...
I was originally a bit miffed at the idea of going from a 10 hr/week casual to 10 hr/week part time.. but I really don't miss the extra ~20 dollars when I take 6 weeks paid leave, and still have another 10 weeks accrued left...

greekgun

HSC
It's so not worth the extra money...
I was originally a bit miffed at the idea of going from a 10 hr/week casual to 10 hr/week part time.. but I really don't miss the extra ~20 dollars when I take 6 weeks paid leave, and still have another 10 weeks accrued left...
yeah sometimes i wouldn't mind abit of job security too. i might ask but im not sure whether they would say yes or no. When ur a part timer can they just fire u like that, or are they obliged to keep u on for a certain amout of timed that u have signed onto?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I'm almost certain they can't simply fire you...
It's definitely a lot more difficult to fire someone who is P/T compared with CAS.
Plus the hours are guaranteed, which is definitely a positive and another reason I don't mind being P/T.

mitch179

HSC
yeah sometimes i wouldn't mind abit of job security too. i might ask but im not sure whether they would say yes or no. When ur a part timer can they just fire u like that, or are they obliged to keep u on for a certain amout of timed that u have signed onto?
Unless you've done something VERY wrong, such as stolen money or something, they must give you a certain amount of notice (depending on how long you have worked there)
I think it's 2 weeks minimum, and the longer you've worked there, the more notice they have to give you.
You'd have to check your agreement.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
~

technically, yes, but in my experience they never do pay penalty rates on Annual leave for some reason

edit: probably out of laziness
Thanks! I will be onto them today, I want my $25! I already gave up on a few hours they didn't pay me last month(like dealing with robots, can never speak to anyone in the cash office..), but not anymore...

YAJYAJ

HSC
Does anyone know when Big W do their next stocktake? from memory they did the last one in October (I think)

ytrbut

HSC
Unless you've done something VERY wrong, such as stolen money or something, they must give you a certain amount of notice (depending on how long you have worked there)
I think it's 2 weeks minimum, and the longer you've worked there, the more notice they have to give you.
You'd have to check your agreement.
For South Australia (the agreement I know because it's the one I work under):

Period of continuous service --> Period of notice
Less than 1 year --> 1 week
1 year and less than 3 years --> 2 weeks
3 years and less than 5 years --> 3 weeks
5 years and over --> 4 weeks

(s.20.1.1 of the Agreement)

That's for termination only; if they make your position redundant, and hence want to terminate your employment for that reason, it's a far more lengthy set of conditions and payments.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I never get paid penalty rates for Sunday's either when I take annual leave. Or the 30% for working after midnight in nightfill for that matter. I just assumed thats the way the system works, so I generally try and return to work on a Sunday when I go on holidays.

Townie, not expecting you to know this, but your opinion: if I get the graduate position, would my accrued leave be transferred over or just paid out? I am hoping the hours get transferred over (I have 100 atm, six weeks leave on my p/t contract, should be easily 200 by Feb, even with a couple of weeks holidays I am taking) - and get converted into five weeks leave at the much higher rate of pay I would be earning. Wishing thinking, probably.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I never get paid penalty rates for Sunday's either when I take annual leave. Or the 30% for working after midnight in nightfill for that matter. I just assumed thats the way the system works, so I generally try and return to work on a Sunday when I go on holidays.

Townie, not expecting you to know this, but your opinion: if I get the graduate position, would my accrued leave be transferred over or just paid out? I am hoping the hours get transferred over (I have 100 atm, six weeks leave on my p/t contract, should be easily 200 by Feb, even with a couple of weeks holidays I am taking) - and get converted into five weeks leave at the much higher rate of pay I would be earning. Wishing thinking, probably.
not sure, i know if you transferred between stores all your leave and stuff would transfer over, I also know if you transfer off salary to EBA, your leave gets paid out not transferred

i'd assume that they would pay it out, so that you cant take it at what is presumably a higher rate of pay later on down the track.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)