The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

HSC
Back from work. Did 6-3 smoke shop. I want to go back to Bali!!! Not looking forward to supervision this week, apparently hours are being cut. My CSM goes have fun tomorrow and I was like why? He just said Cutting hours.

And lol, I was upstairs when they where talking about the christmas front end roster and the SSM was looking at the grand total number of hours for xmas eve and she goes "omg, I'm scared" lol and I was like so am I. She looked and almost had a heart attack. Appaz..its alot.
Aw. we have the same problem -_- so many people are like I cannot work christmas eve, they can but there just being Sulky about it, I'm actually suprisingly looking forward to working christmas eve, cos it will go fast and I usually do grocceries > deli > checkouts > smokeshop. Also I'm not the poor bastard shopping and freaking out I have forgotten something :eek:. Plus I have to stop spending my pay :( on junk I need at the time, and regret later

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey, got 3 newbies on Monday for Phase III induction, will they already have register training in I & II, or will I have to train them from scratch?

Harry778

HSC
Like they've cut a lot of hours or there's soo many people on. Last year we had so many people on that I didn't have a register after 1pm. :D

Have work in two hours. Closing on my own probably, so 22 tills to count. Since I'm now 18 and can sign on I have to count liquor tills as well :cry:
It's cos we have heaps of people on. Cos we're a fairly busy store and quite large. We will have every register open from 10am to 8pm (close at 10)

She also said (jokingly) we'll have to stay open the whole night to cover the wages. lol. But yer the hours we have are massive, so we're trying to save as much as possible untill christmas week.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
hey, got 3 newbies on Monday for Phase III induction, will they already have register training in I & II, or will I have to train them from scratch?
No, they will already know how to use WoWPOS. Phase II training is checkout/department training. They would have learnt to use and served on registers in Phase II.

Phase III is just the first shift (according to my 'welcome' email)

twelvemonths

HSC
Is it OK to be rostered on for smokeshop and then put on self-serve, or a similar situation where your supervisor or manager tells you to do something you're not rostered for, in contravention of what you are rostered for? If that's not clear

Your roster says
SMOKESHP
08:00 - 12:00

and, when you rock up, your manager tells you to jump on a normal register processing bills of $100, etc.

bensneddon

HSC
Is it OK to be rostered on for smokeshop and then put on self-serve, or a similar situation where your supervisor or manager tells you to do something you're not rostered for, in contravention of what you are rostered for? If that's not clear

Your roster says
SMOKESHP
08:00 - 12:00

and, when you rock up, your manager tells you to jump on a normal register processing bills of $100, etc.
In WA, this is ok. All non-salaried Grade 2 staff are employed as 'Shop Assistants' under the SDA agreement, and can be asked to do anything that any other Grade 2 employee can.

twelvemonths

HSC
Thanks for that.

In my job advert (about a year ago) it said 'service cashier', but I am now trained in other areas. If I'm rostered on for those other areas (S/S, SCO, etc.) and I'm told to do regular checkouts, that's OK then?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I hope not. I have a 7 hour S/M (smoke shop) shift and I better not be working on registers! Twelvemonths, I am also trained in SCO (just recent) if that makes any difference.

Cheers

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A manager has a right to direct you to do any work that is within your training and experience. in other words, if your trained for it, you have to do it, no questions, no arguments.

in other words, a service cashier cant be told to work deli if they arent trained. but a smokeshop operator could be told to do checkouts, and rightly so in my opinion, there's no point having employees who arent willing to be multi-skilled.

twelvemonths

HSC
A manager has a right to direct you to do any work that is within your training and experience. in other words, if your trained for it, you have to do it, no questions, no arguments.

in other words, a service cashier cant be told to work deli if they arent trained. but a smokeshop operator could be told to do checkouts, and rightly so in my opinion, there's no point having employees who arent willing to be multi-skilled.
aww... sometimes I get really excited about my s/s shift (that's how sad I am) and then they put me on checkouts.

twelvemonths

HSC
oh, and before I forget: what's the policy on 'express lanes'? our lane lights just say 'express'... not 10 items or less or anything

HSC
Its fifteen items or less :)

I love working on smokeshop ...just wish i got more shifts on it!, Do you have to be O/18 to do shifts on it now? cos some kids who work with me who are like 14-15 get more shifts on it than me -_-

brookie94

HSC
No, they will already know how to use WoWPOS. Phase II training is checkout/department training. They would have learnt to use and served on registers in Phase II.

Phase III is just the first shift (according to my 'welcome' email)
no you've got it all wrong, I just finished phase I and II and they were both just theory crap and videos. Phase III according to my offer of employment letter, is department specific training and then after that you have your 1st shift so the people you get will basically have no idea about anything like registers or wowpos

kahlanei

HSC
oh, and before I forget: what's the policy on 'express lanes'? our lane lights just say 'express'... not 10 items or less or anything

I've been told to put anything but trolleys through. If there's a person with a trolley with only two cartons of soft drink, I'm not supposed to put them through, but I'm allowed to put through two full baskets. I find that kinda ridiculous, but apparently that's the way it works... =/

kahlanei

HSC
no you've got it all wrong, I just finished phase I and II and they were both just theory crap and videos. Phase III according to my offer of employment letter, is department specific training and then after that you have your 1st shift so the people you get will basically have no idea about anything like registers or wowpos

I had the same. Phase I and II, all theory and a general tour of the store, then straight onto registers to figure it out. :p But we're in the only store in the area, so it might have been different... I had my whole induction on one day (8:30 - 5:30) in the store I was to be working in... Apparently it's different for those in the city?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)