The Woolworths Thread (9 Viewers)

nanakid12

HSC
I would try applying sometime in October or November, because they usually hire extra staff for Christmas around that time, and then they stop doing the company inductions (training days) during December and January.

As far as I know, it doesn't take that long, but then again, I work in a smaller store. It all depends I guess...

quick90

HSC
Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
Few things from me tonight.

1. Was reading that whole FRESH FAIR magazine in the tea room tonight, and it made my blood boil when I read "The relaunch is based around the 'four F's' ... supporting our farmers". So why the hell is the media still going on about this 10% decrease for Woolworths to pay which won't even be passed onto the customers!?!

2. That Coles thing is stupid. Woolworth's marketing seems more Aussie than that shite.

3. WHY WHY WHY would they replace the RF guns with iPhones?! That just seems like the worst idea ever in my opinion. They just finished putting new reception antennas in for the guns anyway... now they'll have to put in WiFi antennas as well. :(

4. Is anyone else's stores cutting back hours still? They've been good for the last week and this week, but next week there swapping my shifts around and all, so I'm doing operator shifts, and hardly any supervision :(

I'm really tall, and I don't really like being on a big checkout, because the bag racks don't actually hang up high enough... express ones do, but they'd never leave me on express for more than 5 minutes at a time when I'm an operator, our express is only open when it's busy.

BSammy

HSC
I'm the opposite, our express don't adjust to high enough.

Express makes my back hurt after a while, but big registers are great.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
On our express, you can put the rack up higher but it's not an official height level. Much better than big registers.
Counting express is a cunt though and makes my back hurt. I'm quite tall and the tills are really low compared to mains.

Also, look what I had to count the other day. There were NO coin bags left. There was more than a hundred in most of them, I kid you not. That operator got a stern speaking to....

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
I'm the opposite, our express don't adjust to high enough.

Express makes my back hurt after a while, but big registers are great.
On our express, you can put the rack up higher but it's not an official height level. Much better than big registers.
Counting express is a cunt though and makes my back hurt. I'm quite tall and the tills are really low compared to mains.
I don't mind being on big registers, I just hate being on them for an extended period of time (for say, 5 hours straight). But I would much rather be on express. I know there isn't much room, but I don't mind. I've no trouble counting express, it's smokeshop that I hate counting. Those tills are so low.

Also, look what I had to count the other day. There were NO coin bags left. There was more than a hundred in most of them, I kid you not. That operator got a stern speaking to....
Holy shit, that is bad. Did they ask to change registers or anything? Faaaark. Also, how did you manage to get a camera in there? :p

EDIT: Or am I missing the fact that they emptied all their coin bags in there... was this taken after the notes were sent out the back?

Yesterday, one operator accidentally put in an extra 0 in when a customer wanted $70.00 cashout... she was not happy when $700.00 was taken out. Kinda funny in a way... well for me.

Seriously though, are any of you guy's still experiencing cuts?

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Yeah we were doing end of night finals, notes were sent up already. There was no coin bags left cause the operator had opened them all in the till

britto89

HSC
3. WHY WHY WHY would they replace the RF guns with iPhones?! That just seems like the worst idea ever in my opinion. They just finished putting new reception antennas in for the guns anyway... now they'll have to put in WiFi antennas as well. :(
I highly doubt they will replace them with iPhones but if they did they wouldn't have to install new antennas. The new phones and RF guns run over WiFi. The older brick RF guns and old phones used to run on separate systems which meant there were lots of antennas everywhere. they have cut down on this now.

quick90

HSC
lets say theres about 750 stores that have an average of 10 RF units to be replaced with iPhones. 7,500 iPhones! If paying full retail thats $800 per phone (4s) = $6,000,000 for the switch.

You also have homeshop, thats another 8 guns for about 80 stores. so another $512,000. please correct my math if I have missed something :)

One of the reasons given was that an RF unit costs about $4000 to replace, while an iPhone is only about $800 outright. And thats retail price, obviously they would get them cheaper for buying in BULK.

Last edited:

NNS7

HSC
N/A
lets say theres about 750 stores that have an average of 10 RF units to be replaced with iPhones. 7,500 iPhones! If paying full retail thats $800 per phone (4s) = $6,000,000 for the switch.

You also have homeshop, thats another 8 guns for about 80 stores. so another $512,000. please correct my math if I have missed something :)

One of the reasons given was that an RF unit costs about $4000 to replace, while an iPhone is only about $800 outright. And thats retail price, obviously they would get them cheaper for buying in BULK.
I have heard there is talk of using an ipod touch with RF capabilities, but I think its unlikely to happen. Think about how delicate they are and how much abuse the RF guns take. This is only a rumor going around.

Also, we have around 870 stores.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Using an iPhone just seems to be asking for trouble, and theft etc, besides you'd have to use the camera to scan narcosis which doesn't seem to make much sense. I can see iPhones supplementing RF units though given their lower cost

powlmao

Banned
HSC
The RF unit is the telZone thing right? The gun like thing.

I hate those they are so bulky. I am legit the only person in my store who knows how to use them properly.

BSammy

HSC
YEAH FUCKERS I JUST LOST A SHIFT!

shouldn't the cuts be over?

also, that draw, hahaha that's fucked

Clank_

HSC
Seriously though, are any of you guy's still experiencing cuts?
There have been cuts in nightfill/perishables to the minimum required hours for the load or even short hours. Our store is also a trial store in which they are testing only filling with shelf ready boxes (all boxes that arent already will be made shelf ready and shelf space will be increased to be adequate for the box size) and only filling if 75% of the box can go on (used to be 50%). I'm assuming this is to increase productivity so hours can be cut even more. It seems to me the result will most likely be fewer nightfill and more day workers as a lot of the night load will now be overs in the short term before they find the right numbers and get a smaller night load. Funnily enough I've heard they've hired ten new nightfillers....

As a precaution I've started looking for another job, and luckily my local Coles is finally hiring :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)