The Woolworths Thread (6 Viewers)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
idk, hard to describe, normally i just go with availability first, then experience. the more your available, the better shifts i will give you, if two people have identical availability, then i'll go for experienced operators first. but i also try share around the hours where possible, simply because if you keep putting the same people on the same shit shifts, then they just say they can work less, which isnt what i want. but it isnt that easy to be fair, and get the shifts filled, at the end of the day you have to screw around your staff sometimes to get the job done, i dont like doing it, but i know it needs to be done.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Proud to say I have only ever called in sick once in my life and I came to work anyway, just did Grocery. That's in 3 years.

The service supervisors at the store I did a shift at on Monday were saying how they have a chronic problem with staff just not turning up. The say on weekends that it is the norm, and how they tend to save a lot of money through just banking on the fact that 2 or 3 people won't turn up for their shifts.

One repeat offender was filling smokes behind as we were talking about it and the supv raised her voice and was like "AND THEY THINK THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT!" so said girl could hear. was funny. But I was surprised, because that NEVER happens at my store, and if someone doesn't turn up there's a massive hoo-ha.

theonemanshow

HSC
Hi, on the topic of casual workers, do managers get p*seed off if a casual changes his availability because he got another part time job but wants to keep working at Woolies? (eg from 24/7 to 2 days a week). Also, how many weeks of notice should the casual give to the manager in regards to the change in availability? Cheers.

Otacon2009

HSC
Unless there is a potential conflict of interest such as working at a rival company, you have to tell them. If your rosters are coming into conflict, try to work an agreement with your new employer first. Other than that, simply go along the lines of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

I recently got a second job as a Christmas Casual to supplement my Woolworths income. I haven't told them because the company in question doesn't fit the criteria of a potential conflict of interest and I actually get to dictate when I work by filling my own roster. There is the inevitability Woolworths will find out, but I've got that covered.

groovygirl

HSC
im a casual, i did often like N/A weeks off work during the trial hsc exams and the actual hsc exams, studying for exams was important, they understood there are alot of service operators doing their hsc like me so i wasnt alone there.

We have an n/a book at the service desk so i n/a just 1 week cos most of my hsc exams were in the one week and i n/a one day that the maths exam was on and then it was back to work after my last hsc exam on the friday.

i called in sick once because of a death in the family - my grand father. it was taken into consideration but i went to work the next day. I do get my shifts swapped to a different day and time if i have something important on family wise so i can swap a shift with another service operator or my CSM asks me to work at a time and day that i can cos i always say yes to extra shifts

is saying yes to extra shifts bad? i do say yes everytime even when i have to sacrifice a visiting my family or doing homework or other things that come up like driving lessons etc

im that motivated to work but is 3 - 4 - 5 shifts a week good ?

HSC
Okay, I'm proposing a scenario - help.

A particular operator (not a very good one) has been regularly noshowing for shifts. Last week he was 20 minutes late, so I made him speak to our SSM. On Saturday he was again late, and dressed appallingly. He was then given a formal counselling session by our STM.
Today, he doesn't turn up. Doesn't answer his phone, etc. I was instructed to cancel his shift, and find someone else to do it. Which I did.
Here's the issue - If we can't get hold of him, are we then obliged to keep the shift free. So if he turns up on Sat morning, can he be sent home? Its not my fault he doesn't turn his phone on.
Opinions?

idk, hard to describe, normally i just go with availability first, then experience. the more your available, the better shifts i will give you, if two people have identical availability, then i'll go for experienced operators first. but i also try share around the hours where possible, simply because if you keep putting the same people on the same shit shifts, then they just say they can work less, which isnt what i want. but it isnt that easy to be fair, and get the shifts filled, at the end of the day you have to screw around your staff sometimes to get the job done, i dont like doing it, but i know it needs to be done.
Yeah thats what I expected. Its just I was watching my CSM a few weeks ago doing rosters and it just seemed like all she was doing was whacking random people with random shifts. So I got thinking that maybe there was a requirement to share the hours out.
idk, I just would rather have the same people do my shifts so everything gets into a routine. But thats pretty selfish of me.

im that motivated to work but is 3 - 4 - 5 shifts a week good ?
Depending on the length of the shifts, 3-5 per week is excellent. I normally get 3 per week, tues (supervision), fri (operator) and sat (tickets/cash office) afternoons. Thats during uni though. If I have full availability it usually ends up being 5-6 days.

bensneddon

HSC
Okay, I'm proposing a scenario - help.

A particular operator (not a very good one) has been regularly noshowing for shifts. Last week he was 20 minutes late, so I made him speak to our SSM. On Saturday he was again late, and dressed appallingly. He was then given a formal counselling session by our STM.
Today, he doesn't turn up. Doesn't answer his phone, etc. I was instructed to cancel his shift, and find someone else to do it. Which I did.
Here's the issue - If we can't get hold of him, are we then obliged to keep the shift free. So if he turns up on Sat morning, can he be sent home? Its not my fault he doesn't turn his phone on.
Opinions?
If the employee does not present for three consecutive rostered shifts, excluding any mitigating circumstances, the store manager can send an 'abandonment of employment' letter. Speak to the SM.

gypo101

HSC
hey guys
wat does apprentice baker at woolworths involve,
what do u do for interview
wat r u required to do for the job
wat r u required to know
how much do u earn
thanx in advance

DM Mike

HSC
I think technically youd have to pay him for the shift, as im pretty sure there is a provision in most EBA's that says adjusting rosters have to be given an amount of time in writing and in consultation with the employee. There is also the issue that youre not meant to use reduction of hours as a disciplinary measure.

However, that said, is the guy likely to do anything?

And here in SA the abandonment provision says after 2 consecutive shifts, you dont have to wait for the third...

yoddle

is cool
HSC
This started happening to one operator in the middle of this year.
The CSM gave her three shifts over a three week period, which were additions to the roster, i.e. if she actually turned up then we'd have one extra person than was necessary.
When she didn't turn up we had to try and ring her (she wouldn't answer) and then just write down that she hadn't shown up. After that period was over we could sack her.
She rocked up on the second week asking for a resignation form anyways. But was the procedure CSM followed, probably on the advice of SSM, SM.

theonemanshow

HSC
For those guys in management roles and for those who have done it, could transferring between departments during your probabtion periods be done and if so, does that impact your 6/10 apprisals (eg, previous department manager having input in those) in a negative way? Cheers :D

brookie94

HSC
hey,
yesterday i had an interview that was 1 on 1, it went pretty well and i got a 2nd interview straight away. she said i did well and thought i would do well in the position.
what does the second interview involve?
what do i need to take? she already has a copy of my birth certificate and ID and resume,
BTW im only 14 and 10 months

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
is saying yes to extra shifts bad? i do say yes everytime even when i have to sacrifice a visiting my family or doing homework or other things that come up like driving lessons etc
This depends, to your manager it shows you are keen and reliable worker but you have to draw the line and learn when to say No.

No
–adverb
1. (a negative used to express dissent, denial, or refusal, as in response to a question or request)

groovygirl

HSC
oh alright cos i end up saying yes to every new shift im too afraid of saying no cos they depend on me and rely on me when they ask me to do extra shifts

i has to say no and change around 2 shifts cos one rostered shift was inbetween my last hsc exam like midway through so i had to compromise with my CSM on starting a bit later so it worked out

is a 10 hour shift good for a service operator?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)