The Woolworths Thread (4 Viewers)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Omg I forgot to share my funny story.

I was doing trolleys today and one wouldn't fit into the others and I go, out loud, to the trolley:
"get IN, you racist slut!!"

Yes, I called a trolley a racist slut. Out loud. Angrily.

groovygirl

HSC
lol the trolleys sometimes just dont fit when i push it in so i let the trolley man or the security guard to take it

im working in the smokeshop for all my shifts next week, hoping that my night manager wont move me straight onto a register when it get heaps busy, she loves to take me away from the smokeshop when my CSM goes home

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
We've got this thing every hour that we send over a chime on the PA...

Me: So, what the hell does that shit mean?
Supervisor: Ummm.... it's this new thing we have to do
Me: .... Go on
Supervisor: Well, every time you hear it, you stop, look around you for anything that could be unsafe to you, your colleagues or customers
Me: So... We are only allowed common sense once every hour??
Supervisor: Exactly.
At our store, every hour, "Attention all staff, return to your departments, service zero is now commencing, all staff return to their departments immediately for service zero, thank you".

Fucken waste of time.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
My Department Manager is away for another MONTH! Which means I'm still acting Produce Manager YAY :p

lacho95

HSC
At our store, every hour, "Attention all staff, return to your departments, service zero is now commencing, all staff return to their departments immediately for service zero, thank you".

Fucken waste of time.
What is service zero? never heard of it??

Tragesty

HSC
Hey guys,

Coming down with a cold/flu (god damn I wish my immune system wasn't a piece of crap), and this is the first time it's happening with me fully working (as a casual, but last time I got sick was when I had induction stuff).

Anyway, my Deli Manager seems to be away lately, so I called my ohter manager (I think he's the duty manager, as he's the one in charge when my Deli Manager is away) and i told him I wouldnt be able to work Friday, Sat and Sunday (total of 15 hours) due to being sick. He told me to call the store manager and I did so.

I don't know much about my store manager, but from my chat with him he seems like one of those arrogant/bitchy types, but maybe he's just doing his job.

Anyway, I told him the situation of me being sick (I said I had a cold, however considering i just found out I have a temperate I think it may be a bit worse) and he said taking three days off for a cold is a bit much (and I suppose it is) and that I should take Friday off only. In my mind I was purely thinking that as a casual, can't I cancel shifts? Two/three days in advance and he was telling me I should work Saturday Sunday, despite me knowing well I'll still be sick by then (from past experiences).

He said I needed a Doctor's Certificate if I was to take the three days off rather then just the one (Friday). I just agreed along what he said (I guess I can't stand up for myself, I didn't want my store manager to hate me).

Anyway, enough muttering on, my question is, as a casual employee, why couldn't I cancel my shifts today (Thursday) for Saturday and Sunday? My Duty Manager probably forward me on to the store manager because my Deli Manager is away, and maybe I'm assuming the wrong thing about what he said (rather he may have been suggestions to work) but the way he applied it seemed like he was pissed off and I *have* to work Sat/Sunday. I would understand this if I was part time/full time, but does this apply for casuals too?

Hope someone can share some information as to whether I can just cancel shifts (say somethings com up), or if I need a certificate.

Thanks for reading all my blabbering XD

HSC
You do not need drs certs as a casual. BUT - if I were you I would have just said something along the lines of, look I'm sick today and can't work, I will let you know if I need saturday off as well.

He's just doing his job. When I had Swine Flu (which I'm fairly sure went through my department, though I was the only one tested), I had to ring up on every single day I couldn't work. By the third day, I was put through to the store manager, and he really quizzed me about it. Asked him to ring him with my test results so he was aware of it. So I did, this was a Friday, I had been sick since the prior Saturday. He responded with, well I really need you in tomorrow, its too hard to cover your shifts. So yeah, I did cash office with a god awful flu - reassuring the other girl in there that I would have already made her sick the previous week.

As to why you can't cancel your shifts - coz it'll be fricken impossible to replace. If you're sick thats one thing, but if people could just ring up on Thurs and get rid of their weekend shifts, we'd be down half our weekend staff, haha. Not saying you aren't sick, but as Supervisors/Managers we're meant to be a little suspicious of these things.

Tragesty

HSC
I understand that, but I don't see myself fit to work sick in the Deli Depertment, and I'll be going to the doctor's tommorow morning to get a certificate to give to my store manager (despite not needing it), I however fear he could dismiss me purely because he may not like me now (I always have a fear of being dismissed for no reason ><. I could work, but the chances of me contamining the food seems pretty high (one can only wash their hands so many times); why would he want someone who's sick with a cold/flu to work? Surely he's better off trying to find someone to replace him then to have me work sick?

In the end, I (now) know I can cancel my shift, but can my store manager dismiss me one day for no reason at all, purely because he doesn't like me? I know it seems irrational but I fear it anyway.

If I provided the doctor's certificate, would he be a little more understanding in the matter? Or still want me to work the weekends? Sorry if it all seems confusing.

HSC
Because you work in Deli you have a much stronger case. When you go to the doctor, mention this, and get them to write "Tragesty has a medical condition and is unfit to work IN A FOOD DISTRIBUTION ENVIRONMENT" or something along those lines. If your manager wants it, give him the med cert. But TBH I don't think you would need to.

Unfortunately because you're new he might just be being VERY cautious. But being sick is not something to be dismissed over. TBH, its quite hard to be fired from woolies, unless you're stealing or calling in sick for our shifts so you can work elsewhere.

beefnoodle

HSC
I went to the Group and 2nd interview. The store manager said he will call me back. But it has been 4 days already. Is this normal? I have exam this and next week. Hope he does not call during exam times.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Re: Casuals cancelling shifts.

Last month I had a casual just cancel a shift for no reason what so ever, leaving me on my own for that Saturday, and because of that one time I now refuse to give her any hours, even when she asks for them. Sure you can't help if you're sick, but she didn't give me a reason hence why I'm not giving her any more hours.

Unfortunately, it's people like this that ruin it for the genuinely sick people (Like you Tragesty). My recommendation is to still present the doctor's certificate to your Store Manager because this just reaffirms your case and you also have to understand that yes you are only casual and you might be able to cancel your shifts as you like, but at the end of the day it is a business and not a play ground which you can just walk on and off when you please.

Tragesty

HSC
Yes, thats true. Normally I wouldn't cancel three shifts on such abrupt notice, but since I'm sick, I'll present the doctor's certificate so my manager understands that I am, infact, not fit to work.

Casuals who do cancel just for the hell of it do ruin it for the rest of us who one day will need to cancel for certain manners :(

lacho95

HSC
I've never cancelled a shift in my entire time employed at woolies (which is actually only like 4 months) because im a good employee

I cant fucking stand how 50% of people call up sick on saturdays and we end up with only 6 or so checkouts open!!!
Grr... it shits me off.,
We need more supervisors like Lordtophat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)