The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

mak5

HSC
N/A
Was thinking of getting my team a small gift for Xmas. Maybe take them to lunch or dinner on Tuesday. As far as I know no DM's in my store are doing anything like this, so I think will be a good gesture :) Plus it should boost morale.

What do you guys think? (There's only 5 of us so it's not going to break the bank! :p)
I think that is a lovely gesture, but be careful My last DM took our whole dept out to dinner 1 year and there is always those who exploit the offer (eg "i don't have to pay so I will order the most expensive on the menu" Or "I normally drink beer, but since it's free I'll order a cocktail". While the thought it is lovely some may take advantage. After that year, my boss chose to reward selectively. Those of us who were key employees recieved gift vouchers and cards of appreciation privately.

mak5

HSC
N/A
I would think that going out would be more personal then a gift card - and that you even thinking about it is awesome. I know that some DM's were given gift cards last year - it was a nice gesture, but going out would be a nicer one. It also allows everyone to talk and bond closer.

Also, maybe just pay for the meals and allow people to buy their own drinks? Or just have a tab - that usually makes people think about coming back twice with an expensive drink! :)
Sorry, did'nt want to sound like such a cynic. When my DM took us out to dinner it amounted to about 12 staff members. Most of who were casuals or ppts. I just found the juniors were rude and abused his good intentions. I was soo embarassed my collegues and how they abused the situation
As for gift vouchers, I received as his 2ic a lovely gift voucher from a store which has no affiliation with woolworths. I was embarassed to recieive it, but felt blessed he felt I deserved it. BTW, he is now my STM and I am now 2ic of another trading dept and we still have great respect for each other. My point is by all means if you feel like treating them out .... go for it. But some may try to take advantage. Maybe with a team of five, you may have a better result.
Good luck, it seems the right intentions are there.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
So do I. My 'Christmas week' starts tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. Other people are so uptight about Xmas week and are like "ohh it's going to be so hard and busy and annoying" It's the BEST week in the Supermarket trade by a long shot.

IMO anyway.
Whhhhhaaat?

I'm so dreading next week! Huge loads all week with a killer on Wednesday. I work in Perishables and seriously, there is only so many pallets that can be squeezed into a coolroom!

Uplift + allocations = soul killer.

HSC
So fucking pissed about my hours next week..

Only 15 hours, and on operator. I'm meant to be doing 28 hours on self serve ffs!
Same with me. Apaz those 3IC hours I'm meant to be covering have been cut altogether, so I'm back to trying to find any hours I can.

So glad I had today off. By the sounds of it they got absolutely killed, but meh, today was my first day off in nine days. Supervising tomorrow afternoon though as my CSM has volunteered to do tickets, hehe.

mlee72

HSC
I dunno anything about the data, I have always put it in the safe, but tonight I got told I didn't need to. It just seemed a bit odd leaving it out.

Oh wells, my SSM can take the blame again. I honestly think that we manage to butt heads over EVERYTHING.
as far as i know it needs to be in the safe in case of fire ( even though the managers say that the safe would melt like an easter egg in the sunday if there ever was a fire. but i do know that all sales data "pulls back" to a data backup and for regional office to view. and any company as large as woolworths would need to back up ALL data at least 3 times a week.

HSC
i'm stalking the most lol-worthy conversation between our grocery and seafood 2IC's on facebook at the moment. so putting both of them on limited profile once i'm done...

Otacon2009

HSC
I'm jealous of you guys getting monster hours at work. I've been on them about extra hours, but we've gone absolutely anal about hours.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
We made $109,000 sales today. That is really good for us (I laugh how some stores make 1 million during busiest parts of the year)

BSammy

HSC
We made $109,000 sales today. That is really good for us (I laugh how some stores make 1 million during busiest parts of the year)
That's what our target was for Thursday. ended up with 130,000 something.

So glad I wasn't in that day.

Anyone know what they are expecting for the Wednesday Thursday before Christmas?

We're looking at 180,000/185,000.

HSC
That's what our target was for Thursday. ended up with 130,000 something.

So glad I wasn't in that day.

Anyone know what they are expecting for the Wednesday Thursday before Christmas?

We're looking at 180,000/185,000.
whoa, we did 240 yesterday. have no idea whats expected next week, though i might be able to sneak a peek tomorrow.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
as far as i know it needs to be in the safe in case of fire ( even though the managers say that the safe would melt like an easter egg in the sunday if there ever was a fire. but i do know that all sales data "pulls back" to a data backup and for regional office to view. and any company as large as woolworths would need to back up ALL data at least 3 times a week.
Yeah, data gets pulled back to Norwest as part of the end of day run, and if it doesnt pull back they get you to fax a copy of the sales report.

As for the trading statement, i don't see why it should be kept in the safe afaik that isnt official policy. It seems inconvenient as well, the SM is always borrowing it during the day, a safe acts like an oven during a fire - they're for security, not fire protection, and i dont think anybody is going to break into the store to steal the trading statements.

HSC
Yeah, data gets pulled back to Norwest as part of the end of day run, and if it doesnt pull back they get you to fax a copy of the sales report.

As for the trading statement, i don't see why it should be kept in the safe afaik that isnt official policy. It seems inconvenient as well, the SM is always borrowing it during the day, a safe acts like an oven during a fire - they're for security, not fire protection, and i dont think anybody is going to break into the store to steal the trading statements.
Fair enough then. During the day its left in cash office, just at close its put into the safe. Never mind then, I always thought there was some strict policy seeing how particular our Office Cashier/SM is about it.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
You're not going to believe how much we made....It's huge, you're not going to believe it.....................$45k :p (We do about 245/wk) Last year Xmas eve was $112 (So pretty much tripled our sales)

Re: Trading statement...Can you guys not just log on to Office and look at it?

Last edited:

Harry778

HSC
Dunno what we're expected to be doing on xmas eve. We normally make about 1.8 - 2 million per week. So I'm guessing around the $300,000 mark? I have no idea about sales lol. I only look at the cigarette sales hahaha.

Did close s/vision last night. Got totally raped! (smashed haha) Not alot got done so I stayed back doing shit for free as usual. Got home at 1.30am :mad: My dad was like 'I'm gonna fuckin go down there and tell em' to fuckin pay you for how long you fucking stayed back for' LOL. I was like..no dad.

HSC
Did close s/vision last night. Got totally raped! (smashed haha) Not alot got done so I stayed back doing shit for free as usual. Got home at 1.30am :mad: My dad was like 'I'm gonna fuckin go down there and tell em' to fuckin pay you for how long you fucking stayed back for' LOL. I was like..no dad.
My Dad said the same thing on Tuesday night. I think I worked an extra hour and 15 minutes (closed at 9, rostered to finish at 9.15, I don't know what time I left but I got home around 10.45 so I presume somewhere close to 10.30ish). At least I'll get paid for that though, but I never realised how hard close would be with one arm in a sling :eek:. Though thats nothing compared to 1.30am, and I'm very glad that we don't have those kind of trading hours.

Harry778

HSC
My Dad said the same thing on Tuesday night. I think I worked an extra hour and 15 minutes (closed at 9, rostered to finish at 9.15, I don't know what time I left but I got home around 10.45 so I presume somewhere close to 10.30ish). At least I'll get paid for that though, but I never realised how hard close would be with one arm in a sling :eek:. Though thats nothing compared to 1.30am, and I'm very glad that we don't have those kind of trading hours.
lol, yer saturday nights are the worst cos we close at midnight. Sundays are ok close at 10. Depending on how busy it is I'll get out by 11-11.30. Rarely get out at 10.30 which is when I'm meant to finish. Haha yeah my dads always going on about how they dont treat their staff well and I'm always staying back to clean up. It's my choice cos I want they place to look presentable in the morning and its not fair for the opening supervisor to deal with it. But then again if they dont give us the staff to do things why should we stay back? Which is what my dad is getting at.

HSC
lol, yer saturday nights are the worst cos we close at midnight. Sundays are ok close at 10. Depending on how busy it is I'll get out by 11-11.30. Rarely get out at 10.30 which is when I'm meant to finish. Haha yeah my dads always going on about how they dont treat their staff well and I'm always staying back to clean up. It's my choice cos I want they place to look presentable in the morning and its not fair for the opening supervisor to deal with it. But then again if they dont give us the staff to do things why should we stay back? Which is what my dad is getting at.
See this is my perspective. Ordinarily I will do the bare minimum and then leave no more than say 20-30 minutes after I'm supposed to finish, but at the end of the day you can't give me three operators all finishing at 9.15, when they've been on their registers all night and the last customers are not leaving until 9.10, and expect everything spotless. It took me that long to spot tills and get them upstairs, basic cleaning and reports.

I noticed that Wednesday and Friday night they had double the operators that I had on Tuesday...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)