The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
I've been with Woolies for bout 3 1/2 year, turned 18 recently.... goin to get my RSA tomorrow from friggin Norwest...

Middle of nowhere for me! (I live local to my Woolies, Westfield Burwood)

Who else here got their RSA through the company? Do we get paid for that day?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
you do get paid, though be warned, i dont know whether this is still the case, but it at least used to be the case that Woolworths RSA's only allowed you to work in Bottleshops, NOT pubs or clubs

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
Bahhh, I knew there had to be a catch to Woolies doing something productive for potential careers outside of Woolworths. Damnit! =P

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Do you Safeway/Woolworth guys care If my parents of the Staff Discount Card's owner uses it?, do you guys ever ask for ID for it, and can you use them on those "Serve yourself" machine things, in which I have yet to tackle

blakegman

HSC
N/A
milocole said:
Do you Safeway/Woolworth guys care If my parents of the Staff Discount Card's owner uses it?, do you guys ever ask for ID for it, and can you use them on those "Serve yourself" machine things, in which I have yet to tackle
Never asked don't care.

It's not my money and it's more hassle then it would be worth to check.

Then again im pretty laissez-faire, if something wont scan after a few swipes i just put it in free.

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
Milo, for my store, we pretty much don't give a rats, I don't even check the name on the card when I scan it, but technically we should, so theres the chance that the card would be confiscated....

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
blakegman said:
Never asked don't care.

It's not my money and it's more hassle then it would be worth to check.

Then again im pretty laissez-faire, if something wont scan after a few swipes i just put it in free.
you dont even punch in the barcode!

blakegman

HSC
N/A
townie said:
you dont even punch in the barcode!
Not if there is a 'reduced to clear' label covering the number which i cant get off.

or i get that stupid control thing when something is reduced below 50%.

groovygal

HSC
N/A
got my wk 10 appraisal today n shit man..its bad..well not all bad..but bad in my opinion..apparently i don't show a sense of urgency and enthusiasm...i need to smile more.. look like i wanna b there..haha yes...try smiling working at woolies..oh and i've arrived late a few times (usually cos traffic and sleeping in) ..neway do u guys remember wat ure appraisals were like..AM SO OVER THIS PLACE ..gotta think of the moneys tho

blakegman

HSC
N/A
groovygal said:
got my wk 10 appraisal today n shit man..its bad..well not all bad..but bad in my opinion..apparently i don't show a sense of urgency and enthusiasm...i need to smile more.. look like i wanna b there..haha yes...try smiling working at woolies..oh and i've arrived late a few times (usually cos traffic and sleeping in) ..neway do u guys remember wat ure appraisals were like..AM SO OVER THIS PLACE ..gotta think of the moneys tho
Your manager must be serious.

Mine just came over and said "read over this and sign it"

It just had all good things, though some stupid ones like 'law abiding" which we both laughed at.

Oh and believe me i am no superstar at work, i shop up hungover, have had to leave the register to throw up, hardly smile at people and don't really give a shit when people complain.

greekgun

HSC
blakegman said:
Not if there is a 'reduced to clear' label covering the number which i cant get off.

God dammit i hate it when dairy or the grocery department put those sticker things over the barcode. Got a funny story about it actualy...one day when i was working on the express lane, a customer comes in buying a packet of meat which was discounted to like 2 dollars something. And when i ussualy try scanning something and it doesnt go through, and i try puting in the barcode and shit and the line is massive, i just put the item in for free because the line will just keep on getting bigger and shit because the grocery department take ages to get to ur register when u call them. Anywho this lady only bought one item; and i couldnt scan it because some grocery dick put the sticker over the barcode, now when i called grocery he came up to me and was pissed of because i interupted what he was doing and i said "I wouldnt have to call u if u did ur fuking job properly " and then showed him the sticker.

patternott

HSC
Hey everyone,
I just got a job at BigW Doncaster and ive got a few questions.
1. How much is the pay for a 17 year old at BigW?
2. How long is probation?
3. Any idea when BigW Doncaster opens?
4. When do i get my Staff Discount Card, is it after the probation period?
5. Finally, What is the Staff Discount?

Thanks in advance,
Jordan

Last edited:

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
1. Pay is like $11.?5 (sorry, theres a hole in my payslip)
2. Probation is 3months
3.Usually 2-3months after starting working
4.Staff cards come when they have been printed and usually about 1-2months after you start your first shift
5. 5%, lol

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
your pay isn't the standard casual rate when you first start.

For the first 3 months or so, you get the probationary period pay rate which increases after you finish that period.
Staff discount is 5% yep, but it's not 5% off the woolworth's caltex petrol unfortunately -_-. On woolworth's caltex petrol stations, you get 4c off per litre of fuel.

my mum got my discount card confiscated off me when one of the bitchier supervisors served her and asked if it was her discount card.

It's not that hard to get the reduced to clears off. But wait till your shop has the self serve things in. The reduced to clear stickers are now printed off via the little machine that they use for stock takes, etc. Forgot their name. RF gun i think.

Anyway the printed reduced to clear stickers have barcodes on them so yeah. you don't have to peel it off anymore. But it's much more annoying for deli where you have to find the duty manager to get him/her to reduce the chickens at night when manager isn't on or there isn't anyone that is working has access to the RF gun.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
shinji said:
It's not that hard to get the reduced to clears off. But wait till your shop has the self serve things in. The reduced to clear stickers are now printed off via the little machine that they use for stock takes, etc. Forgot their name. RF gun i think.

Anyway the printed reduced to clear stickers have barcodes on them so yeah. you don't have to peel it off anymore. But it's much more annoying for deli where you have to find the duty manager to get him/her to reduce the chickens at night when manager isn't on or there isn't anyone that is working has access to the RF gun.
I find them to be hard when they are stuck right over the barcode on something like meat. Because the packaging is just glad wrap essentially, it's hard to get off without breaking the seal on the meat.

I also bite my nails which is part of the problem im sure. But fuck me, why over the barcode ? retards.

tillllly

HSC
blakegman said:
I also bite my nails which is part of the problem im sure. But fuck me, why over the barcode ? retards.
cause otherwise we dick head cashiers scan the barcode without looking and we have to put it through as a scanning policy which means supervisors get in shit.. is annoying however.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Righteo,
We are opening a new BigW store and on opening day (thursday), they have given me 7pm-Midnight(kill me now), and there is no way that I am going to get no sleep when I have a damn English SaC the next morning. I spoke to one "Business Manager" and she said "Ha, you have got to be kidding me, its opening day man"(I couldn't give a shit bitch, Im in year 12(yes she is a HSC dropout, lol)), so Ive got a excuse now(about parents not letting me work past 10pm, cause Im failing skool blahblahblah..) and am going to see Some other guy. Seriously, why not just roster me on like 4pm-9pm, that I can do now.

The reason I damn came to BigW, was cause my old Maccas Job gave me all late shifts, so little time for Homework, hence averaging about 50% in all tests, so this isn't good.

BigW cannot give me those hours can they???, there not in my avalilability

I feel like burning the place down, what should I do??

HSC
I take the tickets down on a Sunday evening...on the roster is says I'm a 'Systems Operator' on that day...
Should I include this in my resume alongside being a service cashier or is it just...no. Is it too small a job to put down...?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
milocole said:
Righteo,
We are opening a new BigW store and on opening day (thursday), they have given me 7pm-Midnight(kill me now), and there is no way that I am going to get no sleep when I have a damn English SaC the next morning. I spoke to one "Business Manager" and she said "Ha, you have got to be kidding me, its opening day man"(I couldn't give a shit bitch, Im in year 12(yes she is a HSC dropout, lol)), so Ive got a excuse now(about parents not letting me work past 10pm, cause Im failing skool blahblahblah..) and am going to see Some other guy. Seriously, why not just roster me on like 4pm-9pm, that I can do now.

The reason I damn came to BigW, was cause my old Maccas Job gave me all late shifts, so little time for Homework, hence averaging about 50% in all tests, so this isn't good.

BigW cannot give me those hours can they???, there not in my avalilability

I feel like burning the place down, what should I do??
They can give you whatever hours they want but if you have a legit reason why you can't work you're perfectly entitled not to. See someone else, preferably more senior than this lady, and talk about it.

Alternatively you could just do it this once since they will hate you for backing out of a shift on opening day. But yeah talk to someone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)